Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbopro Recipes
Quote | Reply
  I've decided to make the switch to Carbopro. Obviously by itself there is no taste. Curious about palatable recipes.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbopro Recipes [Jack Bauer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to put one scoop of their chocolate protein powder in my bottle of Carbo Pro.

In an IM, on the bike, I will use 4 bottles with 6 scoops CP and one of the protein (750cals per bottle). That's about a 14 to 1 ratio of CHO to protein and 3000cal over the bike split. I get straight water from aid stations. After 5 to 5.5hrs of that flavor I'll run with a bottle out of T2 with nothing but straight carbo pro for 5k -- just to change it up a bit.

You can make it anything you like, and protein isn't necessarily the way to go. I have raced with and w/o - cannot tell the difference. However, I would avoid the 4 to 1 ratio as that amount of protein may slow assimilation of CHO. In my opinion that ratio is best for recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how far are you going? for long rides and IM events (half's too) i will mix 3 scoops (90 cals each) of orange revenge sport (50/50 maltos/fructose) 3 scoops vanilla protein powder (100 each) 10 scoops of carbopro and a little bit of splenda to give it a little more sweetness.... end result.... tastes like a melted orange dreamsicle.... hard to believe it but i actually crave the taste... guess that's a good thing during a long workout/race

good luck

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Carbopro Recipes [aus_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input. I am talking about half/full IM distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
then yeah my previous recepie post is good for a full ironman if you plan on splitting just over 5 hours (1600 some cals). Your body's ability to uptake carbohydrate is about 1.3g per minute or around 312 calories an hour. That is for an average sized male triathlete (150-170). I have a couple of friends that work for the GSSI (gatorade sports science institute) as well as the University of Texas Human Performance lab and from their tests say that trying to cram 400 or more cals an hour is counter productive and will only lead to bloating and discomfort later on in the race. Hope this helps.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many folks find it difficult to get enough calories in on the run. Since you are burning near 900cal/hr while running and 700-800cal/hr on the bike, it may behove you to get more than 300cal/hr into the system while on the bike in preparation for the last hours. Everybody is different, as aus_tri and I prove. I get 600cal/hr on the bike and do not bloat (14 IMs). You need to find what works for you. In a HIM, I use about 250-300cal/hr on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of the Clif Shot electrolyte replacement. I mix a couple scoops of the apple flavor with my CarboPro. Love it!

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the main reasons I like it is that it doesn't have a flavor. I drink it without adding anything. Enough with the sweet stuff already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5 scoops HEED, 5 CP per bottle for 1000 cals. 2 bottles for the IM distance.

Probably at the aid stations, I might get Gade, just to have a different taste briefly.

H2O at the aid stations also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a seriously sensitive stomach, so I do 5 or 6 scoops per large water bottle with a splash of gatorade for a bit of taste.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4 scoops of Infinit (lemon lime, concocted to my requested sweetness and salt levels), and 2 scoops of Carbo Pro in a large water bottle = 750 calories. The carbo pro helps to keep it from being too sweet. Two of these plus a gel flask gives me about 2100 calories on the bike. Add a little stuff from the course here and there and maybe a sports bar if you're craving a solid and that should give you roughly 400 cal/hr on a 6-6:30 bike ride.

If you're relying mostly on Carbo Pro, make sure you pay attention to your salts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mix about 2 to 3 scoops with Amino Vital - and it makes for a pleasant tasting lemonade like drink.

Amino Vital is pretty weak by itself.

People I've loved, I have no regrets
Some I remember, some I forget
Some of them living, some of them dead
All I want is to be home ".....Foo Fighters, Home

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For IM Bike Recipes, do you really need protein and fat for your replenishments? Or is it best to have the CP and other Carb-only recipes? I am thinking about just sticking predominantly to CP & gatorade for the ride (maybe some salt tabs with it)... any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't mix it with gatorade. I used to do that, but too much gatorade and it'll be bad times. GR, the owner of the company, suggests staying away from gatorade too. I just fill a bottle almost to the top with carbo pro then add water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a sensitive stomach, so I lprefer it plain. Just Carbopro, water and a few Succeed gel caps opened and mixed in for electrolytes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mix Carbopro and water until I hit my calorie target, then add a few ounces of Coke or juice for flavor. (I have this concentrated cherry juice that is pretty good but orange juice is also nice.) Since you don't get any electrolytes with this mix, you'll also have to use salt tablets in an IM. This year I might also try adding some electrolyte drops to the Carbopro solution, but I know I won't be able to add enough to match my requirements so will also take salt pills.

Mixing in crushed salt pills to the solution definitely does not work--- The whole thing will taste like crap if you do.

Good luck. Carbopro is good stuff.

-Marc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, all of you have it wrong :-)

First, figure out how many claories you are going to need then equate that to scoops. Place your total number of scoops in a mixing bowl, then add a little HOT water(the melt factor) and then add fresh lemon and lime or just lemon juice to taste. It's about a 50/50 ratio. Place this in your gel bottles and use only H20 in your H20 bottles. I have tried it with fresh just out of the peel OJ which is good and filtered watermelon juice. Lemon/ lime is the best. Make extra and nurse a seperate gel bottle while you are waiting for the race to start to keep you "topped off". Also. you can make a "batch" and keep it in the fridge for a few days. Use Thermolytes for your salts.

Enjoy,

Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peach Cytomax and Carbo-Pro...yummy!

*Your Mama*
Quote Reply