Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon shortage...Rumour.
Quote | Reply
I heard yesterday that because of the huge demand on carbon fibre in all industry that there is a shortage. The bike industry is a small part of that demand and therefore it will be difficult to get carbon bikes. There is however one exception. Apparently Giant is connected with one of the three major cabon fibre manufactureres and will have bikes available. As a side note for 06 all giant TT/Tri bikes are carbon fibre. Lastly, the rumour also included a possible relationship between Giant and Cervelo in the near future.

Sounds to me like alot of crap but good conversation all the same.

It's a Good life if you don't Weaken!
My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon shortage...Rumour. [IAGLIYDW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a shortage of carbon. It is no rumor. We have seen it in the shortage of bikes, and the increase in prices. The increase in Zipp's prices are due to the shortage of material.
At a Trek seminar they told us that to make one "prop" for a windmill (used in windfarms) uses more carbon fiber than they use in a year!

"....No longer easy on the eyes but these wrinkles masterfully dusguise the youthful boy below."~Death Cab for Cutie

http://www.a1cyclery.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's ok, there are plenty of other materials......

Just like a guy came into my shop the other day and asked me, "Hey, do they still make bikes out of patassium(sp?)????" for real, no joke..

:)
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon shortage...Rumour. [viking1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
""Hey, do they still make bikes out of patassium(sp?)????" for real, no joke.."

I think I'll use this the next time the USMC moves me to a new place. The first time I check out the new LBS I'll ask them about potassium bikes. Or maybe iridium or plutonium.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The majority of CF is used in the aerospace industry (mainly military, but also commercial). And with the boom in the aerospace industry, there just isn't enough CF being made in the world. This is also one of the reasons why the CF bikes will get better and better as this industry gets access to new fiber structures, etc. allowing thinner, yet stronger cross-sections. Unfortunately for us, the cycling industry doesn't have "first dibs" only really any of the new developments... That ends up in the military industry...

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is exactly what opened the doors for Kuota and other brands in 2005. Talking to retailers last year, many of the carbon bike companies were unable to deliver their preseason orders due to manufacturing, leaving the retailer with no other choice to offer an available brand.

Kuota sold many more bikes than they would have had there not been this "carbon fiber" problem.

Several years ago, DeFeet Socks' facilities burned down in a fire. Sock Guy's brand was catapulted into the market in a similar fashion.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon shortage...Rumour. [paulthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Several years ago, DeFeet Socks' facilities burned down in a fire. Sock Guy's brand was catapulted into the market in a similar fashion.
And the old socks had better patterns, and quality.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply