Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon seatpost trimming
Quote | Reply
Hi,

The carbon seat post on my wife's tri bike bike is slightly too long for her and I need to take off 1cm of it. I own a park tool carbon saw but I can't seem to find the proper 'grip' (is that even the right word) to perform the cut. I.e. I need something to hold the seatpost during the cut.

Any suggestions from people who have done it before? Note this is not a circular seatpost but a aero shaped one.

Thanks.

Paulo
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon seatpost trimming [pmatos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put a layer of electric tape around the post in the place you want to make a cut and cut it throughout the tape, the saw will have a grip ;)
Last edited by: 1415chris: Jun 12, 17 6:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done that before, I think with blue "painter's tape." I did it more to keep the ends from splintering. I've got some practice sawing bamboo (very similar properties to carbon fiber) and learned to tape it before you cut and you'll get much cleaner edges.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon seatpost trimming [1415chris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestion. Shall I make the cut from the wide or narrow side of the seatpost?

Paulo Matos
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wide. More surface area for the fine teeth to start a groove into. Gentle and light back and forth motion so it doesn't hop and skip.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon seatpost trimming [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watch out when finishing cut. It is very easy to split the last (surface) carbon fibers from the post in this case. It is not a big issue, always can be superglued :)
Having final few mm to cut, you can stop and finish it from opposite site (not necessary, an option).
Good luck

And do not breath that stuff coming from the hacksaw ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon seatpost trimming [1415chris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1415chris wrote:
Watch out when finishing cut. It is very easy to split the last (surface) carbon fibers from the post in this case. It is not a big issue, always can be superglued :)
Having final few mm to cut, you can stop and finish it from opposite site (not necessary, an option).
Good luck

And do not breath that stuff coming from the hacksaw ;)

This ^^^ make sure to wear some kine of mask. You def son't want to be breathing it carbon dust
Quote Reply