Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon Brake Pads - balance performance vs. $
Quote | Reply
I'm doing some research on these since I saw that Williams is selling a 4-pack for $15 whereas Zipp's are $40 for 2.

According to the Internet many carbon wheel manufacturers used to ship with Swiss Stop yellows until they realized they could make more money and come up with their own (perhaps cheaper) compound. This had mixed results: I trust Zipp to make damn good quality pads, but apparently Reynolds pads were just damn scary and disintegrated after a few uses.

Anyone have some thoughts on this? $80 seems obscene for pads but then, anything Zipp sells is frickin' expensive. On the flip side, $15 seems a little too low in price.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Brake Pads - balance performance vs. $ [icfantv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the CycleOps pads for my ENVE 8.9s on my old bike and the ENVE Pads on my new bike. They are exactly the same and I was going to say the CycleOps ones were cheaper, but it looks like they recently adjusted the price so they are the same. It used to be $15-20 cheaper for the CycleOps set. The complete set is around $60 for front and rear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used the Reynolds blue pads a ton, and never had an issue. I could often find them on eBay for about $25 for a set of 4.

I Recently switched to SwissStop Black Prince. They're a little on the spendy side, but are darn good.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Brake Pads - balance performance vs. $ [ijgoodwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 on Black Prince. I value my health and well being a lot more than trying to save a few bucks on something as important as brake pads. I trust the Zipps also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like my Zipps. Slowing and stopping the bike are not areas to skimp on. Skip going out to dinner one time and you're even.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Brake Pads - balance performance vs. $ [ijgoodwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i also switched to swisstop and am happy so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Using SwissStop yellows and they're great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Using Reynolds Blue pads. They just work. I don't care what they cost since not stopping is playing with injury or possibly death at times. As long as they work well money does not matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Brake Pads - balance performance vs. $ [Juanmoretime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I first switched to carbon rims (older pre firecrest zipp 404's) I just used a cheap carbon specific pad ( aztec) and they were pretty dire... I have switched to the swisstop black pads and they are soo much better.

the first couple of days however before the carbon specific pads turned up I rode with std pads for ally rims ( cleaned them first!)... and the brakes were lethaly sharp! I suspect rim wear would be fairly fast though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for all the feedback everyone. i went with the yellow swisstop ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just a word of warning before you use them especially on descents.....Swissstop yellows tend to build up/retain heat more than other pads. You do not want to "drag brake" using yellows on carbon clinchers or you can risk failure of the rim.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Brake Pads - balance performance vs. $ [Mr.Pie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well crap. now i'm scared to use them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they'll be fine on most rims. Just modulate or "brake" properly. ie heavy breaking before a turn and don't drag the brakes. Modulate front and rear, use the front more than the rear as thats where the most stopping comes from and air/wind cools the front rim faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Brake Pads - balance performance vs. $ [Mr.Pie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok. i don't normally just lay on the brakes and hold on for dear life so maybe i don't need to unlearn.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Brake Pads - balance performance vs. $ [Juanmoretime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Juanmoretime wrote:
Using Reynolds Blue pads. They just work. I don't care what they cost since not stopping is playing with injury or possibly death at times. As long as they work well money does not matter.

^This. I have the Reynolds on 2 bikes, both with Reynolds wheels. One Campy, one SRAM. No problems. Better than Corima cork, Zipp's older black pads for carbon and older yellow Swiss Stops.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Brake Pads - balance performance vs. $ [bullshark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x3 on the black prince pads. The modulation has been the closest feel to aluminum rims I have ever had on carbon. I just used them at Cascade Classic on the road stages and had no problems with braking or noise (I know that's just a nuisance--but I hate the squealing).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well...if you are truly interested in balancing performance vs. $, you'd be using wheels with aluminum braking surfaces...in which case I'd recommend Kool Stop Salmon pads ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are beast - I raced with these - forgot I had them on the race bike actually.
http://www.wiggle.com/lifeline-performance-carbon-road-brake-inserts-pack-of-4/

Also on a used set of DA 50 TU's I picked up, the braking was pulsing/annoying so I used a 320 grit wetsand paper between the pads and rim & lightly ran the wheel (eg like a brake rotor turning machine). Cleaned up the scuffed-off powder and now they brake perfectly. Just a very light roughening of the surface and of course this drops the sections of the rim that are high.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Brake Pads - balance performance vs. $ [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ffmedic84 wrote:
Using SwissStop yellows and they're great.

Just don't use them on HED carbons ( tubular ). HED warns against their use and I can tell you from experience that they get hot and become very "grabby". You are probably best using the recommended pads or talk to someone like KoolStop and get their recommendations. Their "salmon" pad is Nick Salazar's pick on the TriRig review, but as the HED example shows, they aren't all compatible.
Quote Reply