Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cape cod riding
Quote | Reply
Heading up to the cape with my family for a long weekend(falmouth) At some point, I've got some intervals to do on the bike...

Does anyone know some good roads where it's reasonably safe to do a 5-6 mile interval at threshold(so moving pretty quick)
Quote Reply
Re: Cape cod riding [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spend 2 weeks each summer in Falmouth, and I can't think of one road that you could do a 5-6 miles interval on. You will be lucky to go a mile without having to stop or slowdown for some reason or another. Maybe there is a hidden gem out there but I haven't found it, I wish you luck and be safe!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The week of the 4th is always crazy on the cape. 5-6 mile intervals will be tough but would recommend taking a day and bike on Martha's Vineyard. You can catch the ferry out of woods hole for 12 bucks and do a loop around MV ~50 miles all said and done, there are some nice country roads over there and some longish straightaways. Whatever you do make sure you get out extra early to do your riding, biking anywhere after 9AM is pure craziness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where in Falmouth are you staying? Best option is over towards West Falmouth/Sippewisset as there are some quieter roads with rolling terrain. You can head down to Woods Hole (although you'll deal with Vineyard ferry crowds/traffic) but can then head past Nobska Light and along Surf Drive. I've added the Cape Cod Marathon course map as the bulk of it is on quiet rolling terrain (course is clearly marked with blue arrows/mile markers). http://www.capecodmarathon.com/marathon/route-map/

A trip to Falmouth is incomplete without a visit to Betsy's Diner for breakfast. Also pick up a four-pack of Cape Cod Red to enjoy after your ride.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Last edited by: Brian in MA: Jun 29, 17 6:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't really know the Falmouth area that well, but I can give you some tips if you're willing to drive. That said, even if you do drive somewhere, you should really try to be on the bike as the sun comes up, so leaving your place in Falmouth well before sunrise. By 8 or 9 am, many roads will have constant traffic on them, and drivers on the Cape are generally not friendly to cyclists and unwilling to share the road. If you were going to do a shorter ride in your area, you could maybe get an hour or two in from 5:30 am - 7:30 am on some of the Falmouth roads, but like I said, I don't know them well enough to suggest any.

If you are willing to drive, one potential area is the 'Service Rd' that runs parallel to Route 6 just to the south, between exits 2 and 6. Full disclosure - I have never actually driven this road, but it seems to have minimal traffic and could offer a suitable workout based on the Google street view. The one potential issue here is that you will have some major crossings, and at least one roundabout, as you need to cross main roads that feed off the Rt 6 exits.

If you are willing to drive even further, there are a few good options on a route I typically ride between Dennis and P-town. Here's a link to a workout I did last year. The beginning on Route 6A is only an option very early in the morning when there is minimal traffic.

For your needs there are two options:
1) Drive out on Rt 6 to exit 12 and park in the shopping center where I turned off 6A. The first couple miles will be a nice warmup as you track my route, then you can start the real work on either Bridge Rd or Herring Pond Rd, being careful to turn on Massasoit when the time is right. This option is nice because there is limited traffic, decent shade, and doesn't rely on main roads. The main drawbacks are the one or two intersections with stop signs and sometimes bumpy roads.
2) Drive out on Rt 6 to around the Wellfleet drive-in movie theater, which is near the end of Option 1 above, and park somewhere (should be plenty of decent options). From there, Rt 6 has a decent shoulder and you should be able to bike for miles and miles, pretty much all the way out to P-town. The drawback is that riding on Rt 6 absolutely sucks. It is safe, with a wide shoulder, but it is boring and has lots of traffic (and some traffic lights, depending on which section you ride). It is also generally not flat, so you'll have long gradual uphills followed by long-ish downhills. Not a problem as far as getting your workout done, but you'll have to have some decent speed to keep your power up on the downhills. On my ride, I divert off 6A a couple times, but just because I like to minimize my time on there.

I realize none of these options are great when you're starting out from Falmouth, but this weekend (or really any weekend Memorial Day - Labor Day) will be tough to find good/safe cycling.

Edit: spelling
Last edited by: bgoldstein: Jun 29, 17 6:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your best bet is to get off the Cape! As some others have mentioned you may be able to find some roads but it's unlikely. It's pure madness this time of year. Although beautiful and fun, it's not ideal for bike training. Maybe bring your trainer if that's an option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cape cod Marathon course is pretty good as someone else mentioned.

http://recoveryourstride.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i live in chatham and run/ride on the bike path year round...the only safe place to ride is really on the bike path from dennis up to wellfleet. after that you can use back roads safely with some nice hills. i would go for hill repeats in wellfleet/truro/eastham area. you're not gonna find a 5-6 mile flat/safe stretch of road in the lower/outer cape this time of year. some people do repeats of long pond road in harwich..not that long, but relatively safe early, early on a weekend day. good luck!
Quote Reply