Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cannondale Slice Ultegra 2014
Quote | Reply
Calling on all cannondale slice owners.

After having gone through hours of research on this forum, I am about to pull the trigger on the Cannondale Slice Ultegra 2014 as my first tri bike before the 70.3 worlds. I am very unsure about the size. Unfortunately my LBS has only got one size left (a 58) but with an excellent rebate.

I am 6'4" (193cm) tall with a 37inch (93cm) inseam. I currently ride a Specialized Allez road bike size 58. On the cannondale website, it says "if you ride a 58cm top tube road bike, choose a 58 tri bike". But the reach seems very short (565). I will obviously try the bike before I buy but it would be nice to have feedback from current slice owners (inseam + slice size you own).

Also, do you know if the ultegra rear derailleur is a short cage or long cage?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Slice Ultegra 2014 [frenchieTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The slice has a short cage rear derailleur.

As for fit, have you undergone a fit session? If not, you might want to get this done prior to any bike purchase.

I am 6 foot and a little over 1 inch tall. My fitter stated I was between a 56 and 58cm depending upon several factors including how well I could tolerate the front drop. Since I'm older than younger, I ended up with a 58cm.
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Slice Ultegra 2014 [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback.

I will try the 58 and see how I feel. It is just a shame I can not try both sizes in the same shop.

Can you elaborate on the front drop? the 56 frame would have required you to be more flexible despite the shorter reach?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i 6'1, ride a 57 race geometry or 58cm relaxed geometry road bike, and was recommended a 56 slice. no complaints here, reckon the 58 would have been two big
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely ride the bike before you buy, and think about doing a fitting. FWIW, I'm 6'2", 34" inseam, and I ended up buying a 2012 Slice, "size 60." (The top tube is 58cm, with a stack and reach of 57.2cm and 42.5cm according to their webpage.) It could just be me, but the "size 58" wasn't comfortable. However this bike fits me and it feels just right.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Slice RS in 58 (because they don't make a 60, and the geometry is completely different)...

But while I was waiting for the (RS) bike to arrive 2 years ago I had a loner Slice in 58 (not the 'RS')... I am 6'-3" and my inseam is 36". If I were you I would NOT go for 58cm. I found it way too cramped and hit my knees on the pads when going up hill. Try it before you buy it, but I'd say NO.

All my Cannondale road bikes are 60cm (besides the RS), and I am very happy with the fit.

Last edited by: TriSliceRS: Jul 31, 14 17:34
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Slice Ultegra 2014 [TriSliceRS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I eventually tried the slice in size 58. The bike feels good and would be a real upgrade compared to my current road bike. As you said, my knees are very close to the armpads, especially during out of the saddle efforts. I am going to try a 60 frame as well and go for a bike fit before I make a final decision. One thing I did notice was that the bars are a wee bit short (probably missing an inch, inch and 1/2), so I will have to buy and fit longer bars to the bike. Any suggestions for after the market long quality tt bars?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a few inches taller than you but the only tri bikes that seem to fit are the Cervelos. I'm mostly arms and legs perhaps that is the reason for the possible difference. However, please keep in mind that if the bike does not fit you are not getting a deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Slice Ultegra 2014 [TriSliceRS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSliceRS wrote:
But while I was waiting for the (RS) bike to arrive 2 years ago I had a loner Slice in 58 (not the 'RS')... I am 6'-3" and my inseam is 36". If I were you I would NOT go for 58cm. I found it way too cramped and hit my knees on the pads when going up hill. Try it before you buy it, but I'd say NO.

I'm not a fitter or anything but my LBS put me on a fit bike, ordered me a $50 stem and it essentially put me into my correct position. I would think this might work for you.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply