Canadian sets new Beer mile world record
Quote | Reply
http://www.cbc.ca/...rld-record-1.3325859

Discuss
Last edited by: Seth: Nov 21, 15 8:37
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian sets new Beer mile world record [Seth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is amazing. I am horrible at the event so I'm in awe of those who can do it well.

The FloTrack Beer Mile world championships should be a fun one to watch! I watched it last year, awesome spectating.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian sets new Beer mile world record [Seth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

This is like Canada's medal count in the winter olympics. We clean up at sports that no one else does. When we can medal in soccer and when we do in real track and field events that the entire world plays, then that's cool. In the mean time, a 4:15 university runner drank beers and went fast. To put it in perspective, Dan Empfield ran 4:19 mile at 16 years old circa 1973 or so
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian sets new Beer mile world record [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still in awe as I can't A) drink 4 beer that fast B) run a mile that fast.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian sets new Beer mile world record [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
I'm still in awe as I can't A) drink 4 beer that fast B) run a mile that fast.

I agree that it is still pretty amazing, but its a bit of a bogus concocted event that has limited athletic validity (the chugging of the beer alone kind of nullifies the athletic side). At the end of the day, this guy is a 4:15 miler. It's way faster than us (which is not saying much), but at the university level, these guys are dime a dozen. He may have a future in IM racing since it seems he can keep his calories down and take them in quick, but we don't know if he can actually digest his intake. I guess using my gauge, I just nullified IM racing as an athletic thing since calorie and fluid intake is the literally the most important execution part of race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick Symmonds, the USA 800m WC medalist and sub-4 min miler has had a decent go at doing this event. His best is 5'14" so far and another at 5'19". Impressive that this dude is only 36" slower than his best whilst chugging 4 beers, regardless of having to run on that stomach.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian sets new Beer mile world record [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't even drink a beer in the time it takes him to run a mile.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"To put it in perspective, Dan Empfield ran 4:19 mile at 16 years old circa 1973 or so "

Yeah, but could he drink?
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian sets new Beer mile world record [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trirunner wrote:
"To put it in perspective, Dan Empfield ran 4:19 mile at 16 years old circa 1973 or so "

Yeah, but could he drink?

Dan was not supposed to be drinking at 16. We don't know if he did though!
Quote Reply