Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Canadian online stores
Quote | Reply
Any recommendations for Canadian online shopping?
Looking to buy shimano di2
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian online stores [pascalosti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly even though you're going to pay some duties and taxes I just don't think chainreactioncycles.com can be beaten. Wiggle maybe but very few retailers can manage their prices

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: cshowe80: Mar 3, 15 8:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pascalosti wrote:

I honestly expected this to be a spam topic. Something with blue pills for cheap
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian online stores [griffeyfan04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry too disappoint :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pascalosti wrote:

Probikekit (I've never had a problem), or Cyclestore.co.uk (no tax, duties)...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem is that Cdn retailers have to get their stuff from "The Bike Cartel" aka OGC and Cycles Lambert. They charge way too much to dealers and go don't like retailers who go outside their supply chains. IF you insist on buying Cdn, phone the MEC service centre...

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MEC is by far the only online retailer that has enough clout to offer any real discounts. If you don't want to use over seas retailers, then I suggest making good friends with a bike shop then asking for a discount.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I often go to La Bicicletta's website. But the point about Cycles Lambert and the main suppliers is right on. Someone at an LBS once showed me the prices in CL catalogue for components I was buying through through the LBS. I almost had a heart attack. Probikekit is cheap, but you're going to wait a long time for your order to show up.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian online stores [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to agree with those here MEC has pretty good pricing and in some cases very good pricing on some clearance goods. For overall good pricing I use probikekit and chainreaction. Shops may be able to do a little for you but for the most part the prices at the UK online stores are around cost plus 10-20% on just about everything. Even if you end up paying tax it is the same as a really good deal from the retailer. Also prices at the stores will be going up if they did not pre-order a lot of items as our dollar has gone down in value.

Costs here in Canada are way too high to the stores so this is reflected in the prices we have to pay them. It is a horrible senario as we avoid the retailers and pay those outside our country for items and then the distributors here order less and then their costs go up so they charge the retailer more and the circle continues. It also does not help when we have such a short good weather season and we are also a very large country with a pretty low population. Shipping and importing duties in Canada are also high which further exacerbates the issue. It is sad when I pay less to ship framesets from china than what I pay for shipping a small package in the same province.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian online stores [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tkos wrote:
MEC is by far the only online retailer that has enough clout to offer any real discounts. If you don't want to use over seas retailers, then I suggest making good friends with a bike shop then asking for a discount.

It's so unfortunate because the LBS is going to be the one paying the piper in the end. I try my best to give my LBS all the business I can but for parts it's just nearly impossible for them to compete. A good example is this past weekend I was looking for a Shimano Ultegra 6700 11-28t 10sp cassette. The LBS was asking $119 while I can get it on Chainreaction for $57USD(roughly $70CDN). That's a huge gap in price at nearly double the cost.

I always have them do my work for me even if I can wrench it myself. I've explained to them the cost issue and they always get first dibs (a bit more work for me) when I'm looking for a part but they usually can't compete.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian online stores [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
The problem is that Cdn retailers have to get their stuff from "The Bike Cartel" aka OGC and Cycles Lambert. They charge way too much to dealers and go don't like retailers who go outside their supply chains. IF you insist on buying Cdn, phone the MEC service centre...

I had the owner of a LBS tell me they sometimes ordered stuff direct from Chain Reaction, Wiggle, PBK, etc. because it was cheaper. That probably breaks some sort of agreement, so sshhh!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.ebay.ca

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian online stores [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second chain reaction. I am in Canada and I just rebuilt my drive train in 22spd sram Force all bought through chain reaction. Didn't have to pay a sent of duty on it. Canadian retailers can't seem to match their prices.
Quote Reply