Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can I swim shirtless at Ironman 70.3 Tahoe?
Quote | Reply
Had I stayed with the full, I wouldn't have this question, because of the changing tents. But since I switched to the 70.3, there are no changing tents.

So why would I want to swim shirtless? Its actually because I'm trying to optimize against the cold weather. Of course I'll be in a wetsuit. But since I'm coming out of the swim and putting on a full sleeve cool weather race jersey and possibly an underlayment, I don't need to be wearing a wet tri-top. I'd rather take off the wetsuit, dry my torso, and put on the jersey. I don't want to have to worry about pulling off a wet tri-suit.

So, will the fact that I unzip into a naked torso (I'm a guy) disqualify me? I've googled and only found one reference post by a woman saying that she heard over the PA in her 70.3 that men could not swim shirtless.

Thanks for any info!
Quote Reply
Re: Can I swim shirtless at Ironman 70.3 Tahoe? [FranzZemen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. You are good to do that. You need a top on the bike and run only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What temperature is expected? Current tri gear is made to dry off pretty quickly. I've done a lot of races in the 40's to 50''s F and it's not bad, you're dry within minutes on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FranzZemen wrote:
woman saying that she heard over the PA in her 70.3 that men could not swim shirtless.

By chance was it at Eagleman this year? It was incorrectly announced over the PA system that shirts are required on the swim for everyone. With a few waves to get in the water 'they' realized the error and corrected it for the last few waves.

Yes, you can swim shirtless.

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: Can I swim shirtless at Ironman 70.3 Tahoe? [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I think it was Eagleman. Thanks for the info!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FranzZemen wrote:
Had I stayed with the full, I wouldn't have this question, because of the changing tents. But since I switched to the 70.3, there are no changing tents.

So why would I want to swim shirtless? Its actually because I'm trying to optimize against the cold weather. Of course I'll be in a wetsuit. But since I'm coming out of the swim and putting on a full sleeve cool weather race jersey and possibly an underlayment, I don't need to be wearing a wet tri-top. I'd rather take off the wetsuit, dry my torso, and put on the jersey. I don't want to have to worry about pulling off a wet tri-suit.

So, will the fact that I unzip into a naked torso (I'm a guy) disqualify me? I've googled and only found one reference post by a woman saying that she heard over the PA in her 70.3 that men could not swim shirtless.

Thanks for any info!

I had been told us 70.3 folks can use the changing tents. Did I get wrong info?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Can I swim shirtless at Ironman 70.3 Tahoe? [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:
What temperature is expected? Current tri gear is made to dry off pretty quickly. I've done a lot of races in the 40's to 50''s F and it's not bad, you're dry within minutes on the bike.

I wish, looks like it will start off in the mid 30's at best.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Can I swim shirtless at Ironman 70.3 Tahoe? [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If its anything like last year, no way would I be getting on the bike wet.

I was afraid of chafing my nipples swimming without a top on under the wetsuit, so I wore tri kit under the wetsuit. It was actually not a big deal stripping the wet shirt off of me, but even after toweling off as best I could in the tent, getting a dry shirt back on was really tough.

I just did the Rev3 Pocono race and it was about 48 at the start of the bike. I was miserable for quite a while before I could get my body temperature up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be fine. Maybe work on those tan lines, this guy was in all of my swim photos from IMMT

Quote Reply
Re: Can I swim shirtless at Ironman 70.3 Tahoe? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Rambler wrote:

I know the forecast has been all over the place, but I don't see the lows getting down to the "mid 30's at best." Am I missing something?
Quote Reply
Re: Can I swim shirtless at Ironman 70.3 Tahoe? [Matthew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matthew wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Rambler wrote:

I know the forecast has been all over the place, but I don't see the lows getting down to the "mid 30's at best." Am I missing something?

I just pulled up the Truckee forecast for the 21st. Low projected 36

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Matthew wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Rambler wrote:

I just pulled up the Truckee forecast for the 21st. Low projected 36

We must be reading different forecasts. Weather.com currently has Truckee at a low of 45. What weather site are you using?
Quote Reply
Re: Can I swim shirtless at Ironman 70.3 Tahoe? [Matthew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.accuweather.com/...ember-weather/337279

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can go from the swim to T1 w/o a shirt, but can't leave T1 without one.

The highly logical reasoning for this is covered in this excellent instructional video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brg_zHXIHC8

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good question. I was thinking the same thing. Doing the full and want to be dry on the start of the bike. Heck, It'll be 8AM. I wanna be dry.

cheers and good luck.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Can I swim shirtless at Ironman 70.3 Tahoe? [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So my plan is to get out of the water, unzip as I run into T1. That should do 50% of the drying through freeze dry action. Get my run shirt on, get my fall jersey on. Embrocation cream for the legs, then a judgement call for the shoe coverings. A beany for the forehead. All this under 2 minutes ha!

My only thought is if the water is sub 65, do I wear the blue seventy booties. I think yes, given feet injury stories from last year and reported low water levels.

And then we get to the run, where none of this matters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you're a serious cold-water wuss, skip the booties. The lake feels like a bathtub right now, and the cooler air only accentuates the sensation of warm water.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It matters again when the sun goes down on the run. I finished in ~11:30 last year and spent some time in the med tent trying to get warm. My wife finished later and ran the last 2 miles in a down jacket.

I think toe covers pre-installed on your shoes is a good thing.

I'm doing the half and think the clothing choice is harder. For the full I would strip naked and do the full change again. For the half, I may just throw on a tight long sleeve jersey and gloves.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear there is a fire nearby that maybe we can use to warm up if we get cold. Can't imagine it'll be much below 50 at 8 a.m. I'll likely throw a long underwear top on though for the first part of the bike. I hate being cold. I'm at 8000 feet and a tad south and mornings are still plenty nice. Need to look at the hourly forecasts.....

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Can I swim shirtless at Ironman 70.3 Tahoe? [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remember that you're mostly in the shade til after Truckee too. 45 and sunny is alot different from 45 and shady...
Quote Reply