Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can I input outdoor rides into TrainerRoad?
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping to start a TrainerRoad plan this week. The one I like has long rides on both Saturday and Sunday. Fortunately for me, the weather is nice enough that I cna ride outside. Is there anyway that I can input (either upload or manual input) data from my outdoor ride so it counts for my long ride that weekend?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Can I input outdoor rides into TrainerRoad? [Apollo526] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Can I input outdoor rides into TrainerRoad? [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old thread, similar question. I did the 20 min test workout last week using IOS app. Power meter and heart rate strap were not connected, can I manually enter data onTrainerRoad yet?
Quote Reply
Re: Can I input outdoor rides into TrainerRoad? [Dockienutz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still not yet but it's on the to-do list :)

We have all hands on deck for iOS at the moment but lots of cool stuff to come!

-Trevor from TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Can I input outdoor rides into TrainerRoad? [Trevor DeRuise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any rough time estimate on manual data entry?
Quote Reply
Re: Can I input outdoor rides into TrainerRoad? [cwhyte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cwhyte wrote:
Any rough time estimate on manual data entry?

Still no ETA, I apologize.

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Re: Can I input outdoor rides into TrainerRoad? [Trevor DeRuise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping this up because I am very surprised you guys still dont have an Android app and I cannot upload outdoor/missed/unsynced workouts myself.

Im using your platform to track all of my bike training, so it would be a very useful feature to have, rather than using a separate software to track indoor+outdoor rides. Any update guys???

Duathlete by choice?
Quote Reply
Re: Can I input outdoor rides into TrainerRoad? [blitzkrieg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree completely. TR needs to accommodate FIT/TCX/GPX, etc file imports.

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: Can I input outdoor rides into TrainerRoad? [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a big TR fan, but agree that lack of certain features is a bit of a disappointment for a paid program like this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cwhyte wrote:
I'm a big TR fan, but agree that lack of certain features is a bit of a disappointment for a paid program like this.

We agree too that we need to make it so that users can upload outdoor files.

Right now, our core is making riders faster through indoor training. We see an expansion point as making riders faster through indoor AND outdoor training.

There's still more stuff that we can do in our core to make people faster and make sure that competitors don't come in and eat our lunch and be out of business.

As of right now, we recommend exporting tcx files or using something like tapariik.com to be able to sync files to other platforms for analysis of indoor and outdoor rides together.

Although we might seem big, we're still a very small company. One thing that small companies do to shoot themselves in the foot is to take on too much. Then the quality of everything suffers and you're not really good at anything.

Our development team doubled this winter and we're starting to mature a ton a software group. We've been putting things in place so that the past doesn't hold us down and make it very hard to add new features.

Although it might not seem like it, TrainerRoad is probably one of the more complex mobile apps you use. We sync large amounts of data via an API, store it locally, display graphs, hook to third party BT 4.0 sensors, hook to third party dongle to read in ANT data and our app runs for hours and hours at a time. And that's just the iOS platform, we support mac and pc too!

So my point is I think you'd rather have less feature that are quality than a ton of features that are half-assed, although I totally agree with you that we need to build MORE quality features MORE quickly.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm fine with exporting trainerroad sessions to upload into Garmin Connect/Training peaks, don't really know why everyone else wants to do it the other way.

Keep up the good work guys
Quote Reply
Re: Can I input outdoor rides into TrainerRoad? [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. TR is not designed as a training log and garmin connect/TP are much better suited to this (different) task.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate, fair point. I've only been on TR for about 5 months, besides loving the overall program, I like the fact that you are continuously working on improvement, already did the IOS app and making improvements, adding more training programs etc. You guys also do a better than average job of communicating with your customers about what's to come, or why things may not be coming soon, which I also appreciate. I do use Garmin connect and transfer my trainer ride data there, based on rough estimates for distance, so that's fine. I just happen to like the TR weekly TSS and three week average TSS, which won't be meaningful or accurate once outdoor riding kicks in...hopefully soon. It's not a big gripe, more of a nit in the big picture. I make the assumption that this feuture would not be very hard to add, but I don't know crap about it so it may be a lot harder than I presume.

Nate Pearson wrote:
cwhyte wrote:

We agree too that we need to make it so that users can upload outdoor files.

Right now, our core is making riders faster through indoor training. We see an expansion point as making riders faster through indoor AND outdoor training.

There's still more stuff that we can do in our core to make people faster and make sure that competitors don't come in and eat our lunch and be out of business.

As of right now, we recommend exporting tcx files or using something like tapariik.com to be able to sync files to other platforms for analysis of indoor and outdoor rides together.

Although we might seem big, we're still a very small company. One thing that small companies do to shoot themselves in the foot is to take on too much. Then the quality of everything suffers and you're not really good at anything.

Our development team doubled this winter and we're starting to mature a ton a software group. We've been putting things in place so that the past doesn't hold us down and make it very hard to add new features.

Although it might not seem like it, TrainerRoad is probably one of the more complex mobile apps you use. We sync large amounts of data via an API, store it locally, display graphs, hook to third party BT 4.0 sensors, hook to third party dongle to read in ANT data and our app runs for hours and hours at a time. And that's just the iOS platform, we support mac and pc too!

So my point is I think you'd rather have less feature that are quality than a ton of features that are half-assed, although I totally agree with you that we need to build MORE quality features MORE quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto. I like the way you display the rolling tss score. It would be nice to manually add in outdoor rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I input outdoor rides into TrainerRoad? [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
I'm fine with exporting trainerroad sessions to upload into Garmin Connect/Training peaks, don't really know why everyone else wants to do it the other way.

Keep up the good work guys

I'm in the same boat. I'm quite happy with TR the way that it is.... I use TP to sync all my workouts and analyze data. So, keep up the great work with the indoor training stuff, and don't sweat this one!
Quote Reply
Re: Can I input outdoor rides into TrainerRoad? [trutch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trutch wrote:
Ditto. I like the way you display the rolling tss score. It would be nice to manually add in outdoor rides.

+1

That's not criticism, it's just a wish list. I love the program, and I've seem significant progress this winter. Combined with the Sufferfest videos, it's a superb training experience for me, and it is worth every dime.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I input outdoor rides into TrainerRoad? [Technobuyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Technobuyer wrote:
trutch wrote:

+1

That's not criticism, it's just a wish list. I love the program, and I've seem significant progress this winter. Combined with the Sufferfest videos, it's a superb training experience for me, and it is worth every dime.

Thanks everyone! We don't want to add the analysis stuff until we think we can do it very very well, and to be able to do that we really want to focus on it.

Okay, back to work! :)

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything new here?

What I'd like to see is some sort of manual entry, similar to what Strava has. If I do a workout that's not connected--indoor or outdoor--I'd like to be able to have it be a part of my TrainerRoad Career page. Sometimes, my fancy equipment fails, such as what happened during my trainer ride on Wednesday. I still completed the workout, though, and I would like to have it in TR.

For those above who asked why I would want it, it's so that I can fully take advantage of the metrics offered on the Career page. For example, TrainerRoad has a useful graph that tracks your accrued TSS over time. If that TSS score is missing two rides, though, the weekly metrics are going to be off.

I like TrainerRoad a lot. I do virtually all of my indoor workouts on it, and I want to be able to take full advantage of what it offers. Thanks.

George D.
Canton, GA
Quote Reply
Re: Can I input outdoor rides into TrainerRoad? [gwdiv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no affiliation with Trainer Road but must admit I predominately ride only on Trainer Road as it accommodates my busy schedule the most.

Recently on their podcast Nate, Chad, and Jonathan hinted at this in their pipeline. Would love to see it. With all the things out there cyclists or triathletes can pay for, Trainer Road hands down has the best bang for your buck and yes Slowtwitch that includes new wheels, aero helmets, and skin suits.

I think the only other thing you can do to become a better cyclist... in the words of Dave Luscan and desert dude is F#$%ing bike race. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Can I input outdoor rides into TrainerRoad? [gwdiv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gwdiv wrote:
Anything new here?

What I'd like to see is some sort of manual entry, similar to what Strava has. If I do a workout that's not connected--indoor or outdoor--I'd like to be able to have it be a part of my TrainerRoad Career page. Sometimes, my fancy equipment fails, such as what happened during my trainer ride on Wednesday. I still completed the workout, though, and I would like to have it in TR.

For those above who asked why I would want it, it's so that I can fully take advantage of the metrics offered on the Career page. For example, TrainerRoad has a useful graph that tracks your accrued TSS over time. If that TSS score is missing two rides, though, the weekly metrics are going to be off.

I like TrainerRoad a lot. I do virtually all of my indoor workouts on it, and I want to be able to take full advantage of what it offers. Thanks.

I agree with you that you want your outside TSS too.

Here's the next big things we have coming out in order: Choose a training plan, Mac Revamp, Android app.

I keep hiring more and more people so we can go faster :).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply