Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can I ask for a discount?
Quote | Reply
About a moths or so ago I bought a new road bike for about $2000. Last week I bought 2 mountain bikes (for wife and me) totaling about $2500, I haven't picked them up yet.
I need a new helmet. Not some super fancy one, there are some in a $75-$100 range. Given the money I spent, can I ask for a bit of a discount? I have given them a fair bit of business in the past too, bought a bunch of accessories over the years and sent few of my friends/clients there, all of whom have bought something.
Any thoughts?
Thanks...
Quote Reply
Re: Can I ask for a discount? [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely ask.

I bought my first bike as an adult last January. Just about every LBS offered 20% all accessories if I bought the bike there.

The lone exception offered to discount the bike.

The only sticklers about price were REI. They used their dividend and frequent 20% sales as an excuse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should already be getting one after three bike purchases. Absolutely bring it up.

marceves.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
About a moths or so ago I bought a new road bike for about $2000. Last week I bought 2 mountain bikes (for wife and me) totaling about $2500, I haven't picked them up yet.
I need a new helmet. Not some super fancy one, there are some in a $75-$100 range. Given the money I spent, can I ask for a bit of a discount? I have given them a fair bit of business in the past too, bought a bunch of accessories over the years and sent few of my friends/clients there, all of whom have bought something.
Any thoughts?
Thanks...

If you have a good relationship with your LBS, you should definitely be getting discounts. I spent so much at my shop they threat me VIP. I get 10-20% discounts on any normal stuff and always negotiate bigger purchases such as bikes. The high end stuff has possible for deep discounts. So for example, if you want a bike that's advertised for $10K, you can probably negoiate it down to 7-8K depending on the model... but if you're buying a $2000 bike, you can probably drop it down to $1800... different margins!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually there shouldn't be need for asking at all, they should give you discount right away. I'm not that kind of flea market mentality as long as I see it's working out for both parties. If they don't come up with something by themselves I just wouldn't buy there anymore.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never ask, I just find the best deal. If I need it now I will have to pay just a little more.

Some shops just give me a discount because I send them business but I never rely on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hell yeah ask.

The shop should know you're a repeat and you should already be getting the friends and family discount.
Find your best price and ask the shop what they can do for you.

Remember to get them to do stuff to/for your bike. It's not really the bike sales that keep them in business, it's the bits, pieces and services.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you all. Got the new bikes and they gave me 50% off the helmet :-) !! I guess I'll go back for more....
Quote Reply