Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Can't race in Vineman 70.3 due to UPS!!!!
Quote | Reply
I can't beleive it. I am flying all the way from NJ to race at the Hvineman but UPS has "lost" my bike in the system. I am arrivng in CA on Friday with the family in tow and I sent my bike out so it would arrive today the 26th (that way to give me 2 days extra to work with) It looks like the two days won't be enough.

The last scan was in Chicago last Friday the 21st and no word since. I did insure it for $5K. I needed to vent publicly ... sorry to all. If it doesn't arrive by Friday night, I guess I will just do the swim and forget the rest. It seems like a long way to go just for a swim in the Russian River.

Funny thing is when I did my first IM in FLA about 5 years ago my bike also went missing but arrived in time albeit late (that saturday right before the bike racks were to be closed). Man..my bike box must have bad karma. At this point I'd rather it be lost for good rather than arrive late. That way I can take the insurance check and pick up a new P3C in time for Timberman.
Quote Reply
Re: Can't race in Vineman 70.3 due to UPS!!!! [yaprr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See if you can rent or borrow a bike if it doesn't show up. Perhaps a nearby tri shop will help you out. Of course if you don't even start you should be able to get UPS to pay for the race fee and possibly a lot more. Talk to a lawyer if that's the route you take. I'll bet it shows up on friday.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Re: Can't race in Vineman 70.3 due to UPS!!!! [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, that is my worst nightmare!!

I think when I go to IMAZ I am going to pay the extra money and take the bike with me on the plane

---------------------------
"This wheel definitely beat the 808 in this test, no question, and I do commend Hed on producing a really fast wheel...the wheel is fast, I am not disputing that." - joshatzipp on the Stinger 9
My Website
HEDmafia.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I can't beleive it. I am flying all the way from NJ to race at the Hvineman but UPS has "lost" my bike in the system. I am arrivng in CA on Friday with the family in tow and I sent my bike out so it would arrive today the 26th (that way to give me 2 days extra to work with) It looks like the two days won't be enough.

The last scan was in Chicago last Friday the 21st and no word since. I did insure it for $5K. I needed to vent publicly ... sorry to all. If it doesn't arrive by Friday night, I guess I will just do the swim and forget the rest. It seems like a long way to go just for a swim in the Russian River.

How did you send it (ground, 2 day, other)? Why Chicago? UPS "lost" my bike shipped from California to NJ a couple of years ago, when I had requested 2 day. Turns out they put it on a truck instead of a plane. Once it's on the truck, there's no way for them to know where it is until it is unloaded at the destination. I would not be surprised if it shows up on Friday. If I were you, I'd start contacting people at UPS to let them know in no uncertain terms (but be very nice) that when it shows up, they are to take great pains to ensure that you get it ASAP.

In the meanwhile, you might want to contact California local bike shops that carry your bike and attempt to rent/borrow a suitable bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't give up. I'm sure you can scratch up a bike from somewhere in order to race. Good luck with it. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be.
Quote Reply
Re: Can't race in Vineman 70.3 due to UPS!!!! [Red Devil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Man, that is my worst nightmare!!

I think when I go to IMAZ I am going to pay the extra money and take the bike with me on the plane[/reply]

LOL...yeah cause airlines never lose luggage. :) I am planning on UPS'ing or Purolating my bike to Vegas for Silverman but I will do it 2 weeks before I go and just use my road bike for the last 2 weeks of training. I am hoping that even if something were to happen, 2 weeks is plenty of time to sort it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size bike was it?

dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size are you. I have a couple of bikes you may be able to use. I have a 57 Javelin Baralo, large Litespeed Ghisallo, and 54 Jav Arcole
Quote Reply
Re: Can't race in Vineman 70.3 due to UPS!!!! [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's pretty good bike rental shop in Healdsburg(sp?) run by a former european pro cyclist. I'm pretty sure they could set you up with a pretty good bike if it comes down to that.
Quote Reply
Re: Can't race in Vineman 70.3 due to UPS!!!! [Red Devil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did you know that airlines lose over 200 million bags a year? and only 30% of those bags are never found

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Contact Nor Cal Bike Sport in Santa Rosa. They are the official shop for the race. Maybe they can hook you up with something. Ask for Kevin at (707) 573-0112 as he is the resident tri guy there. There are several shops in the area that rent bike since it is a popular area for cycling tourism but obviously it would be tough to find a tri bike.

Hope you bike shows up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are about 100 ST'ers in N Cal. What size and brand of bike do you need?

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Can't race in Vineman 70.3 due to UPS!!!! [parasky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]There's pretty good bike rental shop in Healdsburg(sp?) run by a former european pro cyclist. I'm pretty sure they could set you up with a pretty good bike if it comes down to that.[/reply]

It is called Spoke Folkes and the number is 707-433-7171. I think they carry Bianchi.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a 56cm Dual with a Renn and 404's.

As long as you don't crash..........

-zakk

Death Squad Cycling Club
http://www.ridethedeath.com

"Why is that people will drop $2000 on race wheels and a few c-notes for an ugly tattoo and then balk at the race fee?" - Blackie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have an extra tri bike but if it fits, you're welcome to ride my Specialized S Works E5 road bike. It's a 55 and I'm about 5'11". Also have an extra helmet, shoes, etc. Can even throw on a 404 rear wheel. I live in Napa about an hour from the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Can't race in Vineman 70.3 due to UPS!!!! [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you sure it's lost? It's not uncommon for UPS shipments to not have any updated tracking info for 3+ days, especially over the weekend. If it was last scanned on Friday I wouldn't panic till tomorrow night (Thurs). You can at least call UPS and ask about it but they probably don't have any additional info from what you get pon the tracking system online. Maybe they can tell you whether it was going by air or ground though.
Quote Reply
Re: Can't race in Vineman 70.3 due to UPS!!!! [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What size bike was it?

dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for al the offers. FYI my bike was a 06 Cannondale Ironman Team 1 50cm with full DA. I had HED tri spokes and HED aerobars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, mines a 59 so a little big. Looks like someone on ST can help.

Hope to see you at the race one way or another.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what type and size bike?

EDIT - NEVER MIND i SEE THAT QUESTION WAS ASKED AND ANSWERED ALREADY

Last edited by: last tri in 83: Jul 26, 06 8:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could fit on my Cannondale. Its not an 06, but its a pretty sweet ride. It has a surfing hula girl sticker on it!

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Last edited by: KEJ: Jul 26, 06 9:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did they actually tell you they lost it, or are you concerned because there have been no updates since friday??
Quote Reply
Re: Can't race in Vineman 70.3 due to UPS!!!! [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some GOOD NEWS!!!

First, to dongustav, I wrote "lost" in quotes in my initial post to show that there were no scans on the bike since last Friday.

Secondly, I have been in contact with UPS and voiced my concerns to a very nice CS rep. I did let her know that my company ships over $200K each year with them. She actually called the hub in Nor Cal even though she couldn't do an official trace and found that they have the bike but the label was partially torn/scratched, thus no scans. It will be delivered tomorrow... a day late. Hopefully it is in good condition. Whew!!!

To all STers thanks for the generosity and help. I may have jumped the gun on this potential nightmare but flying accross the US to race in a HIM can make for a semi-stressful endeavor. See you all on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sometimes I find when I freak out publically it then ends up resolving itself! So you did good! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rent a bike from lombardis in san francisco or from st. Helena cyclrey in st. Helena and then have fun!
Quote Reply

Prev Next