Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Campy Chorus BB > Campy Record BB
Quote | Reply
Had a little work done and the LBS told me they decided to switch my one year old Record BB for a Chorus BB. The Record seemed to develop a lot of play and the LBS guys said the Chorus would be more stable for a lot longer.

According to them, a guy who use to work at the shop and now wrenches for a pro team says that their team is going with the extra-30 grams and the longer lasting Chorus.

I'm guessing my Record is still under warrenty to I will try to return it.

Can anyone else validate this?

I'd be looking at the new Record crankset but apparently they don't jive with PowerCranks.
Quote Reply
Re: Campy Chorus BB > Campy Record BB [Learn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be looking at the new Record crankset but apparently they don't jive with PowerCranks.

I think i might have figured out the problem.
it's probably not your BB.
;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a little work done and the LBS told me they decided to switch my one year old Record BB for a Chorus BB. The Record seemed to develop a lot of play and the LBS guys said the Chorus would be more stable for a lot longer.

I never heard of this, especially considering that the 2 BB's are virtually identical.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Campy Chorus BB > Campy Record BB [More is MORE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are virtually identical except the Record has a carbon shell and is ~$20 more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Learn,

When I had my last bike built up I had the choice of a Record or Chorus BB. My mechanic said the Chorus BB would be more durable and longer lasting, in short a better choice. He has worked on them for 20+ years and I trust his advice. I've got at least 10,000 miles on mine and haven't touched it or thought about it. Whenever I've removed the chain or pulled the crnak arms it has spun smooth and long, just like you would want it to.

As far as the 30 grams is concerned, are you telling me you can tell the difference of 30 grams over any climb? 1.2 ounces? How much did the buritto weigh that you had for lunch?

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Re: Campy Chorus BB > Campy Record BB [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are IDENTICAL but for the non-load bearing carbon shell. Neither will out live either...period.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you're still able to use a traditional style BB, forget the campy stuff and put in a phil woods titanium spindle. its massively better in every way from the campy BB's, you will not regret it.
(and note: i use campy for just about everything else, except the headset of course). i had to have my old record BB drilled out because of its terrible design.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next time please send your bike to me and I'll make the decisions, which will be in your best interest -- I promise, and you just keep writing the blank checks.

Edit to add: that record bb needs special disposal. If you send to me I'll handle it.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Last edited by: HH: May 22, 07 19:33
Quote Reply
Re: Campy Chorus BB > Campy Record BB [dawhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please explain how the Phil Wood is a better deisgn...please. I cant wait.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Campy Chorus BB > Campy Record BB [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the advice.

Please notice that I never said I could feel the 30 grams. I only mentioned it as a technical specification to compare the two components.
Last edited by: Learn: May 22, 07 20:06
Quote Reply
Re: Campy Chorus BB > Campy Record BB [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the 30grams. That is interesting. Stupid question - but how do you know that they are otherwise identical and one does not wear out faster than the other? I'm not criticizing you here, but just want to know how you know.
Quote Reply
Re: Campy Chorus BB > Campy Record BB [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
instead of soft aluminum splined teeth to remove it, it has two stainless steel lockrings that will never get ripped apart by the tool. furthermore, the aluminum gets bedded down into the BB threads, which is what leads to the destruction later. the PW hub also uses much better cartridge bearings, it better sealed - its just better in every conceivable way. i can't believe that you're even asking me this, actually. i took it as a given that, among traditional BB designs, phil is king, with second place somewhere over the horizon.

my framebuilder (Spectrum) reports having to drill out 6-12 campy BB's a year.
Quote Reply
Re: Campy Chorus BB > Campy Record BB [dawhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Thanks for adding to the discussion. I will investigate the BB you mention.

does it work with powercranks? It sounds like you may be describing the new Record design - they sound similar.

thanks.
Last edited by: Learn: May 22, 07 20:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no, phil woods BB's are nothing like the new record/chorus/whatever designs. they are conceptually identical to the traditional BB, just way better in all the details.
Quote Reply