Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Calorie Count
Quote | Reply
Reading another thread got me interested in knowing how many calories a day does everyone consume? I'm just in training mode these days (no racing), but I typically put in about 2 hours a day, six days a week. I usually take in about 3,000 - 3,500 calories a day. On off days I'll get up to 4,000 calories depending on how much ice cream I eat. How about the rest of you?
Quote Reply
Re: Calorie Count [TriDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uhm.. just for the record:

On normal days (two workouts) of training I intake around 2500 calories. On harder days (three workouts) that value rises up to maybe 3000 but it comes down again on light days to the same 2500 calories. I'm not couting the calories I intake during training that is, gel's, bars and energy drinks. Anyway, this is just me guessing... I stopped couting calories a long time ago..

off day? what is that?

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typical Mon through Fri, training 15 to 25 hours per week

Cottage cheese & fruit ~250 calories

Packet of oatmeal with a little peanut butter 250 calories

Breakfast ~ 500 calories

Small salad (with avocado & tuna) with regular dressing ~ 380

¼ cup of peanuts ~ 180 calories

Granola Bar ~ 180 calories

Lunch ~ 740

Mountain Dew 170 calories

Fruit or pretzels or something sweet ~ 150 to 300 calories

Snack ~ 280 calories

Pasta w/tomato sauce 500

Flatbread with olive oil 280

Beer ~ 170 cales

Dinner ~ 950

Usually some evening snacks anywhere from 300 to 500 caloreis

Total ~ 2,800 to 3,000 calories, probably add another 500 to 1,000 on the weekend.

People I've loved, I have no regrets
Some I remember, some I forget
Some of them living, some of them dead
All I want is to be home ".....Foo Fighters, Home

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey TriDad

i have been on the Zone plane for 7 years, so i use about 2300 to 2500 calories a day and i do fine.

if i'm on a vary hard week with a weekend and mid week race i'll up that some or i'll get behind and get very "out of gas"

Dan...
Quote Reply
Re: Calorie Count [FooFighterFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's interesting to me is the level of activity/training both you and Monk do on such a low calorie intake. At least it seems low to me. I'm guessing most non-tri folks take in about 4,000 - 5,000 per day with little or no activity. FWIW, I'm about 5'11", 175 lbs. and 5% bodyfat doing 12 -15 per week on 3,000 calories. You guys must be really lean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What's interesting to me is the level of activity/training both you and Monk do on such a low calorie intake. At least it seems low to me. I'm guessing most non-tri folks take in about 4,000 - 5,000 per day with little or no activity. FWIW, I'm about 5'11", 175 lbs. and 5% bodyfat doing 12 -15 per week on 3,000 calories. You guys must be really lean.
You'd guess wrong. Maintenance for sedentary people is closer to 2,000 kCal/day.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5" 10" weight ranges from 145 to 152. I've really been working on "leaning out", so I am on the low side of cals, but as I stated in another thread, sometimes on days off I fall off the wagon and eat like crazy. I also do lots of handfuls of things when at home (peanuts, whet thins, M&Ms, etc), so may intake may be a little higher.

People I've loved, I have no regrets
Some I remember, some I forget
Some of them living, some of them dead
All I want is to be home ".....Foo Fighters, Home

Quote Reply
Re: Calorie Count [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
You'd guess wrong. Maintenance for sedentary people is closer to 2,000 kCal/day.

I believe that is for men. For sedentary women, I believe maintenance is closer to 1500-1800 per day. If you're dieting (ha!), you're supposed to eat 1200 calories a day. Yikes. Of course, I realize this thread is for the dudes.

FWIW I don't count calories. But I will when my metabolism slows down. I would estimate I take in b/w 2000-3000 per day. More of that is alcohol than it really should be. I don't understand the women in restaurants eating salad with dressing on the side and water. I guess they aren't triathletes!

I had my basal metabolic rate tested a few years ago and it was around 1300. That is, I burn 1300 calories if I lay in bed all day. Not sleeping, but awake with no exertion. Pretty interesting test. This was before I started any endurance training whatsoever, so it would be interesting to know what it is now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply][reply]
What's interesting to me is the level of activity/training both you and Monk do on such a low calorie intake. At least it seems low to me. I'm guessing most non-tri folks take in about 4,000 - 5,000 per day with little or no activity. FWIW, I'm about 5'11", 175 lbs. and 5% bodyfat doing 12 -15 per week on 3,000 calories. You guys must be really lean. [/reply]
You'd guess wrong. Maintenance for sedentary people is closer to 2,000 kCal/day.[/reply]

That's if they ate only enough to stay the same weight. Most sedentary folks I know eat that much for lunch, and consequently are always trying some new diet or other because they "just can't seem to lose any weight".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with you, but I'm not talking about maintenance. I'm talking about your average donut-eating, big mac-eating, steak and baked potato-eating office worker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5' 8'' & 160 lbs. Down 60 lbs from 220 back on 1-1-2004. My current intake target is ~ 2000 kcal. per day not including what I eat on the bike while training. However, I regularly freak out once a week and binge on beer and mexican food.

At the moment I'm training around 15-20 hours a week on the bike only due to injury and my lack of desire to get in the pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Calorie Count [objectiveous] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you train that much on such low calorie consumption? I've estimated my basal metabolic rate is about 2,500 per day and if I burn 1,000 - 1,500 calories working out then I need to consume about 3,500 to 4,000 calories per day to stay even (I'm not trying to lose weight). Aren't you experiencing large calorie deficits every day? Aren't you wiped out by the end of the week? Guess I'm just wondering if it can be done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6' and 167/6%. Figure my base caloric requirement at 2400. Add daily training to the 2400. Been off from work for the last two weeks on vacation so have been training heavy; am 7 weeks away from a 3 week taper for the Full Vineman. Last week totalled out at 23.5 hours and this week should be around 29 hours. This week 7.2 miles swimming, 300 miles cycling (60% of it on a 26 lb. Nishiki), and 30 miles running. The last 4 days had daily targets around 5000 calories. On two of these days, ended up between 200-400 calories short. It's not so easy to eat big numbers unless of course you are doing the "super size" option.

Conrad
Quote Reply
Re: Calorie Count [VegasTrilete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, so what do you eat to get to 5,000 calories? Typically, I eat five meals a day, but they range from small (300 calories) to what for me is a large meal at 1,500 calories. For me it's cereals (oatmeal), whole wheat bread, fruit, veggies, lean meat, non-fat or low-fat dairy products, and nuts (mostly almond butter). Oh yeah, gotta have that cup of coffee in the morning, but I don't really count that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basically eat the same stuff. Eat food the way God provided it, in it's natural state. That means rarely bread and pasta but rather the big three as I call them, rice, potatoes, and beans. Lots of fruit and vegs and lean meat. Just coffee and water. Occassionally Gatorade for long rides (like today; 100 miles solo with about 3 hours above race pace so am bringing 2 bottles Gatorade plus one banana and a PB&J sandwich[440 cal.] followed by a 2 mile t-run above race pace.

Will probably end the day needing around 7000 calories (the bike ride will be around 4000 feet climbing). To answer your original question, at the end of the day, when short on calories, will attempt to make up with things like fruit and yogurt or fruit and low-fat ice cream of a bannana and peanut butter. You get the idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Calorie Count [VegasTrilete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only two bottles of gatorade?

I pound through two bottles of Cytomax during my 2hour trainer sessions and I'm parched at the end. Can't imagine doing a 100 with just two bottles, but I also sweat a lot, even when I'm not doing anything.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike R

Software Engineer and Mac geek
Aspiring to be front-middle-of-the-pack in 2010.
Quote Reply
Re: Calorie Count [miker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also had 2 bottles water.

Ended up however making a pit-stop in Searchlight, NV for :10 and bought a bottle of gatorade (32 oz./200 cal.) and scarved down two of those cheap hotdogs with a bag of Fritos that those gas stations have for .99.

This ride was the final workout for the week and very key. It is way different than early season base riding where I go slow and easy and allow the body to become efficient at using body fat and free fatty acids. Take in just water and about 50 calories per hour. Not today. Adapting now to being able to hold a hard aerobic pace in order to ride a 5:36:00 split at the Full Vineman.

Here are the numbers:

Breakfast: 720 calories; pancakes, egg, lean ham, fruit.

On the bike: 1640 calories; works out to around 287 cal/hour intake.

Bike ride: Henderson, NV past Searchlight, NV towards Nipton and back. 101.4 miles in 5:20:34. 19.0 mph avg. 4,303 feet climbing

T-run: :05 change then 2.0 miles in :17:04/ 8:31 pace.

Nutrition intake seemed good since I ran easily at this pace. My goal is 9:00 pace for a 4 hour marathon.

The above distance numbers are from a Forerunner 201 GPS. It also calculated out the caloric expenditure. For the bike, 4928 cal which comes out to 929 cal/hour. Seems a little high but I was feeling a slight lactic acid burn in the legs for most of the ride plus there was some climbing, so maybe it is right. For the run, 304 calories.

Just had dinner. Current caloric intake at 3950

If I add the above expenditures to my 2400 base metabolic requirement, I need to take in 7632 calories. Tomorrow is a day off (except for a 6 mile power walk to Mass and back, plus some stretching and pushups and situps and pull cords) so, am going to have some beer and wine then eat another dinner later, plus dessert. I figure will end up around 1000 short.

Feel pretty good that next week is a recovery week and the last two weeks have been huge volume, more than anything I have done before. Last week 23.5 hours and this week will be 28.5. Am still in one piece.

Need to figure out some swim workouts for 1:03:00 split. Any ideas.

Conrad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Down 60 lbs from 220 back on 1-1-2004

Rock the hell on! Keep it up - what's a few tecates and chile rellenos amongst friends?

"Race day is a celebration of your training"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]How do you train that much on such low calorie consumption? [/reply]

I've been wondering that myself. I do get *really* tired. My wife and I joke that I'm on the "Diet 'till you're dizzy" diet. I'm also not dropping weight like I expected when I started this new diet several weeks ago. My guess is that I'm [1] not counting my calories correctly, [2] in starvation mode with disaster looming, [3] ???. Dunno.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 5'8" 160 how much more weight do you want to lose? Your dieting till you're dizzy is what got me started on this thread. Eating only 2,000 calories a day plus training is REALLY hard. I know I couldn't do it, yet some peoply (you as an example) can do it. I have found that if you're trying to eat healthy or semi-paleo, as I do, you have to eat more, not less. In order to do that you have to count calories and make sure you're taking in enough food so you don't get to the point where you're ready to pass out by the end of the week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/reply]

Digging this up again, I'm pretty new to this whole nutrition thing, could use a lil insight.

I was told that on top of calorie count, there's also the "good carbo" like rice and the "bad carbo" being potato. So i dug up some info on the food served here:

Calories Fat Protein Carbs
Baked Potato 150 0 3 5
long grain Rice 104 1 2 21

So i should choose rice because i get more "bang for buck", in this case, "carb for calorie"? or am i missing something? :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2500-3000

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm want to lose weight so I *try* to eat my BMR + whatever I burn during training.

Height: 5'8''
Weight: 155
----------------
BMR : 1657

If I run 6 miles @ 100 kcal per mile. I get to eat 1657 + 600 == 2257. The effect is that I:

1] Tend to run a defict of ~500 kcal since BMR does not account for anything other than base metabolic functions. Walking, doing the dishes, etc. are not accounted for.

2] I'm motivated to train because it's how I "pay" for my food, so to speak.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week I missed something like 6 meals, and weighed in 7 pounds under my pre-Thanksgiving weight. It was ugly.

Now, I burn calories like no ones business, but I'd probably be looking at 1500 last week, maybe less. 3000 to 3500 is normal for me.

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Re: Calorie Count [Anathema] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Search Glycemic Index... that will provide you with answers to your question about rice vs. potato vs. dense whole wheat bread.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply

Prev Next