Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Calling the Aero Posse....BP4 Handlebar Whitepaper
Quote | Reply
Has anyone else read through this and wondered about it?

http://www.bp4.bike/BP4-Whit-Paper.pdf

It's an interesting concept...Just not sure the white paper passes the smell test. Firstly the data at the same drag varies by as much difference as they are claiming, and secondly my gut feeling is the difference between the tops position and the drops position should be larger.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling the Aero Posse....BP4 Handlebar Whitepaper [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any time I the race is hard because of air I am in the drops so I can't be bothered to care.

However, more heights to put your hands at could be nice for some people.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Calling the Aero Posse....BP4 Handlebar Whitepaper [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look closer...they are claiming the position they created is faster than the drops. And not by a little amount either...Free speed over everyone else!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Calling the Aero Posse....BP4 Handlebar Whitepaper [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
Look closer...they are claiming the position they created is faster than the drops. And not by a little amount either...Free speed over everyone else!!!

yeah but that is absurd
just get narrower drops

Quote Reply
Re: Calling the Aero Posse....BP4 Handlebar Whitepaper [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bingo. I was with them with being faster over the traditional tops position (elbows look tucked in more), I bought that it MIGHT be faster than on the hoods...but they lost me, and all credibility, when they said that it was faster than the drops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
Bingo. I was with them with being faster over the traditional tops position (elbows look tucked in more), I bought that it MIGHT be faster than on the hoods...but they lost me, and all credibility, when they said that it was faster than the drops.

would be nice to have a little 'dip' in the bar near the stem so you could do invisible aerobars with less danger!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
Has anyone else read through this and wondered about it?

http://www.bp4.bike/BP4-Whit-Paper.pdf

It's an interesting concept...Just not sure the white paper passes the smell test. Firstly the data at the same drag varies by as much difference as they are claiming, and secondly my gut feeling is the difference between the tops position and the drops position should be larger.

Not buying it...and the data presentation is a mess.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Calling the Aero Posse....BP4 Handlebar Whitepaper [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to see hoods with horizontal forearms compared with all of those, though that company might not like to see it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wy not just mount a pursuit bar? Are they illegal in mass start events?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like the advantage they are touting is a position similar to the tops; but with the forearms at 45deg. (instead of parallel to the ground), which pulls in the elbows.

The gain really depends on how different your back position is in the drops vs. the tops.

You could always use this hand position, but down at the level of the drops......
Hello 1991!

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Calling the Aero Posse....BP4 Handlebar Whitepaper [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My fastest position is hands near stem. Not in the drops. I have my arms bent heavily and I ride pretty low, too.

Cuts down on body frontal area
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone else notice that on par 21 of that, two slices on the pie graph which are both supposedly 5% are massively different sizes?

But the data says it which means it is...;)
Quote Reply
Re: Calling the Aero Posse....BP4 Handlebar Whitepaper [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They ignored the Sphinx position. That's where I'm fastest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting idea, but you can achieve that same "breakaway" position with a normal bar. It may not be quite as comfortable on the wrists, but I can't recall ever caring about that during a breakaway.

Zach McCormick
Catalyst Cycling
http://www.catalyst.bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obtaining consistent numbers when comparing road positions requiring the elbows bent and suspending the upper body is difficult to achieve. The slightest change in elbow angle will skew the results good or bad. You need multiple runs in each position, preferably with multiple riders, in order to make any conclusions. It doesn't appear this was done, so I would not trust these numbers (there are many reasons I wouldn't trust these numbers, this is just one).

I find it odd that the "Sphinx" position was not tested. It's well known this position is faster than in the drops with the same back angle, so it most certainly should have been included. It wouldn't surprise me if it was tested, but not included in the results. If true, the results would have been more believable by including the numbers and simply stating they've created a comfortable (assumption) position that adds a more aerodynamic hand position than most others on a road bike.

They claim "independent" testing, but I see no evidence of this. It is an interesting concept to me, so if BP4 would like to send one of their bars to ERO, I will happily test it here and in the wind tunnel (likely A2 late fall/early winter). The results will truly be independent.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Calling the Aero Posse....BP4 Handlebar Whitepaper [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
(there are many reasons I wouldn't trust these numbers, this is just one).

Amen brother!

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: Calling the Aero Posse....BP4 Handlebar Whitepaper [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beyond the major methodological issues raised, how about the fact that their "new" position is only safe when off the front. I certainly wouldn't want guys in the pack using that hand position to save energy. I love innovation, but I am not buying any of these claimed gains. Now Jackmott's idea of having an integrated forearm rest for a tuck/tt position is an innovation I would like to see. I've resorted to using bar tape to provide a non-slip pad on my Spec Aerofly bars. Damon, maybe on the next edition of your bars you could integrate a small aero pad.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling the Aero Posse....BP4 Handlebar Whitepaper [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Jim, the wind tunnel testing was done at Faster in Arizona. So it was independent to be sure. Perhaps we can send you one to test for yourself. Let me know. Cheers, Cody
Quote Reply
Re: Calling the Aero Posse....BP4 Handlebar Whitepaper [TriathlonKid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonKid wrote:
Anyone else notice that on par 21 of that, two slices on the pie graph which are both supposedly 5% are massively different sizes?

But the data says it which means it is...;)

To paraphrase Tufte, the only thing worse than a pie chart is several of them, mislabeled.

And I suspect Pauli would've said this whitepaper wasn't even wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling the Aero Posse....BP4 Handlebar Whitepaper [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely.

Also want Jim to grab a bar and do some testing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was planning on going back to Jim for a fit update anyway. I'd be happy to ride this bar against my stock felt bars against the Enve aero road bar I'll be putting on and see which yields the biggest gains.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling the Aero Posse....BP4 Handlebar Whitepaper [Cody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cody wrote:
Hey Jim, the wind tunnel testing was done at Faster in Arizona. So it was independent to be sure. Perhaps we can send you one to test for yourself. Let me know. Cheers, Cody

I'm happy to conduct an independent test with the bars. I'm quite interested in whether or not they actually do provide a sustainable hand position with an aero advantage, so will consult with Cody, or whomever, prior to testing to insure proper setup of the bar and rider position. Whenever we test products from manufacturers, our goal is to neither bash or promote the product, but simply to provide non-biased results for our clients and consumers.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jim, once we have the production bars ready we will bring them to you. We are in Newport Beach. Can't wait.

Cheers,
Cody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Calling the Aero Posse....BP4 Handlebar Whitepaper [BP4rich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not going to lie....I'm surprised, but pleasantly so.

Do you happen to have pictures of the three positions closer to head on and from a pure side view while testing? Just trying to figure out how this position changes the body position to make it more aero.

thanks for following up.
Quote Reply

Prev Next