Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calling Jackmott to the LR, walking dead discussion
Quote | Reply
Jackmott, need help with the physics of a falling van and what would effect it's rate of rotation while falling and weather or not the fall demonstrated in the show was possible.
Last edited by: FTDA: Nov 18, 14 21:34
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Jackmott to the LR, walking dead discussion [FTDA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fook no it wasn't possible. You could tell from the first shot that it was gonna rotate over and woulda landed on its roof.

Unless that thing was a cat, there is no way it would have landed on its wheels.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
link to the thread

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Jackmott to the LR, walking dead discussion [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe they cut away while it completed the rotation and it landed back on the wheels? That shot was really bugging me too. Should have landed directly on the windshield.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FTDA wrote:
Jackmott, need help with the physics of a falling van and what would effect it's rate of rotation while falling and weather or not the fall demonstrated in the show was possible.

What is really creepy about this is I have not seen that episode, but I did dream about a van falling end over end with inexplicable survival of it's occupants.

Anyway this falls outside my realm of expertise so I'm going to stay out of it.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Jackmott to the LR, walking dead discussion [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I thought you knew everything about the physic of rotating objects.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Jackmott to the LR, walking dead discussion [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FTDA wrote:
Sorry, I thought you knew everything about the physic of rotating objects.

energy of a rotating wheel is a much simpler problem.
I was great at high school physics.
college was too much.
this is college shit here.

Quote Reply
Re: Calling Jackmott to the LR, walking dead discussion [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really. The fact that to fall off of the causeway it had to rotate to get off makes it physically impossible to land the way they did. Even if by some miracle it started to fall straight, the back tires would have hit the lip of the overpass and pushed the back part of the van forward, resulting in a roll. There is no way in hell it could have fallen on the wheels. Without a doubt it should have landed on the roof and bye bye Carol/Daryl.

Last edited by: Daremo: Nov 18, 14 11:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would latex tubes help cushion the landing?
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Jackmott to the LR, walking dead discussion [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there ever an instance where one shouldn't use a disc when fleeing zombies?
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Jackmott to the LR, walking dead discussion [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:

If you're riding to the hills to avoid them.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Jackmott to the LR, walking dead discussion [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:

modern fast zombies or traditional slow?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.amctv.com/...alking-dead-consumed

The dropped the van twice. The first time it landed upside down. Then they dropped another van so that it landed on it's tires

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Either way you need to make sure to stay in aero except to come up to shoot. Even then only when absolutely necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Jackmott to the LR, walking dead discussion [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was with a empty van and no motor.
I believe with a motor and two occupants the rate of rotation would be decreased and the result would be a decreased rate of rotation and the van would likely be a nose dive. Wish I had the math/physic skills to figure this out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
all you need to figure this out...
is a van!

FTDA wrote:
I believe with a motor and two occupants the rate of rotation would be decreased and the result would be a decreased rate of rotation and the van would likely be a nose dive. Wish I had the math/physic skills to figure this out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
all you need to figure this out...
is a van!

FTDA wrote:

Down by the river https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waeu4WXqbTU
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FTDA wrote:

Hey dummy, you could have just asked me. Regardless, you don't need to know all the unknown variables of vehicle and occupant weights, and the height of the bridge to figure it out. You can just look at the actual footage. First let me say, that cut was a horrible edit that should have never made it to screen.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Jackmott to the LR, walking dead discussion [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Unless that thing was a cat, there is no way it would have landed on its wheels.

Wait! What if Toonces was driving?
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Jackmott to the LR, walking dead discussion [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
FTDA wrote:

Hey dummy, you could have just asked me. Regardless, you don't need to know all the unknown variables of vehicle and occupant weights, and the height of the bridge to figure it out. You can just look at the actual footage. First let me say, that cut was a horrible edit that should have never made it to screen.

Exactly as I called it. Without seeing the video.

Physics for the win.

Quote | Reply
Don't go in there, JM. It's a trick! Once you go in the LR, you might never get out. I know from experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Anyway this falls outside my realm of expertise so I'm going to stay out of it.

You must be new here...
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Jackmott to the LR, walking dead discussion [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
squid wrote:
Don't go in there, JM. It's a trick! Once you go in the LR, you might never get out. I know from experience.

Jack has had some very long debates in the lr. All the cool people do.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply