Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calf strain with KOO Bondi 3's vs Cliftons
Quote | Reply
My first HOO's were Cliftons. Loved them. No issues. But wanted to train with something that had a little more structure. So got a pair of Bondi 3's. First time I used them felt some lower calf/upper achilles pain/strain. I've had issues with calf/achilles pain/stains in the past but been good for at least a year. So I rolled/stretched/rested and went back to Clifton's for a few weeks. Things felt better and then 2 more times went through the same thing.

Anyone else experience similar? Is this an issue of less rocker in the Bondi 3's? Are Bondi 4's more similar to the Cliftons? Other suggestions for a more structured trainer that will roll similar to the Clifton from HOO?

Thanks,
Adam
Quote Reply
Re: Calf strain with KOO Bondi 3's vs Cliftons [Asilverm1970] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump/still looking for input...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a good experience wearing the Clifton, but I added a pad in the heel to increase the drop. Tried the Hoka Challenger ATR and decided to give them a go without adding to the drop and bam...2 miles into my first run in them and my calf "went" and it was a painful walk home. I know it goes against all popular thinking now, but I feel best with a high drop shoe. The Brooks Ghost is a very cushioned shoe with a drop that is more than double that of the Hokas...not sure if that helps, but I'd like to hear some suggestions from others as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new Hoka Odyssey is a similar shoe as is the Conquest although that is a bit heavy

futrmultisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had trouble with Altra's but not with HOO Bondi 3's. However, I always had calf/achilles problems especially when increasing mileage but it stopped when I started doing eccentric calf muscle exercises.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the bondi 3 was, in my opinion, a miss. it was VERY wide in the forefoot. and this is the funny thing, we get folks here who complain about hokas having a narrow toe box, and for these folks they should rush for bondi 3 closeouts.

the clifton is not like that. the bondi 4 is not like that. yes, on paper the bondi 4 is a more structural shoe than the clifton. but the bondi 3 was so loose in the forefoot there was no structure. imagine a structure or guidance shoe that's 2 sizes too big. how much guidance would you have? i can imagine your calf not wanting your foot swimming all over in that shoe. in my opinion the clifton offers more structure than the bondi 3 because the clifton fits reasonably snugly in the forefoot. the bondi 4 is more guidance/structured than the clifton because it fits like the clifton and has all that midsole wrapping the upper.

will the bondi 4 solve the problem above that you describe? depends on what it was about the bondi 3 that gave you the problem. i just know that after i got my bondi 3, i rushed out, got a bunch of bondi 2 at closeout and waited that generation of bondi out, and am very happy with the 4.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply