Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Caffeine use/taper
Quote | Reply
Caffeine has become a regular part of my day. A couple cups of coffee in the am and also if I'm using gels for a workout, I'll use ones with caffeine in them. I've heard that by reducing your caffeine intake(or going cold turkey) prior to a race, then having caffeine race morning really boosts your performance. Anyone have any experiences with caffeine that you might like to share?
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine use/taper [TriNick99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I struggled with this for my A race last year...dropped it about two weeks out. It really helped me gauge my actual level of tiredness/fatiue better. In addition it helped with my hydration levels, dropping 2-3 cups a day of a diuretic was a good choice for me. I could judge my hydration levels more accurately. I never drink coffee prior to a race so cannot comment on the "super charge" effect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peter Reid stops drinking or taking in any coffee/caffeine during his hardest weeks of training. Then, on race morning, he drinks coffee. Obviously, it works for him to get a race day kick start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I completely knocked out coffee for 10 days before IM LOU. last year and had some good strong coffee race morning, and used it as always during the race. I honestly did not notice any huge increased BANG above normal. Maybe a little. It helped get out of a couple holes during the race, but it usually does regardless of wether I tapered it or not. I won't taper it again. My coffee tastes too dam good to not drink it.
Quote Reply