Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Caffeine could be headed to World Anti-Doping Agency’s prohibited substance list
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine could be headed to World Anti-Doping Agency’s prohibited substance list [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im not sure what the amount is but I know there is a threshold that is listed by the NCAA.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine could be headed to World Anti-Doping Agency’s prohibited substance list [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's in the article.

Quote:
The NCAA currently limits caffeine consumption for college athletes to 15 micrograms per milliliter, or roughly six to eight cups of coffee ingested two to three hours before a competition.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine could be headed to World Anti-Doping Agency’s prohibited substance list [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll save everyone a click:

"Without more research, WADA can’t predict what its threshold might be. Nor does the agency want to predict whether it’s likely caffeine will wind up back on the prohibited list at this point, but it appears, whatever happens, it’s likely Diaw and others won’t have to give up their pregame rituals.

The old threshold from when caffeine was previously on the prohibited list was 12 micrograms per milliliter, which amounts to about “four Starbucks lattes” ingested within a couple of hours, according to Men’s Health."

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine could be headed to World Anti-Doping Agency’s prohibited substance list [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the article....
"WADA added caffeine to its Monitoring Program for 2017 so experts could study whether athletes are using the substance “with the intent of enhancing performance.”

well, duh. I wonder what they found?

Folks sure ain't using to to make sure they PPC (poop prior to competition)

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine could be headed to World Anti-Doping Agency’s prohibited substance list [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:

Everyone knows that a couple of pre-race coffees are the quickest way to race weight.
I definitely use coffee for PPC. Also so I don't get withdrawal symptoms.
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine could be headed to World Anti-Doping Agency’s prohibited substance list [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:

"Without more research, WADA can’t predict what its threshold might be. Nor does the agency want to predict whether it’s likely caffeine will wind up back on the prohibited list at this point, but it appears, whatever happens, it’s likely Diaw and others won’t have to give up their pregame rituals.

The old threshold from when caffeine was previously on the prohibited list was 12 micrograms per milliliter, which amounts to about “four Starbucks lattes” ingested within a couple of hours, according to Men’s Health."

Thanks. Good synopsis. Long way from reality but I can see a few things they should consider first.....(ahem! Salazar.....)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys are all contemplating (tasty) oral, liquid doses. Think about tablets or suppositories too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gary, can you send me your email? Going to CC you on this email to USADA titled, "Geiger's Rapid Improvements, Concerned"

ggeiger wrote:
sch340 wrote:

Thanks. Good synopsis. Long way from reality but I can see a few things they should consider first.....(ahem! Salazar.....)

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine could be headed to World Anti-Doping Agency’s prohibited substance list [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't the handle on the cup stop it from being used as a suppository?

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine could be headed to World Anti-Doping Agency’s prohibited substance list [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vjohn wrote:
.... or suppositories too.

Last edited by: guscrown: Mar 8, 17 15:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone is going to get tripped up by this. Two large cups of coffee before the race, plus caffeine gels plus a coke or two on the run course could get someone tested positive at the finish line.
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine could be headed to World Anti-Doping Agency’s prohibited substance list [guscrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess you're not old enough to remember Gianni Bugno?

http://www.cvs.com/drug/ergotamine-caffeine/rectal-suppository
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine could be headed to World Anti-Doping Agency’s prohibited substance list [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose that's a very individual question.
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine could be headed to World Anti-Doping Agency’s prohibited substance list [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
I guess you're not old enough to remember Gianni Bugno?

http://www.cvs.com/drug/ergotamine-caffeine/rectal-suppository

I am, and I remember. :) Dude had the smoothest pedalling style in the pro peleton, even more impressive given he had a suppository jammed up his ass. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine could be headed to World Anti-Doping Agency’s prohibited substance list [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:

Not sure how much caffeine is in a latte, but if memory serves, when caffeine used to be banned, it was somewhere in the range of 800mg ingested all at once (or within an hour, whatever...). A lot. No one using coffee or a caffeine pill or two will ever need to worry about breaking the limit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/...m_term=.991e03bdfca9

If so, I may be in trouble......

Meh.

"Uiba is right about the substance being on the World Anti-Doping Agency’s watch list for in-competition prohibited substances, but he’s likely incorrect in insinuating athletes will have to give up coffee, soda and other naturally caffeinated beverages and food altogether.
“Generally speaking, WADA is extremely careful that normal food consumption does not interfere with anti-doping tests,” WADA spokeswoman Maggie Durand said Tuesday."
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine could be headed to World Anti-Doping Agency’s prohibited substance list [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
Doesn't the handle on the cup stop it from being used as a suppository?

Winner!

-- Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine could be headed to World Anti-Doping Agency’s prohibited substance list [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:

Actually I do. Seriously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too funny...

I enjoy the ergogenic benefit, but definitely add me to the PPC list. One thing that I can set my watch by.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/...m_term=.991e03bdfca9

If so, I may be in trouble......

You may be in trouble, but I'm fooked. I need caffeine to go to sleep! Well not really, but I usually have a coke before a race. Haven't taken to downing a RedBull, yet. Yet...
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine could be headed to World Anti-Doping Agency’s prohibited substance list [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will die if this goes through.

During my regular life, caffeine is a huge part of my routine. I just enjoy great coffee, my body has adapted to it, and besides, current research suggests that coffee, within reason, is actually very healthy.

Prior to a "A" race, however, I add to my taper tantrums by reducing my caffeine intake. On race day, I start with my normal caffeine intake. Also, a various stages during the race, I take a 32GI "G Shot," which is 60mg of caffeine. Of course, I'm not taking that for its performance enhancement! Sounds like it's unlikely, but possible.

Man...my life will fall apart if this happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine could be headed to World Anti-Doping Agency’s prohibited substance list [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quite. There's so much caffeine about in our everyday lives, unless you choose to shun it purposefully; so it needs to be a huge dose to return a positive test. So many gels and sports drinks contain it, as does red Coke - how would we get through an Ironman?!

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine could be headed to World Anti-Doping Agency’s prohibited substance list [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
Quite. There's so much caffeine about in our everyday lives, unless you choose to shun it purposefully; so it needs to be a huge dose to return a positive test. So many gels and sports drinks contain it, as does red Coke - how would we get through an Ironman?!

That was my question, would there not be allowed coke on the run?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine could be headed to World Anti-Doping Agency’s prohibited substance list [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CU427 wrote:
“Generally speaking, WADA is extremely careful that normal food consumption does not interfere with anti-doping tests,” WADA spokeswoman Maggie Durand said Tuesday."

So what about my Spanish steaks? Hey WADA, what about those.

Ian
Quote Reply

Prev Next