Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cadence Sensor or Power Meter or Both
Quote | Reply
I am pretty new to biking, but just bought a pretty nice set up. I am considering getting a cadence sensor since I seem to often be in the wrong gear when going up and approaching hills, but I have also been told that I should get a power meter instead and watch my wattage. My garmin watch has a candence sensor that you can purchase and is also compatible with several power meters. Should I get one or the other or both??? Thank you.

"Wait.....and Hope" -Edmond Dantes
Quote Reply
Re: Cadence Sensor or Power Meter or Both [BambooKing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much disposable income do you have?

Erik
Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You just need to spend alot of time riding your new bike. Don't worry about the toys for now. You don't need a cadence sensor to know when you are in the wrong gear. You will get a feel for that by just riding the bike. Ride the bike lots for a year and if you are still into this stuff, then buy a powermeter (it comes with a cadence sensor anyway).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
powertap comp wired with cadence sensor. <700$ new.
Last edited by: SeasonsChange: May 17, 10 10:00
Quote Reply
Re: Cadence Sensor or Power Meter or Both [mcdoublee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The garmin cadence sensor is about $40.00. I am willing to spend up to $300.00 on one or both.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could maybe find a used wired powertap for $300.

Erik
Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it'd be tough to find a powermeter for $300 (but powermeter does have the cadence sensor included). i'd get the garmin accessory or just a cheap bike computer that has a cadence sensor hooked up. learn to ride with your cadence in the 90's (or higher). a lot of beginner cyclists will mash around at 60 or lower on a flat, easy ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PT, no question. It doubles as a cadence sensor if you really want one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need a cadence sensor.
Quote Reply
Re: Cadence Sensor or Power Meter or Both [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice, so it sounds like I can dump the garmin candence sensor and focus on the power meter. As was suggested above, I probably need to just ride a bunch more before I buy any toys. If I was to pic up a new or used powertap power meter, which one should I get to get a nice middle of the road power meter,...how much should I spend for a new one and how much should I spend for a used one??? Thanks for all the help!!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cadence is very important in making sure you are working at the correct leg speed, then if you can't afford a power meter use PE or HR and it will get close.

A thing to remember is that just getting out the door and putting in good quality training with good rest and you will get faster however fancy your bike or computers are.
Quote Reply
Re: Cadence Sensor or Power Meter or Both [Brind-Surch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
cadence is very important in making sure you are working at the correct leg speed,
which is?

_________________________________________________________________________________
Training Plans -- Power Meter Hire -- SRM Sales Australia -- cyclecoach.com -- My Blog -- Sydney Turbo Studio
Quote Reply
Re: Cadence Sensor or Power Meter or Both [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You just need to spend alot of time riding your new bike. Don't worry about the toys for now. You don't need a cadence sensor to know when you are in the wrong gear. You will get a feel for that by just riding the bike. Ride the bike lots for a year and if you are still into this stuff, then buy a powermeter (it comes with a cadence sensor anyway).

this
Quote Reply
Re: Cadence Sensor or Power Meter or Both [Alex Simmons] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
cadence is very important in making sure you are working at the correct leg speed,
which is?

the naturally selected one
Quote Reply
Re: Cadence Sensor or Power Meter or Both [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
which is?

the naturally selected one

I agree with this in general, but not for new/untrained cyclists. Those folks can benefit from monitoring their cadence and training at a variety of CPVs to help them determine what cadence is most effective. A cadence readout can help raise awareness of that parameter to a new rider who may not be as sensitive to bogging down or over spinning as a moderately trained cyclist.
Quote Reply
Re: Cadence Sensor or Power Meter or Both [JollyRogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just ride.

x2

------
"It's easy to be hard, it's hard to be smart"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just ride.

And as a random thought - take that $300 and buy a $100 trainer and the $35 cadence/speed sensor. Now for $135, you'll have no excuses to not ride - and can also get in some good solid indoor workouts in as well, all while recording them.

And you'll still have $165 leftover to spend on important things...ya know...like Taco's or something.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can afford a Power Meter you should get one as soon as possible. You will quickly find a sweet spot for cadence that will maximize your power output at a manageble heart rate. You need to have the right combination of these 3 components that work best for you.

Park City Condo Rentals
http://www.traverseridge.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cadence Sensor or Power Meter or Both [howard11792] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok so after looking at all the posts I have a couple questions. What does a power meter do besides tell you the watts that you are churning out??? The reason why I ask is because after doing some research I have discovered that I can purchase a cadence sensor for $60. But a hub for a powertap costs around $700 plus the costs of getting the spokes of my wheel woven into it. From what I can tell both devices give you a baseline from which to measure your output. So what gives??? What does a powermeter do to warrant the extra $600????? Thanks again for all of your great help.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many people who recommend PM's do their long group rides in groups? Not drafting, but in groups.

I having trouble justifying dropping that kinda coin when I think I enjoy riding with my group more than I wuold knocking off 10 more minutes off my HIM time.

Wouldn't PM training basically be a solo deal?

<-obviously ignorant on the subject so please excusethe ignorance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't aware that a cadence sensor could give you a power output. I thought it just told you how fast you were spinning the pedals.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Cadence Sensor or Power Meter or Both [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a power meter is about $700 for a low end one brand new
Quote Reply
Re: Cadence Sensor or Power Meter or Both [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
In Reply To:
Just ride.

And as a random thought - take that $300 and buy a $100 trainer and the $35 cadence/speed sensor. Now for $135, you'll have no excuses to not ride - and can also get in some good solid indoor workouts in as well, all while recording them.

And you'll still have $165 leftover to spend on important things...ya know...like Taco's or something.

^^^ This... and instead of Taco's, spend it on TrainerRoad.com and you will have yourself a virtual power meter with your trainer. You will learn and improve your cycling than any other tool out there.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Cadence Sensor or Power Meter or Both [darqhaven] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
darqhaven wrote:
a power meter is about $700 for a low end one brand new

You realize this thread is 4 years old right?
Quote Reply

Prev Next