Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cadence + Building your base running
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering whether the research about cadence showing that a rate of ~180 steps per minute applies when running slow, such as LSD runs and base building run pace intended to add volume.

I'm asking b/c it seems nearly impossible to run slow enough with a cadence of 180. I shorten my strides and I already land on my mid-foot and forefoot, but running with 180 steps at say 10:00 pace seems incongruent.

Thoughts?

Proud Representative of Slowtwitch Anti-Atheists Society.
Quote Reply
Re: Cadence + Building your base running [Iamironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post_time&mh=100

That should get you about 250 different threads on run cadence. You can thank me later.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what the research says, but when i go for easy jogs I still typically have a rate of ~180 steps per minute. A little less on very easy jogs and a little more when running a true LSD workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're already running at a correct endurance pace, typically the step rate is closer to 168-172.

A step rate of 180 is not necessarily researched, but a 5% and 10% increase over preferred step rate has been. This has been linked to decreased impact force and internal rotation at the knee, both of which can increase potential of conditions such as PFPS. Some experience a decrease in the amount of pronation and pronation rate.

Quote:
but running with 180 steps at say 10:00 pace seems incongruent.

Are you trying to stay at a 10:00/mile pace? I believe you're asking this in the context of building base and adding volume, but what speeds are you currently racing at and training at?

http://www.reathcon.com
Quote Reply