Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

CX Questions
Quote | Reply
I have a new CX bike arriving and have a few questions. Mostly it is my fun fall/winter bike but I might actually race it so...

Can I race with platform pedals/cages and regular shoes?
If I run a single ring in front what should it be?
How often do you really use the brakes on the tops?
I'd really like to run Campy ergos but have a shimano rear der., will the JTek shift mate work with a cable running down the rear stay (I woudl think that it would)

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: CX Questions [Ti T'war] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Don't. It will make it that much harder to get into the pedals since you have to flip them over and get in. Just run platform pedals and forget the cages.

2) People typically run a 42 up front. Maybe a 40. Certainly no larger than 42.

3) Depends. I never used them till someone gave me a pair. Now I really like them but the spare bike does not have them and I'm fine with that. If they come with the bike leave them on. If they don't then wait till you change the cables and housing to put them on.

d) Not familiar with that particular application.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Why would you?

In Reply To:

Depends on the course and how strong you are, but somewhere between 40t and 42t should work.

In Reply To:

Don't have em, don't see the need for em.

In Reply To:
I'd really like to run Campy ergos but have a shimano rear der., will the JTek shift mate work with a cable running down the rear stay (I woudl think that it would)

Why not just get a Campy rear der? I can't say whether or not the JTek will work, but I'd assume so.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Re: CX Questions [brandonecpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only have road shoes, and an empty bike budget for now.

The reason to run the mix is because the wheelset is shimano and the der. is shimano. I'm not sure that I cna find a campy hub the the ritchey wheels.
Can i run SRAM with the shimano der?

Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just run flat shoes then. The toe clips are going to be a major pain.

SRAM shifters and rear ders are mated. The cassette spacing on SRAM and Shimano is the same though. I'm kinda lost on what you want to run with what.
Quote Reply
Re: CX Questions [mayhew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mostly i just don't like shimano hoods so I'm trying to figure out how to do that witht he least amount of pain/expense.

thanks

Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SRAM Rival brifters and RD might be your best answer. Fairly cheap and would work with your Shimano wheels and cassette. I'm always nervous about things like JTek, particularly on a cross bike where you'll probably get things muddy and banged up. In that case, simple is best.
Quote Reply
Re: CX Questions [c50jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regular shoes! if you mean road shoes forget it,you won't be able for the running sections.

Run a ring/block combo that's suitable for the course you are riding(42 x 13x26 should be a good compromise however)

If the ergos are the same speed(9/10) they should work ok with the shimano derailleur and block but may require trimming either at the upper or lower range of the block.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the best advice is not to sweat all the little details. Plently of people go out there on steel single-speed bikes and kick mucho butt with no regard to optimal set ups. Just go with what you have and have fun.

That said, here are my responses (i.e., all the little details that you shouldn't sweat):
  • Can I race with platform pedals/cages and regular shoes? You can (I've seen a few people do it), but I would stick with mtb shoes. You really don't run much in the races, so there is nothing to gain from wearing running shoes, but you have a lot to lose by wearing them. I think you need the platform that good cycling shoes provide for power/efficiency. Also, since so many races are muddy (or at least have wet grass), the superior traction that good mtb shoes provide in those conditions (as compared to regular running shoes) will benefit you IMO.
  • If I run a single ring in front what should it be? Depends on what your cassette is. If your easiest gear in the back is a 25 or 26, you can get away with a 39T in the front. If your easiest gear in the back is a 27, go with a 40T in the front. None of the local elites I know ever use more than a 42T (and if they don't do it, there's no reason for me to try it). I run double chainring guards with a 40T single ring in the front and a 11/26 in the back. That setup works well for me. Most people can't run double guards without buying a wider BB because there isn't enough clearance on the right chainstay for the inner guard (note-- if you use two chaingring guards, you also need longer chainring bolts and spacers/washers between the chainring and the outer chainguard). Instead, they use a single ring with one chainring guard on the outside and a Jump Start Chain Deflector where your front derailleur would be. That setup should keep your chain from coming off (you have to resize your chain if you are using a single ring so the tension is right). If you want a 40T ring, look for a Sugino or Salsa 40T.
  • How often do you really use the brakes on the tops? Never. I don't have them on the bars, and neither does anyone else I know (some took them off, others never installed them).
  • I'd really like to run Campy ergos but have a shimano rear der., will the JTek shift mate work with a cable running down the rear stay (I woudl think that it would)? I don't have any idea.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced five races last year with old road shoes and eggbeaters. Running in grass was slightly compromised. Had to be careful running on stone steps. Just got some $45 Nashbar mtn shoes and wish I spent the money last year (but was trying to get in on low budget after buying frame, pedals, and other misc. parts). Main reason Mtn shoes are better is it is much, much easier to clip in. Would have won one C race last year (where I got third) if I had the mtn shoes.

I run single 38 chainring, with a guard http://cyclocrossworld.stores.yahoo.net/spookalchain.html. Based on guard availability and what I've read, 38 or 42 is the common choice for single front. I'd say I'm "average" rider. Strong in local triathlons, but weak roadie. I don't know my FTP (ain't got no powermeter), I'm 45, strong Cat 4 racer (could probably make Cat 3 if I could do enough races), one and only 40K TT was 1:02:4x on flat but windy course this summer (would have broke an hour if I had a P4, or any Cervelo ;)). I spin out 38x12 at 25 MPH and will just recover if I'm going that fast in a cross race. Personally, I'd guess that you'd want a 42T front if you're sub 58 40k, or sub 5:30 IM rider, otherwise you're better off with 38.

Like you, I favor the feel of Campy hoods on my road bike. However, I don't think I'd like Campy for cross. I'm about half in drops and half on hoods. Bouncing on a bumpy course on the tops and applying the brakes from hoods, I like the extra meat of the Shimano hoods.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have a new CX bike arriving and have a few questions. Mostly it is my fun fall/winter bike but I might actually race it so...

- watch the classifieds, you may find some shoes, but do what you need to, until then
- 40-42 is normal, with a 26-11 range cassette
- Don't need 'em
- in Cyclocross Magazine 1st or 2nd issue there was an article about this - http://cxmagazine.com/ it may be on the website.

http://theworldthroumyeyes.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply