Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

CTL, TSB, ATL management
Quote | Reply
Hi All -

I have been using Training Peaks diligently this past year. I've had a good ramp the last 8 weeks and feel pretty strong. I have about 8 more weeks until IM Copenhagen (Aug 20). I am just coming off a pretty big week and took it relatively easy the last few days, but feel pretty good.

I haven't hit a positive TSB since late April. In general, I've felt great and haven't hit a wall, but worried I may burn out. Should I be taking a total REST week to get back to a positive TSB before hitting a final 7 weeks of training? Sorry for anyone who doesn't know all these acronyms!

Quote Reply
Re: CTL, TSB, ATL management [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don;t know that a total off week is necessary but maybe look to get to around from -10 to +10 before diving back into hard training. I use GC and basically pre-populate my future workouts by manually assigning them a TSS value, then figuring out what I need to do to get to positive numbers. The range stated above comes from J. Friel's site on TSB and I've only been working with these values for a short while, so take it all with a grain of salt. and more importantly, listen to your body. Sounds like you're on the right track regardless!

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/...-balanceso-what.html

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Last edited by: Callin': Jun 14, 17 8:34
Quote Reply
Re: CTL, TSB, ATL management [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you necessarily want TSB to be positive. Take a look at this:

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/...970b01b7c81c7ce8970b

Joe Friel mentions in the linked article that he believes that the “Optimal Training Zone” covers the range of -10 to -30. He also mentions that the "Grey Zone" range is -10 to +5, and that "you don’t want to spend too much training time here because there’s not much happening that will improve fitness. You’re sort of at a plateau in training. This is typically the zone you are in during a rest and recovery week, when tapering for an A-priority race, and when returning to hard training following an extended break."

Hope this helps...
Quote Reply
Re: CTL, TSB, ATL management [roserc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great articles! I love Friel's posts. It's tough to get the balance correct. Sometimes I was feeling horrible at only -15, but I just came off a HARD week with a massive ride at -50, but feel relatively OK right now. Maybe it's just coming together and I can push through the next few months and be sure to TAPER well for the race. Thanks again!
Quote Reply