Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

COBB V-Flow vs. ISM Adamo
Quote | Reply
Has anyone out there used both and have an opinion on which one they would recommend?

also, how the heck do i angle a seat slightly off center when the seat post doesn't allow the seat to be off center?
Quote Reply
Re: COBB V-Flow vs. ISM Adamo [somar77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used both Adamo Race & VFlow Max. I recommend the Max. Actually John himself moved me to it during a fit & I much prefer it.

The Adamo really only have one spot where it can work, and the Max allows you to move around a bit more to find your perfect spot, or general sliding around while riding in various positions (climbing, super aero, relaxed, etc).

I also like the curvature of the Max as opposed to the flat Adamo. Once you hang the junk off the front, the curve really cradles you where you need it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used both, but rather than proffer an opinion at first, I'll suggest there are some significant differences between these saddles- most notably, in length. The ISM's are generally truncated saddles where the nose has been amputated and they are configured to "sit off the nose". The logic may be, if the nose is bothering you, remove it.

More recent ISM saddles trend toward a more full-length, comventional orientation- not to replace previous designs, but as an addition.

Cobb cycling saddles generally trend toward a more conventional 27cm length.

A longer saddle may provide the rider with the benefit of greater surface area and more locations to sit on- you have more room to scootch forward and back. The shorter saddles may not offer the same degree of positional latitude. You basically have one location to sit, or a reduced surface area to sit on.

And, as an addendum, whenever I see people asking about saddles with an "unconventional" or otehr than traditional design, I always list the saddle comfort influencing factors, in what I'll suggest is order of importance:

1. Good bike fit and position: Is your saddle height, angle and fore/aft optimal?
2. Good saddle acclimation: Have you "got your seat" as the Euros like to say. Have you been on the saddle at short intervals regularly for at least 6 months?
3. Are you over weight? Being over weight increases saddle pressure and creates a catch-22 of needing to ride to lose weight, but being uncomfortable on the saddle because of being over weight. Losing weight will help enormously. In the mean time, a saddle you can tolerate in the mean time helps too.
4. Good bike shorts (not tri shorts for training) worn tight enough and without underwear. People who spend a lot of time in the saddle like bibs. They hold the pad snuggly against your body and prevent shifting of the anatomy.
5. Use chamois cream: Assos, Chamois Butt'r, Dee's Nutz, even Nivea (as its used in Europe a bit). Some type of chamois lubricant helps enormously.

And finally, since you asked, having ridden both I am a fan of the Cobb Cycling saddles and the Fizik Arione Tri and Road saddles.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Last edited by: Tom Demerly: Apr 19, 11 9:29
Quote Reply
Re: COBB V-Flow vs. ISM Adamo [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<Begin Hijack>

Tom - What do you think of the statement by my "very experienced" LBS fitter who told me that if I'm riding a Cobb V-Flow Max on a Cervelo P2C that I should ride that saddle with the 75 degree seat tube angle (2nd hole) because the way the Max is designed it effectively puts the someone riding it in the 78 degree seat tube angle (1st hole) at a MUCH steeper (than 78) angle?

<End Hijack>
Quote Reply
Re: COBB V-Flow vs. ISM Adamo [JohnsonNavinR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I think your fitter did well to read the instructions with the saddle and understands how it is supposed to be used. You do sit off the front end of it. In concept, they are right.

Perhaps the only exception I might notice is that 78 degrees is a pretty shallow effective (actual) seat tube angle for a triathlete to be sitting at. The original tri bikes had 90 degree seat tube angles. I actually sit at 81 degrees (actual seat tube angle to center of saddle) and I've got long-ish femurs.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ive tried them all and the v-flow max was the only one i could get comfortable on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom Demerly wrote:
I've got long-ish femurs.

Same here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try both. Some people like the ISM's, some like the Cobb's. The Adamo was too wide for me, it chafed my thighs. I've got a V-flow plus and max and generally prefer the plus over the max, although I've been swapping them around lately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom Demerly wrote:
I have used both, but rather than proffer an opinion at first, I'll suggest there are some significant differences between these saddles- most notably, in length. The ISM's are generally truncated saddles where the nose has been amputated and they are configured to "sit off the nose". The logic may be, if the nose is bothering you, remove it.

More recent ISM saddles trend toward a more full-length, comventional orientation- not to replace previous designs, but as an addition.

Cobb cycling saddles generally trend toward a more conventional 27cm length.

A longer saddle may provide the rider with the benefit of greater surface area and more locations to sit on- you have more room to scootch forward and back. The shorter saddles may not offer the same degree of positional latitude. You basically have one location to sit, or a reduced surface area to sit on.

And, as an addendum, whenever I see people asking about saddles with an "unconventional" or otehr than traditional design, I always list the saddle comfort influencing factors, in what I'll suggest is order of importance:

1. Good bike fit and position: Is your saddle height, angle and fore/aft optimal?
2. Good saddle acclimation: Have you "got your seat" as the Euros like to say. Have you been on the saddle at short intervals regularly for at least 6 months?
3. Are you over weight? Being over weight increases saddle pressure and creates a catch-22 of needing to ride to lose weight, but being uncomfortable on the saddle because of being over weight. Losing weight will help enormously. In the mean time, a saddle you can tolerate in the mean time helps too.
4. Good bike shorts (not tri shorts for training) worn tight enough and without underwear. People who spend a lot of time in the saddle like bibs. They hold the pad snuggly against your body and prevent shifting of the anatomy.
5. Use chamois cream: Assos, Chamois Butt'r, Dee's Nutz, even Nivea (as its used in Europe a bit). Some type of chamois lubricant helps enormously.

And finally, since you asked, having ridden both I am a fan of the Cobb Cycling saddles and the Fizik Arione Tri and Road saddles.

WOW!

Thanks Tom!

Is there a substantial difference between the V-Flow, Max, and Plus?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every azz is different I suppose. I bought a new Transition this year and ordered an Adamo Racing to replace the stock seat. After doing so I bought a Cobb V-Flow Max only because I ran across one for sale at a decent price. I have yet to try the Cobb. I like the Adamo so darn much I don't want to try the Cobb. Maybe I should but for now I am loving the Adamo too much.
Quote Reply
Re: COBB V-Flow vs. ISM Adamo [rbishop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbishop wrote:
Every azz is different I suppose. I bought a new Transition this year and ordered an Adamo Racing to replace the stock seat. After doing so I bought a Cobb V-Flow Max only because I ran across one for sale at a decent price. I have yet to try the Cobb. I like the Adamo so darn much I don't want to try the Cobb. Maybe I should but for now I am loving the Adamo too much.

My friend keeps pushing me towards the Adamo, he feels the same way you do about it. But I have read over and over that people have switched from the Adamo to the Cobb.

If you make the switch and choose the Cobb, you want to sell me the Adamo? :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Adamo is staying put for now. My butt loves it too much to part with it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it was worth a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not like the Adamo Racing much. I started with an older Road, but tried the Breakaway (more padding than the Podium) and found it much more comfortable, though I have the old Road on my road bike, and the Breakaway on my Transition. I think the Podium and Breakaway are a little longer than the Racing/Road.

I think with any saddle, it is a combo of what fits the butt, as well as making sure you have the right position and angle. I see a lot of people who sit too far back on the Adamos
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just put on an Adamo Road after sending back the V Flow Max. With cobb, you can't go wrong with the return policy. I put a few hundred miles on it and it never felt right. Have one ride on the adamo, it's different, bu t as of now more comfortable than the Cobb. As for the angle, I have the same question, as the aero seat post won't allow lateral movement
Quote Reply
Re: COBB V-Flow vs. ISM Adamo [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
I just put on an Adamo Road after sending back the V Flow Max. With cobb, you can't go wrong with the return policy. I put a few hundred miles on it and it never felt right. Have one ride on the adamo, it's different, bu t as of now more comfortable than the Cobb. As for the angle, I have the same question, as the aero seat post won't allow lateral movement

I'm thinking about just bending the nose slightly to the left.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twist the rails a little bit in a vise, then mount. will take some trial and error.
Quote Reply
Re: COBB V-Flow vs. ISM Adamo [LuckyMe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuckyMe wrote:
Twist the rails a little bit in a vise, then mount. will take some trial and error.

i was joking, but will that really work? i'm game for anything that will help the boys
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have gone from Adamo Road to Cobb V-flow Max and just recently back to Adamo Podium.The Cobb just did not work for me. After 90+ miles on the Podium yesterday, I think I am finally a happy man on the bike again. The curved down prongs means I can set the saddle level yet not have them dig in when in aero. Having it level means I don't feel like I am being constantly pushed forward. It definitely has stiffer padding, but I am used to riding saddles like that. And I also like the longer back of the saddle - I found myself going uphill rolling my hips back into a seated climbing position much like my road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I road an Adamo for almost 2 season and liked it on the road. However, when I started using it indoors and didn't move around I wasn't as happy. I changed to Cobb Max and really like it. Compared to a normal saddle the Adamo is way better. Compared to a Cobb, I find a little too wide. The length was never a problem. It was just a little wider then I liked. I know several others that have a Cobb Max and really like it. At the end of the day Saddles are personal and if you can test them before buying you will be better off.
Quote Reply