Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buying new TT bike from Canada and ship to US
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

First post I have been a long time lurker but just wanted to ask the folks here about purchasing a new TT bike and having it shipped over to the states.

With US/CAD exchange rates becoming highly favorable ($1USD = $1.27 CAD) I am considering taking advantage of this but am wondering if (outside of international shipping costs) I would have to pay additional sales taxes or duty once it crosses the border?

For example a $3k (CAD) Cervelo p2 would cost approximately $2354 USD
Quote Reply
Re: Buying new TT bike from Canada and ship to US [JTNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you would have to pay gst and pst in Ontario, which is 15%. I'm sort of stunned anything in CAN would be cheaper
Quote Reply
Re: Buying new TT bike from Canada and ship to US [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
13% actually.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying new TT bike from Canada and ship to US [Sim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sim wrote:
13% actually.

HST, you are right, when did that happen? Used to be yanks could apply for part of the tax back on purchases, the PST part maybe I forget. With HST, you don't have that option, I expect?
Quote Reply
Re: Buying new TT bike from Canada and ship to US [JTNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently no duties for framesets purchased from a NAFTA country

Suggest you check out the Harmonized Tariff Schedule. Bike frames (painted) and parts are listed under 8714.91.20 (under chpt 87http://hts.usitc.gov/).

I bought my TT bike from a shop in ON, sight unseen. I don't think any GST/HST was levied.

As for shipping, always USPS as UPS and FedEx are liable to get inspected.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying new TT bike from Canada and ship to US [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
Sim wrote:
13% actually.

HST, you are right, when did that happen? Used to be yanks could apply for part of the tax back on purchases, the PST part maybe I forget. With HST, you don't have that option, I expect?

The HST changeover was over 5 years ago, the exact date escapes me - but the total sales tax rate in Ontario has been 13% for a bit longer than that.
And I think you're right, tourists can't apply for a rebate anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying new TT bike from Canada and ship to US [Sim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The shop has to ship to the USA and then they do not have to pay the hst on it and should not charge you. I am not sure how the bike would be less as almost all our prices are higher. I buy most of my stuff from the UK now as that seems to have the best prices for me.

Also Keep in mind that shipping from Canada via any method is insanely expensive and it seems the rates just went up even more recently.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying new TT bike from Canada and ship to US [ajh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was quoted about $120 for shipping from Ontario to NY. I am working with a bike retailer to see what is involved but they are telling me that I won't be charted any of the taxes but I am going to contact some more sources.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying new TT bike from Canada and ship to US [ajh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajh wrote:
The shop has to ship to the USA and then they do not have to pay the hst on it and should not charge you. I am not sure how the bike would be less as almost all our prices are higher. I buy most of my stuff from the UK now as that seems to have the best prices for me.

Also Keep in mind that shipping from Canada via any method is insanely expensive and it seems the rates just went up even more recently.

Yes prices for Canadian sold bikes are slightly higher relative to US prices however the exchange rate offsets some of that increase.
Quote Reply