Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Buying a second hand Compu-trainer What to look for [reggiedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As the other guy said power isn't a component of cadence. I have people who can spin at a high cadence and a relatively high power output, IE 110 - 120 rpm at 350 watts. I have other people that couldn't hold 100 rpm but can mash out the same 350 watts on the same course at 75-85 rpm. The load generator cares nothing about cadence relative to power output on a multi-rider system.

The coaching software is a bit different and it may be where you're confused. If you're riding say the 10 power intervals program the computer will change the load on your wheel regardless of how fast or slow you pedal, it's always going to put you at a percentage of what is entered for your AT. But that being said if you really slow down a lot it can only do so much to keep you at the proper percentage and then the power will fall off.

I think the coaching software is a little buggy and can be a memory hog on the PC that can cause some weird things to happen with larger groups on a pc that has limted memory.

I've seen a few places where people aren't technically up to the challenge of getting this stuff up and running or keeping it that way. Some are better at it than others.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a second hand Compu-trainer What to look for [ECE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a very used CT a couple of years ago and still running strong. Everything on the CT is replaceable so if anything does break I can get a replacement from them. Gets used 4-5 times a week and probably 7 times during the winter since both wife and I use it.

Haven't had any issues with the coaching software, I have a dedicated laptop running XP and use the old serial-usb connector it works just fine. I don't need the "drag" feature that is one of the only things different between the current version and the one I own.

Watts seem pretty close to my PT numbers, moreso if I take the time to properly calibrate it before the ride.

I picked it up on Craigslist for 300 bucks, cheaper than a lot of regular trainers.

Also know someone with the Super-Nintendo version and his is still going strong.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a second hand Compu-trainer What to look for [reggiedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It seems to me that they set the wattage to track precisely at 90 rpm. i.e., if you want 200 watts to be your 100% target, then you have to ride 90 rpm to follow the profile of the workout. If the program is calling for 90% (180 watts) and you ride at less than 90 rpm, your power output will be below 90%/180 watts. Maybe that is particular to the set-up at the place I ride? In that case, having the cadence sensor working is important.
This is not correct.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Training Plans -- Power Meter Hire -- SRM Sales Australia -- cyclecoach.com -- My Blog -- Sydney Turbo Studio
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a second hand Compu-trainer What to look for [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those interested in a group buy I'll see if we can get a deal through racermate. I believe in years past the group buy was completed through a retailer and not directly with racermate. Does anyone have any info on group buys from years past?

Quote | Reply
I contacted racermate and the 1474 deal ended 8/31. Damn! I am buying one for the winter anyway, so i'd be in for a group buy. wonder if they can get better than the price listed on the site: • $100 off each unit when ordering 5+ CompuTrainers Together!

ETA - just searched the previous group buy attempt, turns out CT is/was trying to go retail outlets and wasn't allowing informal group buys (not affiliated with a tram, club, etc.)
Last edited by: ChrisM: Sep 7, 10 22:29
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a second hand Compu-trainer What to look for [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I contacted Racermate and the only deal they will offer is $100 off if we buy 5 or more...not much of a deal in my opinion. Does anyone know a computrainer retailer that might offer ST a better group buy?

Quote | Reply
One random experience - after a month of tracking ebay to try and get a CT on the cheap, I took a flyer and picked up a (very old) Nintendo Pro version for under $500. The pro version has a 1500w load limit and 10w increments in erg mode, just like considerably newer models. This was almost year ago and so far it's worked flawlessly (should mention I've only gotten real serious about using it the last couple months, prepping for cross season). Actually using it in "computer" mode is super-cheesy, but necessary for AT tests and the like. Except for tests i always use it in erg mode and it works great for that, my interval workouts have been much improved. If you have the money to drop I would go new, since as you've seen it's not a huge discount to go used on anything like the current models. But if you can do with all the new software-driven features, the Nintendo-Pro option is worth considering if you find one offered by a highly-rated seller.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a second hand Compu-trainer What to look for [colobrio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if a group buy works out count me in!

"slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a second hand Compu-trainer What to look for [wareagledusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to post to this thread. Don't do so very often.

Being Service Manager for RacerMate I am very surprised when I read comments about the service we provide. I try very hard to make sure users get service and I'll even post replies to users on my own time, from my iPhone. I have NEVER had a customer call me saying they didn't get help. I read about it, I hear it at trade shows - but never at the time does anyone call me (i.e., I'd like to speak to your manager!) and tell me they haven't been helped in some way.

Yes, we are a small group of people and being a seasonal product we don't have the luxury of hiring and laying off people every year, so when it gets crazy busy we, rather than have an on-hold queue, use a voice mail system. Playing voice-mail tag is sadly commonplace, but that's why we have email and the forum to fill in the gaps. Not a perfect world, I agree, but I'm not sure there is a better way other than having you sit on hold for an hour or more.

So... just in case people are reading this after searching SlowTwitch I wanted this in here. Sorry to usurp the thread, but thought it was worth posting.

In regard to lifespan, CT, when used in a MultiRider environment is more prone to problems than a home user would have. Though on the surface people don't see many changes, inside there are many - and all based upon failure modes. My experience in their use in a MultiRider center is that many centers allow users to setup their bikes. These users are not often given the training needed to assure everything is done right. We've seen a many unit come in with obvious user-induced failure. But also consider these are in a commercial environment and you can't easily compare this to home use. Indeed we recommend a center have a spares kit, not for our sake, but theirs. If you have 8 riders scheduled and a unit fails, you can fulfill your commitment to the cyclist. Cables, if they fail, I read somewhere (may have been another post) are actually pretty cheap, not expensive as I read somewhere.

OK, that's all i had to say. I try to avoid answering much on SlowTwitch, but am researching user comments as I design the latest software... Thanks for putting up with me.

P.S. If you are looking for a used trainer, just make sure it is a "Pro" model 8001 or higher and everything we've ever made can be made compatible with what we are doing today - by design. And there is some new stuff on the horizon that will be compatible to any CT going back 20 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a second hand Compu-trainer What to look for [Alex Simmons] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
It seems to me that they set the wattage to track precisely at 90 rpm. i.e., if you want 200 watts to be your 100% target, then you have to ride 90 rpm to follow the profile of the workout. If the program is calling for 90% (180 watts) and you ride at less than 90 rpm, your power output will be below 90%/180 watts. Maybe that is particular to the set-up at the place I ride? In that case, having the cadence sensor working is important.
This is not correct.

I think the confusion here is the RPM pointer and what it is used for. Watt training uses a function called ergo mode and this is adjusting torque to maintain a watt-constant. If your RPM is all over the place the computer has to work overtime to adjust torque to reestablish the wattage you are working to maintain. By holding as steady a cadence you can - there is far less adjusting of things and a far more consistent work being done. This is physics, not anything else.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Roger Moore
Software Development Mgr.
RacerMate Inc. http://www.racermateinc.com
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a second hand Compu-trainer What to look for [ctguru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just wanted to post to this thread. Don't do so very often.

Being Service Manager for RacerMate I am very surprised when I read comments about the service we provide. I try very hard to make sure users get service and I'll even post replies to users on my own time, from my iPhone. I have NEVER had a customer call me saying they didn't get help. I read about it, I hear it at trade shows - but never at the time does anyone call me (i.e., I'd like to speak to your manager!) and tell me they haven't been helped in some way.

Yes, we are a small group of people and being a seasonal product we don't have the luxury of hiring and laying off people every year, so when it gets crazy busy we, rather than have an on-hold queue, use a voice mail system. Playing voice-mail tag is sadly commonplace, but that's why we have email and the forum to fill in the gaps. Not a perfect world, I agree, but I'm not sure there is a better way other than having you sit on hold for an hour or more.

So... just in case people are reading this after searching SlowTwitch I wanted this in here. Sorry to usurp the thread, but thought it was worth posting.

In regard to lifespan, CT, when used in a MultiRider environment is more prone to problems than a home user would have. Though on the surface people don't see many changes, inside there are many - and all based upon failure modes. My experience in their use in a MultiRider center is that many centers allow users to setup their bikes. These users are not often given the training needed to assure everything is done right. We've seen a many unit come in with obvious user-induced failure. But also consider these are in a commercial environment and you can't easily compare this to home use. Indeed we recommend a center have a spares kit, not for our sake, but theirs. If you have 8 riders scheduled and a unit fails, you can fulfill your commitment to the cyclist. Cables, if they fail, I read somewhere (may have been another post) are actually pretty cheap, not expensive as I read somewhere.

OK, that's all i had to say. I try to avoid answering much on SlowTwitch, but am researching user comments as I design the latest software... Thanks for putting up with me.

P.S. If you are looking for a used trainer, just make sure it is a "Pro" model 8001 or higher and everything we've ever made can be made compatible with what we are doing today - by design. And there is some new stuff on the horizon that will be compatible to any CT going back 20 years.

I see from his other post that ctguru is Roger Moore. I can tell everyone that when I emailed him I initially got an out of office reply that indicated that he was on vacation for a couple of weeks. Two hours later he emailed me back while on vacation. 5 -star approval in my book.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a second hand Compu-trainer What to look for [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I see from his other post that ctguru is Roger Moore. I can tell everyone that when I emailed him I initially got an out of office reply that indicated that he was on vacation for a couple of weeks. Two hours later he emailed me back while on vacation. 5 -star approval in my book.

Yep, the cat's out of the bag. Either that is 5-star service - or I'm just a workaholic. ; )
Quote Reply

Prev Next