Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buying a mountain bike
Quote | Reply
I have no real mtn bike experience but want to take advantage of some of the trails in Austin and hopefully do some xterra racing late this year or next season.

How important is tire size? The bike I'm looking at (http://www.scottusa.com/category.php?UID=317) is a kids' frame with 24" tires. I also tried out an adult-sized frame with 26" tires, but it felt like a mile to the ground. I was a lot more comfortable on the 24" tires but was told that I'd be better off with the 26" ones because of clearance.

What else do I need to know about buying a racing-suitable mountain bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a mountain bike [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a scalpel, you'll be happy

"Oh you hate your job? There's a support group for that, it's called EVERYBODY and they meet at the bar."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will need the bigger wheels if you ever want to go over a log. Bigger wheels go over objects better with less effort on the rider's part. Go for 26" and you will not regret it.

Go to the shops you like and try out everything you like. I looked at Cannondale Prophet/Scalpel, Iron Horse Azure, Santa Cruz Superlight, and Jamis Dakar XC before going a whole other direction.

On that note I just picked up a '05 Giant NRS Composite 1 at my local Performance. I was there to look at other XC rides and they just happened to see this bike with a big frame off to the side and thought I'd throw a leg over and try 'er out. Turns out to be just the bike I was looking for: no bob of the suspension, accelerates and climbs great, and still will not leave me with a sore back and butt. (That and I got a killer deal.)

Performance is dropping Giant as a brand and things are priced to go, so if you have one close to you it may be worth checking out.

Do not buy by your wallet. Let your butt and endorphins tell you what to buy.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a mountain bike [Chest Rockwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Do not buy by your wallet. Let your butt and endorphins tell you what to buy.
That is a great statement. Although there is probably some limit to what you can spend, dont skimp(sp). I recently bought a Mtn Bike and went for a less expensive model because I just dropped a considerable amount on a new Tri-bike. I am very disappointed in the Mtn Bikeand will probably end up buying another one.

Quote | Reply
How tall are you? No way you'd want to ride a 24" tire MTB unless you're really short (or you're racing BMX).

Lots of great MTB's to choose from (just like with tri or road bikes). I just bought two (to replace stolen bikes) - a dual suspension Santa Cruz Blur, and a hardtail Gary Fisher Big Sur. (Also got a new Lucero - Christmas in February!!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cannondale makes a women's mtn bike that comes in a 'petite' size. Not sure if it'll be small enough, but like the others have said, you'd be better off if you could find a 26" bike that fits.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Buying a mountain bike [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On that theme, Santa Cruz makes the Juliana, which is a WSD. (women specific design)
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a mountain bike [blur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'0"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]I'm 5'0"[/reply]

I would say more like 4 ft and 11.5 inches instead of a full 5 feet ;-)

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The small size of the Trek WSD Fuel line-up of bikes would probably work well for you...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.kerrylitka.com/revisebikeguids.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check out Santa Cruz's Julianna, it would be a good fit for you.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check out a Titus Racer-X is xxs (it comes in pink!) or the Santa Cruz Juliana in XS. These are both really nice xterra full suspension bikes and should fit you just fine. The smaller tires will make trail riding, especially over rocks or anything you have to go over a lot sketchier. Plus you'll have a hard time finding any true mtn bike tires for the 24 inch wheels. I have a friend who's 5'2 who loves her Juliana small and another friend who's 4'11" and loves her Juliana XS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have no real mtn bike experience but want to take advantage of some of the trails in Austin and hopefully do some xterra racing late this year or next season.

How important is tire size? The bike I'm looking at (http://www.scottusa.com/category.php?UID=317) is a kids' frame with 24" tires. I also tried out an adult-sized frame with 26" tires, but it felt like a mile to the ground. I was a lot more comfortable on the 24" tires but was told that I'd be better off with the 26" ones because of clearance.

What else do I need to know about buying a racing-suitable mountain bike?

Well... since I live in Texas, and just an hour ago rolled in from a mountain bike race (at Warda), and have two kids under 5' tall, and they race mountain bikes and off-road duathlons (and win, I'm proud to say), and in the industry and with regular-sized people there is lots of misinformation about WSD and misconceptions as well, and since I have personal knowledge I think I can help:

Juliana, Racer-X, Scalpel, Giant NRS, Fuel, and some others are all nice bikes, but no, no, no, no and no.

First of all, the only one that will fit you is the Racer-X XXS. Secondly, you don't want, or need a full suspension for the races in Texas, or any of the Xterra courses.

What you need is this (taken at today's race ;-) :

A small-framed hardtail with;

26" wheels;

RockShox SID fork;

Kenda Karma tires (run tubeless);

lightweight wheels ;

hydraulic disc brakes;

Sram XO triggers or grip-shifters; and

Selle Italia SLR or Fizik Aliante or Gobi saddle

Why?

I can't remember EVER seeing a competitive, young, small, woman racing on anything other than a hardtail. You put out MUCH less power than a larger woman or even small man, so the extra weight (and complexity) of a full suspension bike will be much more an issue with you than with a more powerful rider. My daughter is 4'7" tall, and that's a 12" frame. There are a few bike companies that makes frames that small. When my brain is not as mushy (I really did JUST drive in from the race and I'm really tired) I'll recommend some frames and also shops in Austin.

24" wheels just don't roll over terrain as well as 26" wheels do, there are no high-performance 24" tires, you can't build a 24" wheel lighter than a 26" wheel because the available 24" rims are heavier than the 26" ones, and suspension forks for 24" wheels are heavy, have lots of stiction, and are almost non-adustable.

RockShox SID fork is the lightest, and the most adjustable fork for a lightweight person. My daughter weighs 70 pounds and it's fully functional with her weight (although I have some secrets I might share with you to make it work even better ;-) .

Kenda Karma's are, light, versatile and THE tire for the Texas courses, and truthfully if you also have a set of Kenda Nevegals you have virtually every course in the US taken care of. Tubeless (with Stan's fluid) because you can then run crazy-light air pressures and not have to worry about pinch-flatting or flatting, period.

Lightweight (as in light, not the brand "Lightweight") wheels, just because you don't need anything more. If you want the killer setup, go with the Stans custom-bulit wheels (www.notubes.com ) and he can build you a set of 1,300g (+/-) wheels for under $600. If you want light and bullet-proof, then Crossmax SL's like in the picture.

Hydraulic brakes are a godsend for small people with small hands because they take so much less effort and modulate so much better. Specificially I recommend Magura Marta SL's (the bike in the picture has prototype SL's but production ones have silver bodies), which weigh as much or less than the lightest V-brakes.

SRAM is da bomb, it's just plain better than XTR and the two shifter systems work better with smaller hands.

Since you're that small I assume you're petite and relatively-narrow hipped... accordingly WSD saddles are WAY too wide for you, and you can't get behind them for descents... the SLR is narrow, and the XP version has more padding and is perfect for mountain biking. IF you have a favorite road bike saddle, though, try and use that first. My daughter uses the regular SLR and Fizik Aliante on her bikes.

I probably have more information but I'm exhausted and my brain is mush, so I'm off to beddy-bye... I'll post more tomorrow and should be more articulate as well ;-)

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Last edited by: IronDad: Mar 6, 06 8:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OH... and we'll be racing in Austin next weekend (Lago Vista road race) and then the following weekend at Comfort (MTB-1.5 hrs from Austin) so if you want to ride her bike and see what I'm talking about you're more than welcome to. Actually Comfort would be a really good idea because you could actually take it out on the trails where the races are held and get a true feel for it. And if you can bring one of the full suspension bikes recommended with you and then climb with both of them, with your weight I guarantee her bike will outclimb any full suspension bike you can find. If you can't bring one, I can probably arrange for an XXS Racer-X (probably THE best FS bike in small sizes), and my guarantee still stands... sounds crazy, huh? But true...

Riding one is really the only way, and when you ride her bike you'll immediatly see and feel what I'm talking about.

OK... off to bed now ... peace out ;-)

Last edited by: IronDad: Mar 6, 06 8:26
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a mountain bike [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re: run tubeless everywhere in the country - either you haven't ridden anywhere there is cactus or goathead thorns or are the luckiest person in the world.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a mountain bike [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
re: run tubeless everywhere in the country - either you haven't ridden anywhere there is cactus or goathead thorns or are the luckiest person in the world.

Uh... Texas, no cactus?!

I guess I forgot to mention Tubeless w/ Stan's!

Quote Reply
Re: Buying a mountain bike [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Dad... your mtn bike advice is EXACTLY what i needed. And I love my oakley half-jackets that you recommended for me, too, a while ago...

I don't think my training schedule this weekend is going to let me do anything other than train (IMAZ getting close!), but I'm going to research the Racer-X and see if I can get my hands on one from a shop here...

I hope someday my kids will have a dad as cool as you. Your kids are really lucky to have a supportive father like you!!
Quote Reply