Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Butterfield runs open marathon
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this was posted and I missed it, but an impressive marathon by Tyler Butterfield today in warmer temperatures. He ran a 2:27:07 to take the win in Bermuda. Not bad for a self
Proclaimed “bigger” triathlete.

http://mobile.royalgazette.com/...p;template=mobileart

https://twitter.com/mungub
Last edited by: mungub50: Jan 14, 18 19:39
Quote Reply
Re: Butterfield runs open marathon [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is an excellent time. IIRC, Mark Allen's best open mary was around 2:25, so Tyler's pretty close to The Grip's best. OTOH, Ali Brownlee could potentially run 2:13 based on his 28:30 open 10K.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mungub50 wrote:
Not sure if this was posted and I missed it, but an impressive marathon by Tyler Butterfield today in warmer temperatures. He ran a 2:27:07 to take the win in Bermuda. Not bad for a self

not a flat course either. I think he's now officially faster than his mom ;-)

ETA - not a joke either. His mom was fast...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jan 15, 18 5:32
Quote Reply
Re: Butterfield runs open marathon [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
mungub50 wrote:

2:38. also, was 4th in boston. but is he faster than his dad? i don't know. bear in mind, he was a professional cyclist for slipstream. (tyler). so here's a riddle i don't know the answer to: what is the fastest marathon ever run by a former professional cyclist previously on a grand tour cycling team?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Butterfield runs open marathon [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I loved how he tucked in there heading out into the wind. Smart!!! It would be interesting to see how hard he took this. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a 95% effort.

His face says he was workin'

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jan 15, 18 8:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks from those being passed priceless. Perfect for meme "this is how you run, joggers"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done!

Its cool he wore a Slowtwitch singlet as well....
Quote Reply
Re: Butterfield runs open marathon [Fishman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishman wrote:
Its cool he wore a Slowtwitch singlet as well....

:-) noticed this too, was gonna post the same comment!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The marathon route is run over two loops of an approximately 13.1 mile course. This bit pictured here is a stretch up and down a city street to add some distance to the loop and it comes about 200 meters before the finish line. Now the lady on the right is running the half marathon - notice the HC prefix on her race number. That stands for the half challenge where a runner runs the mile on Friday night, the 10k on Saturday morning and the half marathon on Sunday morning.

So Tyler is about 200m from finishing his marathon and the lady and man are the same distance away from their half marathon finish line. I know Tyler is very much faster than these hobby runners, but that realization that someone has run a full marathon in the time you have done a half is no doubt adding to the shock they are experiencing as Tyler flies by them.

JasoninHalifax wrote:

His face says he was workin'

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little under 5:40/mile pace, that's pretty awesome and flying for a "bigger athlete".
Quote Reply
Re: Butterfield runs open marathon [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I often have wondered how fast the IM pros could run a stand alone 26.2, relative to their IM marathon times. I’m not sure how that breaks down for Tyler. For Mark Allen, he was a high 2:40s IM runner, correct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he did so well, but the black socks just ruin it
Quote Reply
Re: Butterfield runs open marathon [Sloggy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sloggy wrote:
he did so well, but the black socks just ruin it

At least they're not compression socks, so that's a positive.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Butterfield runs open marathon [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
I often have wondered how fast the IM pros could run a stand alone 26.2, relative to their IM marathon times. I’m not sure how that breaks down for Tyler. For Mark Allen, he was a high 2:40s IM runner, correct?

allen's run PB at kona was actually actually the course record for a long time - 2:40 flat. outside that i think it's fair to say he more a 'mid-2:40s' than a 'high-2:40s' runner.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Butterfield runs open marathon [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have remembered that about Allen. I read Iron War.

As a general rule, do you think pros run IM 26.2s about 10-15 minutes slower than their standalone marathon times?

I ask because I run mine at least 25 minutes slower, which I view as a reflection of how much the bike takes out of me.
Quote Reply
Re: Butterfield runs open marathon [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
mungub50 wrote:

2:38. also, was 4th in boston. but is he faster than his dad? i don't know. bear in mind, he was a professional cyclist for slipstream. (tyler). so here's a riddle i don't know the answer to: what is the fastest marathon ever run by a former professional cyclist previously on a grand tour cycling team?

Just FYI, he posted on facebook that his dad's PB was a 2:27 as well, so tied, not counting the seconds.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Butterfield runs open marathon [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
mungub50 wrote:

Probably Daniel Atienza. Rode for Cofidis in the early 2000, top 20 in the Giro. He ran a 2:29 in Zurich in 2013.

Other notable would be Jalabert who ran 2:45, Olano, just under 2:40. Rolf Aldag ran pretty fast too in the low 2:40s (for the big names of cycling).
Quote Reply