Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Broken Pelvis
Quote | Reply
I am currently recovering from a broken pelvis and am wondering if there is anyone else out there that suffered through the same injury?
Just wondering how and when you got back into trainning, im 6 weeks out from my accident at the moment and am just starting to walk on my own again, im getting ready to hit the pool next week and am figuring i wont be running for another couple months.
Any advice would be helpfull!
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Pelvis [TheresaN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A teammate of mine is recovering from the same thing from this summer. Slow calcification held him back to no wight bearing until 8 weeks. It has been about 16 weeks now and his stride and pedal stroke are evening out between the two legs. I wouldn't call what he is doing really "training", because there is no real intensity. It is mostly easy base fitness at this point.

Good luck with the recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just had one on August 21st, but I'm back to going full-throttle in the pool already, have spent a couple of weeks going full throttle on the stationary bike and elliptical, and can even do a brisk jog for a couple of miles. On the other hand, I never touched the crutches after the second week, so mine was probably lighter than yours.

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. -Enzo Ferrari
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Pelvis [Bah Humbug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the help and advice!
Looks like Ill be getting back in the pool this weekend!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what happened, anyway?

BTW, welcome to ST.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fractured pelvis and acetabulum (hip socket) on Sept. 19, 2009. Crutches for 8-9 wks, therapy and I was back to running and riding by Feb. 1. Did a Sprint in May 2010 and my first Olympic in June.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't break my pelvis but I did fracture my inferior pubus ramus and tore my hamstring (this is where the hamstring attaches I think). Some of the steps to recovery and rehab are similar though in that there is no to little weight bearing etc.

I was on crutches for 6-8 weeks (can't recall), then I walked with a cane for awhile. Major benefit there was people actually gave up their seat for me on the train! I think seeing a young person with a cain is a bit unsettling. After that it was a fair amount of PT. I had a fair amount of trepidation getting into things where strong hips are required like racing cyclocross (I did for one season after the injury and then gave it up because I'm also just not good at it). After awhile you will trust your body again and the trepidation goes away somewhat.

Anyways - - I was able to get back in the pool pretty quickly but for that injury there is no weight bearing and no alternate leg movements - - so the bike was out as was kicking in the pool (a lot of pulling with a pull buoy). As soon as I could do the alternate leg stuff I was aquajogging - - boring as heck but it's good exercise.

I wish you a speedy recovery!
Last edited by: Reservoir Cat: Oct 8, 10 12:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife broke hers in a bike accident a couple of years ago. Her accident was in August and by the next summer the physical damage was gone. I think it took around 2 months before she started swimming and within 3 months she was riding on a trainer. Running took much longer, maybe 6-8 months but part of it was just being scared of doing more damage than good. Advice from the Drs regarding activity was all over the place so she took the cautious route to be safe.

It was a scary injury to go through for both of us and watching her struggle to get around was tough, but in the end she came out fine. Hang in there and good luck with the recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am currently recovering from a broken pelvis and am wondering if there is anyone else out there that suffered through the same injury?
Just wondering how and when you got back into trainning, im 6 weeks out from my accident at the moment and am just starting to walk on my own again, im getting ready to hit the pool next week and am figuring i wont be running for another couple months.
Any advice would be helpfull!

My wife went down in the Athens Twilight crit about 12 years ago now...broken pelvis in 3 places...She was back on the bike moderately in 3-4 months...

In the subsequent years, she has cycled, run and swum (swam?)...as well as had 2 kids...and, last weekend, finished 13th at sprint nationals in Tuscaloosa...

She has suffered some on and off lower back issues that may have been brought on by the injury...and she can't find a seat that is remotely comfortable (although she still goes like a train!)

Be cautious, follow doctors recommendations, do your PT and be patient...
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Pelvis [jager66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What happened to you? I broke my pelvis a few years back. I was in a wheelchair for 3 months and then 6 weeks on crutches with strict non-weight bearing. How are all of you getting back to training so fast? It took me a good 3 weeks after that to start getting into exercise again. So depending on your situation, yes. I know exactly how you feel and how bad it sucks waking up to a nice 65 degree clear morning and wanting to ride or run...

Quote | Reply
 I shattered my pelvis 10 years ago in a bike accident - 26 screws and they put me back together. I was swimming and aqua jogging in 3 weeks, cycling (spinning on the trainer) in 6 weeks (as soon as I got off crutches) and running in 12 weeks. I did a bike TT 12 weeks out and had a full race season, including my first marathon, the following year. To stay in shape, I just asked the ortho doc what I should not do and did everything else in the way of exercise (primarily weights, floor exercises, swimming & aqua jogging) so I would not lose all of my fitness.

Other than a constant stiffness feeling in that area, no major repercussions. Since then I have done 4 IM's and many tris, cycling and running races.

Good luck in your recovery.

Dean Wilson
www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Pelvis [isbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Theresa, what fractures do you have? Pelvic fractures can be slow to heal, so if you can get a bone stimulator that will help. also vitamen D, 4000 units a day.

When you get back depends on where the fractures are, and how the healing progresses.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Pelvis [triFP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I broke the top part of the ischium, and fractured the bottom of it on the right side.
I did this dirt biking, so ive decided to stick to my tri bike and away from the motorized bikes!

I started walking cane free yesterday and I havent had any pain or discomfort just loss of muscle so i feel a little lopsided.
I got xrays back and everything is looking good and healing really well, thanks everyone for helping me out on this one.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Pelvis [Reservoir Cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good morning and its been a long time since you posted here. I broke my inferior pubus ramus as well on the left side in a bike accident about 3 weeks ago. I used a crutch or cane for the first 2 weeks then have been walking slowly now with them. I actually just started PT in the 3rd week with light stretching and core work.

If you don't mind I have a question for you since you had a break just where I've had one. Its only been 3 weeks and will probably take 6/8 for the bone fully to heal but I hear a clicking noise right in the area of the break when making a cycling motion. Did you ever experience this? If so did it ever go away? In addition, I am noticing some numness in my feet. Did you and did it go away.

Any information you share with me would be appreciated. Thank you Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Pelvis [dvisoky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I broke my pelvis 3 years back and was on crutches for 12 weeks. I didnt really start riding until around the 6month mark. and even then I could only handle 10-15mile rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good morning and its been a long time since you posted here. I broke my inferior pubus ramus as well on the left side in a bike accident about 3 weeks ago. I used a crutch or cane for the first 2 weeks then have been walking slowly now with them. I actually just started PT in the 3rd week with light stretching and core work.

If you don't mind I have a question for you since you had a break just where I've had one. Its only been 3 weeks and will probably take 6/8 for the bone fully to heal but I hear a clicking noise right in the area of the break when making a cycling motion. Did you ever experience this? If so did it ever go away? In addition, I am noticing some numness in my feet. Did you and did it go away.

Any information you share with me would be appreciated. Thank you Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop biking! At least when I went through this I was told no alternating hip movement---no biking, no kicking in the pool etc. when I started walking again I had to wear an SI belt. You need to keep the weight off---You CAN do things where the hip movement is as a unit--like rowing. How are your hamstrings? Mine wasnearly torn as a result ofmy injury. Be careful and see a sports-oriented orthopod if you can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no pain at all except I need to walk slowly and not too long. My hamstrings are fine and no pain or tightness at all. I haven't been on a bike but I just started PT 3 weeks in. One of the excerises is for the core where you lie on your back and extend your legs one at a time like a biking motion. I hear a clicking noise were the broken bone would be and later on in the day my feet felt numb like in the beginning. There is no other pain. I also did some stupid exercising in the first couple of weeks.

At no time did the Emergency room doctor, the Ortho doctor or the PT guy tell me to keep the weight off. Just to take it really easy so I walking on it and didn't need a cane or a crutch after the 2nd week. I am hope that was the right thing to do but now I am concerned 3 weeks in

I am just wondering if you felt any numbness in your feet and if you ever heard/felt that clicking noise. I assume that I hear/feel the noise because the bone is not healing well and that is causing the numbness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fractured my accetabulum in June 2012 after coming off my bike at very low speed in a ford / water splash. I've started a Facebook page for broken pelvis cyclists to share their experiences in getting back in the saddle. Search FB for broken pelvis cyclists. This was only done as the amount of info on the web about this injury is very limited. By the way - it took me a year to fell confident back on my bike!
Quote Reply