Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Broken Ankle
Quote | Reply
Fooling around with some friends on the weekend, I broke my ankle. So what, I'm still alive.

However, I don't go to the orthopedist until Thursday, and am wondering how long is the average healing time? I'd like to be able to be back to easy spinning and maybe even gentle xc skiing by Janurary, just to be fit for next season.

So all of you who have broken an ankle, what was your healing time, and when were you allowed to excercise again?
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Ankle [TriathlonKid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain! Broke mine a few years ago running... stepping into a pot hole the wrong way. I broke it in April of that year and had to wear a boot on it with no pressure and crutches for about two months. I was lucky not to need a cast as the bone didnt shift so that helped recovery. Once I could put weight on it it took a few more months of PT to get the muscles back to strength. I was running again by mid July.

Good luck with recovery and the only advice I have is to not push it too much to risk a complication.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will get a huge range of heal times depending on...everything.
I had a hairline crack on the tibula and a the whole tip of the fibula broke off. The doc was much more worried about the crack. I was in a cast for 3 months and in a walking cast for 2 more.

Spinning will be impossible if your ankle is immobilized. I wasn't running or cycling back then, but did go skiing the week after getting the cast off. I figured the ski boot (downhill) was as much support as the walking cast.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everybody. The official diagnosis is There is a minimally displaced fracture though the distal left fibular epiphysis with extension into the growth plate. So it did shift, but I head to the orthopedist Thursday so well see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriathlonKid wrote:
Thanks everybody. The official diagnosis is There is a minimally displaced fracture though the distal left fibular epiphysis with extension into the growth plate. So it did shift, but I head to the orthopedist Thursday so well see.

I'm sure your ortho is on top of it, but heed his instructions. Since you reference the growth plate, I presume that you haven't finished growing, so you don't want the break to affect anything. Take it careful, plenty of time to get back in shape after full healing.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Ankle [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks john. Regarding the growth plate, it's probably true that I'm still growing, I just turned 15 a month ago. An this is actually probably the best time to have broken it. Forces a little needed off season rest, etc. thanks though.
Quote Reply