Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bringing dog to (runnning) track
Quote | Reply
Just my opinion: dogs don't belong on running tracks. Dogs do not understand that you run in a lane, you don't move from lane to lane especially when someone is coming up from behind. If you run in lane 8 and hold the leash in your right hand I'll allow it. Otherwise, nah, leave your dog at home if you want to go to a track. And while we're on the subject, leave your 4 year old at home too for the same reasons!

Convince me I am wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Bringing dog to (runnning) track [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct. And e-bikes, scooters etc, do not belong on sidewalks

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are absolutely wrong. We had a track we could go to where we would be all alone, just me and 3 kids. We would do interval workouts and it was great because we could all stay more or less together. My doberman would run beside me for the rest periods. When the interval started, she would take off at full speed towards the kids. She loved to take the kids out at the knees then she would come back and run with me for for the rest period. When the next interval came, she would take off for the kids again.

We would all laugh at each kids differing response. Sometimes they would try to run faster (it never worked). Other times they would try to evade. Sometimes they would trip themselves while trying to escape. I do admit that all the laughter was not conducive to the best interval sessions, but it was worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Bringing dog to (runnning) track [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomljones3 wrote:
You are absolutely wrong. We had a track we could go to where we would be all alone, just me and 3 kids. We would do interval workouts and it was great because we could all stay more or less together. My doberman would run beside me for the rest periods. When the interval started, she would take off at full speed towards the kids. She loved to take the kids out at the knees then she would come back and run with me for for the rest period. When the next interval came, she would take off for the kids again.

We would all laugh at each kids differing response. Sometimes they would try to run faster (it never worked). Other times they would try to evade. Sometimes they would trip themselves while trying to escape. I do admit that all the laughter was not conducive to the best interval sessions, but it was worth it.

That one descriptor is doing a lot of heavy lifting and is the sole justification for your actions. But the specific context of you and your immediate family being the only users means that your post is irrelevant for being not germane to the context presented in the original post.

The original post isn't concerned with situations like yours, but is concerned with when runners from different households have to share a track. In which case, the OP is in the right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The law pretty much everywhere in this country is dogs are not to be off leash in public outside of a fenced dog park, so couldn't agree more.

The narrative of the owner thinking their dog is well behaved and the exception to the rule is so short sighted and narcissistic.

This coming from someone who has 2 and prefers them 1,000,000,000 to 1 over people.

Oh, and stop taking your children to breweries like it's different than sitting in a bar with them....nothing like getting a half a jag on and then driving your kids home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Just my opinion: dogs don't belong on running tracks.

Convince me I am wrong.

I take my cat to the track and we sometimes do up to 3 lapsx400m after my main set; he's on a leash and I keep him in lane 8 or outside lane 8, no cutting into lane 7, however pace goes up and down a bit. Imho that's ok it's mostly slow warm up and on off runners, no way would I be lane 1-4, and I'm highly aware of the leash which no one can see. He has outrun everyone for a 100m sprint when he freaked out one time after pulling the leash out of my hand chasing birds, usain bolt type pace - that's a good reason not to allow pets on the track I guess.

We have a few ppl on the track with dogs and as long as they are well controlled on leash no issues. Better than walking granddads, kids on phones, net idols taking pics and ppl running intervals with random start stop points. Etiquette kind of sucks but I see same things at drink stations in the race and at end of day I'm slow enough it doesn't matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't care what people do at the track for the most part... dogs, kids, some old guy riding his bike... whatever. If something odd is going on and my workout is impacted, I'll discuss it with them and it tends to not be an issue. Most people are reasonable.

A track is a shared space, learn how to work with those that also want to use it. Just my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Also do not bring dogs to cross country, sidelines of soccer, etc. We always announce this, but unfortunately those who disregard it are also the worst of dog people who can’t/won’t control the animal and then blame everyone else for the dog’s behavior because they “never behave like this”.
Quote Reply
Re: Bringing dog to (runnning) track [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
A track is a shared space, learn how to work with those that also want to use it. Just my opinion.

I have never lived in an area where the fast majority of tracks are affiliated with a school and I have no doubt they have signs posted, No Dogs, No Bikes. Not for public use when students are present.........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dogs don't belong in any public place.
Quote Reply
Re: Bringing dog to (runnning) track [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cdw wrote:

So no one should be allowed to walk their dog?

What kind of dystopian society is it where people can take guns out in public but not puppies?
Quote Reply
Re: Bringing dog to (runnning) track [bulldog15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bulldog15 wrote:
I have never lived in an area where the fast majority of tracks are affiliated with a school and I have no doubt they have signs posted, No Dogs, No Bikes. Not for public use when students are present.........

Around here (US), the tracks affiliated with public schools are given little consideration and just something that happens to be installed around the football field. Often there are no such signs posted, and it is not unusual to see soccer goals, benches, football tackling sleds, and other equipment literally sitting on top of the track surface, dragged across it, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Bringing dog to (runnning) track [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cdw wrote:

I'd suggest that many people shouldn't be allowed in public spaces. Most dogs are preferable to most people.

And at least a dog isn't going to randomly shoot a couple of dozen people with an automatic weapon of war just because they didn't get laid or got a poor grade or got sacked or their other half found a better shag partner.
Quote Reply
Re: Bringing dog to (runnning) track [Hired Gun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always find it interesting how dramatically significantly different counties/states treat their tracks. In Washington State most tracks are associated with middle/high schools, are open to the public outside of school hours, and have all of the "no pets" "no fireworks" etc. signs posted.

In Oregon it was always a pain to find a public access track and most are associated with a college, either a JuCo. Nearly every high school track is closed and locked for those not affiliated with the school.

Regarding dogs; if there are other people around: no dogs. If you're the only one (and you can expect to REMAIN the only one): I don't care if you bring your dog/toddler/grandpa. Just clean up after them when you're done.
Quote Reply
Re: Bringing dog to (runnning) track [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps I've been a little soured by my most recent place of residence where I was regularly menaced by dogs of all shapes and sizes. It got to the point where I ran with a stick ever single time I left the house.
I had two woman chase me down in their car after I kicked both of their rat-dogs that had chased me down the street way off of their property. They acted like I had committed some crime.
I had one woman who walked her big-A german shepard in my neighborhood an it was never on a lease and it was very agressive. She had zero control over it and never once did she say a word to me or the dog when it started chasing me.
My neighbors regularly allowed their dogs to run through our yard after the dogs had destroyed our mutual fence. Once, when on vacation, our friend entered our house to find the neighbors dogs upstairs on my daughters bed because she had left the door cracked to allow our cat access to the house.

My experience has been that dog owners do not understand that non-dog lovers do not like dogs. I despise everything about dogs or about dog owners, however you want to look at it.
Now, I'm sure you are a probably a responsible dog owner who walks his dog or dogs on a lease and keeps them away from other humans who want to have absolutely zero interaction with your animals, but if you are, then you are the exception, in my experience.
Quote Reply