Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bring On The Snow!!!
Quote | Reply
first forecast of the season with some accumulating snow--maybe an inch or two in the next 24 hours or so. not cold enough to stick around yet but it is a start. i'm ready to leave footprints behind for a couple months.

just another reason why Michigan is a great place to train and race. we get just about everything. sometime in extremes. training through it makes it easier on race day.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Bring On The Snow!!! [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so are you up for snow action of the skiing and snowboarding kind? or are you training in the snow? I recently ran a fun comp that was downhill and partly thru snow - new experience! Cold too :)
Last edited by: Chonnie: Nov 15, 05 14:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Send it East . The lake is ready to do it's thing. Big Big snow year I hope

Thom.
Quote Reply
Re: Bring On The Snow!!! [Chonnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no boarding but i will resume cross country skiing this winter.

mainly just heading out for long runs. there is a whole different atmosphere with winter runs, especially in the rural settings. quieter and more relaxed.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, I quite liked cold frosty mornings, with foggy breath and reddish nose, running in gloves etc... I started the snowboarding season by running in the morning before hitting the slopes, that lasted till I got a half marathon goal out of the way, then for the rest of the season it was purley snowboarding and beer! ahhhhh good times... back into it now for summer. Running in the humidity is not so pleasant ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you ever run around on a snow mobile?

my good friend Kyle is an artic snow mobile fanatic. we're hoping to go on a trip with him this winter to see what the fuss is about. he says snow mobiling is a way to stay in great shape and is tons of fun. me, i'm just interested in the pubs along the routes. HAHA!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We got dumped on over the last two days, about 6 inches. Just me and a sissy biker on a girls ten speed out at 6:30 this morning. Both of us fighting the plows and the early traffic. Avoided the snow snakes, ankle sprains & dreaded frozen nasal drip.

Winter is officially here, enjoy!

Rick.
Quote Reply
Re: Bring On The Snow!!! [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm not sure international spys would fully appreciate the essence of a snowmobile. no armament to speak of and most of 'em don't fly or take to submerging very well. outside of that it is fun unless you are out at night and happen across a single strand of fence wire that was put up at the wrong height.

as for fitness value...maybe sort of but its a stretch.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually really like winter as long as there is lots of fresh clean snow. There's nothing like skiing be it x-country or downhill. It's those freezing rain, milder winters that we distain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nooooooooooooo! I did my first trainer ride today in a looooong time. I'm not looking forward to the winter. I have decided, though, to not do any trainer rides longer than 2 hours (or as long as a movie takes). I'm not going to punish myself like that. I'm getting some snow shoes and hope to do some nice running outdoors. Also, I just installed some full fenders on my cyclocross bike- hopefully that puts me outside more often this winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here ya go:) This is yesterday in Winter Park
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here in SoCal, it was in the low 80's with blazing sun both yesterday and today, and that's here at the beach. 90's in the inland valleys! Went for a good 1.5 hour mountain bike sesh and a 1 hour hike with the wife. Sorry...don't mean to gloat. I moved here from Maryland 18 years ago to escape cold winters, so I know what it's like!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bring On The Snow!!! [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yippeeeeee. I am having snow withdrawl... it's only been 3 weeks since I last went boarding... the beach is not quite hot enough yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know, I really like XC skiing (plan to do another 2000-2500K season), but I can wait till Dec 1st. I hate it when we get snow early here in Ottawa. All that ends up happening is that it messes things up enough to make it miserable/impossible for biking to work or running on the trails near my home, while at the same time, offering insufficient coverage for any XC skiing.

Some of the guys were up XC skiing in Gatineau Park north of the city at lunch today. Unfortunately, it is a 35 min drive from my office at best, so not viable over lunch hour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fuck you asshole!!!!!!!!!!!!! SNOW SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Bring On The Snow!!! [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no gloat taken. as long as you like what you've got to work with.

i still feed off the changes and the extremes. guess that might change when i grow up.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bring On The Snow!!! [jethropup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there might be something available for that condition...

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could take some cold now. We broke the all time record here in Santa Rosa (Vineman Country) with a high of 79F. Damn I wish I could play hookie and go to the beach!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday on Vail Pass. Did some snowmobiling and backcountry skiing... GREAT DAY!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's the beauty of SoCal. You can drive a couple hours and it's mid-winter. In the local mountains, there's snow on the ground much of the winter, and up in the Sierra, 5 1/2 hours drive, there's REAL snow much of the winter, in fact last year, they got over 600 inches from October-May. So, when I miss the change of seasons, I just hop in the car with the snowboard and I'm there.

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don't think you were supposed to offer up that information.

much as i like the training environment around here, you just got me wondering.

but you can't have the race choices there, that we have.....or...?

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds so nice . So CA. but you got all those cars !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have about 2" and it is snowing now. The higher elevation xc ski trails should open this week. They did not open until mid-December last year, so we are looking for a long ski season. There are 200k of groomed ski trails when the entire system is open.

I did about 10k of snow shoe running on the closed mt. pass hwy on Sunday. It was a perfect day with about 6-8" of fresh snow, sunshine and nice views.

Dean Wilson
www.anaerobiczone.com

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race choices? This is Southern California, the birthplace of triathlon (subject to debate). There are tris virtually every weekend during the season, and some sort of race year 'round (bike race, century ride, 5k/10k, marathon, duathlon, ocean swim, etc.). Plus, we have two MDOT races (both 70.3's), and several USAT, and some independent races. Vegas is 4 hours drive away, Mexico is 1 hour away, the local mountains are less than 2 hours away, and the desert is 1 hour. There are cars if you're in the urban areas, but there are plenty of spots away from the cars if you know where to go. I have a 60-mile bike route that never crosses traffic right here in the heart of Orange County (halfway between LA and SD). Granted it's not the most scenic route, but it's a Class I bike trail. If you're into mtn biking, the choices are virtually endless and very scenic!
What the hell? Am I working for the chamber of commerce? Sorry...I sounded like I was there. Anyway Jim, if you can avoid the freeways during rush hour, this is a pretty nice place to live!

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Bring On The Snow!!! [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you ever noticed that the typical snowmobiler closely resembles the typical Harley rider - overweight middle-aged male? In other words, not much fitness activity going on.

I have a pact with my snowmobiling friends - I promise not to stab them with my xc ski pole if they stay off the ski trails. Thank goodness, we have enough trails for both here so it has not been an issue so far.

Dean Wilson
www.anaerobiczone.com

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply

Prev Next