Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Brief IMAZ Recap: 8:52.
Quote | Reply
Since there was a dedicated thread to the M35-39 field at IMAZ, I thought I'd drop a mini report in here just to give you guys an idea of my recent training and how the race went down. This past racing season has been just that...lots of racing for me: 13 tris in total since the beginning of April: 5 sprints, 5 Oly, 2 1/2IM and IMAZ. On top of that, I ran Chicago Marathon last month.

Swim: 1:02 (went low 58 here two years ago). Volume wasn't particularly high, with an average week of about 7500y in the 2 months preceding the race. Put in one bigger week of 15K one week out from the race.

Bike: 4:45 on 213AP/218NP. 170lbs. Pix here: http://www.finisherpix.com/...a-2014/pbib/842.html (you'll notice some of the side angle shots aren't actually me...I accidentally claimed some without looking at the full pic...lots of us out there with the P-09 and Octane!). I was riding the Scott Plasma with wheel cover. #842

Rode pretty even from lap to lap, but allowed the power to drop a few watts on the return trip of the third lap compared to the first two laps. Fueled with ~900 cals of UCAN during the ride. Averaged about 4-5hrs a week on the bike throughout the summer, and did a 3-week build after the marathon averaging 9-1/2 hrs a week just to try to wake the IM legs up a bit.

Run: 3:00. Negative split by 20-30secs or so for the second half, most of which came in the last 2 miles. I like to mix 3-4 GU & water and carry it in flasks in my jersey pockets on the run. I take a sip every mile throughout the race and go through about 3 flasks by the time it's all said and done.

Had a good 8-week stretch in the spring when I was able to average 40 miles a week. But only went over 30MPW nine times since the beginning of May.

So I went into this race pretty undercooked from a training perspective and just tried to go off of experience (this was my 9th IM since 2008). Seemed to work. :)

Here's my Garmin 910XT file...I started the watch about 5 minutes early and the bike watts do not include zeroes, which is why the numbers here are different than what I stated above: http://connect.garmin.com/...n/activity/635094869

This race/season was more about having fun and not being stressed about the training nor the outcome (I had no intention/desire for Kona heading in, and turned down my slot). I have been more focused on coaching and spending time with my wife and 3-year old son than my training or race results. I'm certainly happy to answer any questions about more of the specifics of the race, the prep, my season, etc.

Last edited by: darkhorsetri: Nov 20, 14 9:22
Quote Reply
Re: Brief IMAZ Recap: 8:52. [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ridiculously impressive that you can go that fast on that little training. Nice race

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really cool to read - your bike position is awesome. For the run - is that 3-4 GU total, or is that 3-4 in each of the 3 flasks you take on the marathon?

My Website || Twitter || Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not very easy to see from the tiny finisher pics, but what was your hydration/nutrition and flatkit setup? I see an aero bottle on the downtube but not much else, very clean. Also, you ran GP4000s II, 23 or 25mm? Congrats on your race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was the lower run volume after spring by choice or injury? Did you change intensity much on the run when volume was down? X2 for the great looking position on the bike and what looked like very evenly paced effort on the bike. Congrats on a great result.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fantastic result Steve and it was great to be a part of this highly contested race!

I agree your bike position is really good, and 4:45 is phenomenal on 218 NP... I'm very sure the other contenders were a lot more power for a similar time. I'm also impressed that you put this out so close to Chicago... I was secretly hoping you had fried your legs over there ;-)

Do you have some type of benchmark in your run training, that lines up to a race pace of around 6:50 / mile?

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats! Metronomic like performance with regard to bike watts, cadence and run pace.

huge.

Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How'd you logistically deal with the UCAN? A concentrated bottle or multiple bottles?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's pretty incredible. I think I saw you a few times on the bike before some of your turnarounds. Very nice bike position. What was your TSS? Congrats.
Quote Reply
Re: Brief IMAZ Recap: 8:52. [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the congrats. Definitely my best IM performance even though I was secretly hoping to run sub-3. I've been 9:03 twice and to go 8:52 put me over the moon.

mdub wrote:
For the run - is that 3-4 GU total, or is that 3-4 in each of the 3 flasks you take on the marathon?

3-4 each of the 3 flasks.

snaaijert wrote:
what was your hydration/nutrition and flatkit setup? I see an aero bottle on the downtube but not much else, very clean. Also, you ran GP4000s II, 23 or 25mm?

Had a flat kit in an XLab Stealth Pocket 100 on the top tube. Hydration setup was a Torhans Aero 30, Bontrager Speed Bottle on the downtube (had a second in SN that I switched out on the 2nd lap) and a standard bottle on the seat tube that I never touched. Grabbed a big swig of water from almost every aid station. The tires were 23mm.

ianbal wrote:
Was the lower run volume after spring by choice or injury? Did you change intensity much on the run when volume was down?

Was more with just the way things worked out with my schedule...so by choice/necessity for the most part during the season. But when prepping for Chicago, my long runs took a lot out of me and I would sometimes go three days without running and that really cut into the volume and frequency. I tried to do one hard interval day per week on the run throughout the season, regardless of volume.

robgray wrote:
Do you have some type of benchmark in your run training, that lines up to a race pace of around 6:50 / mile?

Not really. I actually ran the exact same run time at IMAZ two years ago and I knew that's what I had in me if I biked within my fitness based on some of my Chicago training runs.

logella wrote:
How'd you logistically deal with the UCAN? A concentrated bottle or multiple bottles?

Multiple bottles. I had three packets (130 cals each packet) in the Torhans, and two in each of the two Bontrager bottles and finished them all off.

3Aims wrote:
What was your TSS?

TSS: 183. I know that's pretty f-ing low. But going into the race, I had very low bike volume/hours/miles/TSS compared to a) most athletes and b) my past IM prep/builds. So I kept it very conservative and knew what I should be riding based on the 3-4 4+ hour training rides that I did during my brief build. I wanted to come off the bike feeling confident that I could run what I wanted to run....and I did just that.

I've also done a lot of self tinkering with my position and front-end equipment. I've been fit professionally several times in the last few years, but what ended up being the fastest and most comfortable was done with my own fooling around in my basement.

Quote | Reply
Crazy. So what is that, like, 55-60% of FTP?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
darkhorsetri wrote:
Since there was a dedicated thread to the M35-39 field at IMAZ, I thought I'd drop a mini report in here just to give you guys an idea of my recent training and how the race went down. This past racing season has been just that...lots of racing for me: 13 tris in total since the beginning of April: 5 sprints, 5 Oly, 2 1/2IM and IMAZ, On top of that, I ran Chicago Marathon last month.

Swim: 1:02 (went low 58 here two years ago). Volume wasn't particularly high, with an average week of about 7500y in the 2 months preceding the race. Put in one bigger week of 15K one week out from the race.

Bike: 4:45 on 213AP/218NP. 170lbs. Pix here: http://www.finisherpix.com/...a-2014/pbib/842.html

Rode pretty even from lap to lap, but allowed the power to drop a few watts on the return trip of the third lap compared to the first two laps. Fueled with ~900 cals of UCAN during the ride. Averaged about 4-5hrs a week on the bike throughout the summer, and did a 3-week build after the marathon averaging 9-1/2 hrs a week just to try to wake the IM legs up a bit.

Run: 3:00. Negative split by 20-30secs or so for the second half, most of which came in the last 2 miles. I like to mix 3-4 GU & water and carry it in flasks in my jersey pockets on the run. I take a sip every mile throughout the race and go through about 3 flasks by the time it's all said and done.

Had a good 8-week stretch in the spring when I was able to average 40 miles a week. But only went over 30MPW nine times since the beginning of May.

So I went into this race pretty undercooked from a training perspective and just tried to go off of experience (this was my 9th IM since 2008). Seemed to work. :)

Here's my Garmin 910XT file...I started the watch about 5 minutes early and the bike watts do not include zeroes, which is why the numbers here are different than what I stated above: http://connect.garmin.com/...n/activity/635094869

This race/season was more about having fun and not being stressed about the training nor the outcome (I had no intention/desire for Kona heading in, and turned down my slot). I have been more focused on coaching and spending time with my wife and 3-year old son than my training or race results. I'm certainly happy to answer any questions about more of the specifics of the race, the prep, my season, etc.

Congrats on a great race and the bold above.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool! Congrats on a blazing fast result!

Question about those GU flasks - which flasks did you use? I tried it a few times with them stuffed in my tri top pockets and the flasks banging on my back annoyed the shit out of me. Did you run with some sort of a belt - I can't quite tell from your run pics?

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Brief IMAZ Recap: 8:52. [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
Crazy. So what is that, like, 55-60% of FTP?

More like 63-64.

Re: Brief IMAZ Recap: 8:52. [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Very cool! Congrats on a blazing fast result!

Question about those GU flasks - which flasks did you use? I tried it a few times with them stuffed in my tri top pockets and the flasks banging on my back annoyed the shit out of me. Did you run with some sort of a belt - I can't quite tell from your run pics?

I used a combination of the larger Fuel Belt bottles (I think hold 7oz?) and slender Hammer bottle (5oz). My jersey has pockets on the side and not the back, so they're more easily accessible and don't bounce around much at all.

Quote | Reply
What was your bike volume like and what were some of your key bike workouts that allowed you to pull off a ~4:45?
Quote Reply
Re: Brief IMAZ Recap: 8:52. [Tan_42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tan_42 wrote:
What was your bike volume like and what were some of your key bike workouts that allowed you to pull off a ~4:45?

Here's a graph of daily bike volume from the beginning of August. Three of the four rides under 40 minutes were sprint races. There are also two Olympic distance races and one 1/2 IM represented here. The gap in the beginning of October was right before Chicago Marathon. Once I got back from that race, I crept up my volume and frequency to try to prep for IMAZ.

I would say that my position and my history of racing over the last several years helped me ride 4:45, and not any key workouts. I wasn't crushing myself during any of my training rides...just trying to get some race specific miles in in addition to some tempo & sub threshold work to get my legs in a position to be able to run well of the bike on minimal watts.

Quote | Reply
Here's a pic of my bike post-race. Imagine a Bontrager Speed Bottle on the down tube and a standard bottle on the seat tube...that's how it was throughout the race. Also imagine the bike without the seat condom on it. I also removed the straw from the Torhans after the race. I use a spare Camelback straw and loop it through the red zip tie that you can see on the bar tape of the left bar extension...it kind of forms an S shape coming out of the bottle up to my hands. I can't get the Torhans any closer to the head tube. EricM40-44 suggested filling that area in with some custom shaped foam to save a few more watts.

Quote | Reply
in regards to clothing: octane suit in the swim and bike did you wear run clothes under them or totally change all your clothes going into the run?
in regards to bike fit: great position, who helped you achieve it?

thanks and great race.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Brief IMAZ Recap: 8:52. [nebeachbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nebeachbum wrote:
in regards to clothing: octane suit in the swim and bike did you wear run clothes under them or totally change all your clothes going into the run?

thanks and great race.

Complete change in T2. Warned the guys in the tent that were helping that I was about to get naked. Was still able to manage a 94 second T2.

WRT to the fit...I did almost all of it myself. I just never felt quite right with what I got out of a few Retul fits and ended up tinkering with the final details of the front end (bars, pads, extensions) on my own until I felt comfortable...and aero.

Quote | Reply
follow up question: with octane do you roll it down during the swim or leave it over your shoulders?
Man those are great power numbers for that speed, amazed by that.

thanks

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Brief IMAZ Recap: 8:52. [nebeachbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nebeachbum wrote:
follow up question: with octane do you roll it down during the swim or leave it over your shoulders?
Man those are great power numbers for that speed, amazed by that.

thanks

I leave it all the way up in the swim. I wear a small in that suit at 6'0" and 170lbs and still have some wrinkling in the arms.

Last edited by: darkhorsetri: Nov 19, 14 21:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
darkhorsetri wrote:
nebeachbum wrote:

thanks and great race.

Complete change in T2. Warned the guys in the tent that were helping that I was about to get naked. Was still able to manage a 94 second T2.

WRT to the fit...I did almost all of it myself. I just never felt quite right with what I got out of a few Retul fits and ended up tinkering with the final details of the front end (bars, pads, extensions) on my own until I felt comfortable...and aero.

Amazing race especially against that AG. You say "felt aero". Did you test it at all?
Quote Reply
Re: Brief IMAZ Recap: 8:52. [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tucktri wrote:
darkhorsetri wrote:
nebeachbum wrote:

thanks and great race.

Amazing race especially against that AG. You say "felt aero". Did you test it at all?

I should rephrase. I was primarily looking for comfort. After Kona last year, I had some major comfort issues and wanted more than anything to remedy that. The things I was toying with were taken from various posts on this forum and resulted in a fit that was more comfy and coincidentally, more aero. I didn't do any formal testing. However, I raced nearly every weekend from the middle of May to the end of June this year. I was regularly able to race against some guys that I could compare myself to with regard to power and times. I found that I was improving with regard to the watts I was putting out compared to guys that I've been racing against for the past few years. So my testing ground was local races and having current and historical data from other dudes I was racing against. I was improving my comparative times on the same (or less) watts than they were.

Last edited by: darkhorsetri: Nov 19, 14 22:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the pic Steve. What was your thinking behind a standard bottle on the seat tube instead of another aero one? So that you could accept on course bottles and put them in there? You did already have the torhans which you presumably used to dump water into.
Quote Reply

Prev Next