Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Brick workouts - What to do with Bike?
Quote | Reply
I've getting pretty creative with how I store my bike during brick workouts. For those who do not leave their bikes at home. What are some things you've done to store your bike? Lock it on the car rack?
Quote Reply
Re: Brick workouts - What to do with Bike? [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't do that many brick workouts but when I did have to do them away from home, I just locked it on the car rack and hope no one try to take it. So far, I have been lucky.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep mine in the trainer in my basement. If it's gone, I'm pretty sure my wife is the thief. My daughter doesn't have the strength to get it up the stairs.
Last edited by: DJRed: May 28, 15 7:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
;-)

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take the front wheel off and lay it in the back of my car. Cover with blanket so it's a bit less conspicuous. My windows are a little tinted so I think that helps too. I have a Jeep Cherokee so it's pretty easy (even easier in my old Outback)!

Powered by Dalzell Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My sister and I have been training for an Oly distance which has separate transitions. So we stop at T2 and park my Element then load my bike into her RAV4. Two bikes fit with front wheels off. We drive to T1, and set off. At T2, the Element can quickly take the bikes without removing wheels. The run finishes back at T1.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hwangnyc wrote:
I've getting pretty creative with how I store my bike during brick workouts. For those who do not leave their bikes at home. What are some things you've done to store your bike? Lock it on the car rack?

I mostly do the bike on the trainer before running. Can leave shoes next to it and you're off running immediately. (e.g. 1hour interval hard bike session + 15 hard run). It's very time-efficient.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put mine in the back seat of my car, don't even take the front wheel off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
now that's a good question...

I've done these three things over time.

1) Found a place out of sight of any traffic/houses (I used to use a "never" used county property w/100' gravel driveway) and set up a "T2" - did my ride came in and ran mile repeats on the nearby road/sidewalk. Left the bike there, but trusted that no one would ever be there - never a problem).

2) Bring racing flats (in jersey pockets) with shorts, did my hard ride, stopped at a local HS track. Changed in bathroom or porta potty (into running shorts/shoes), ran in jersey. Did track workout as transition run. Basically, never out of sight of the bike.

3) Ride from home and use home as my T2, treat the ~1mile jog to the HS track as my "get my legs back time" then do the track w/o.

as far as a true(est) race simulation goes: #'1 and 2 are best because I could ride "hot" into transition - no stoplights and stop signs. Riding home I have a few stoplights in the last few minutes that give me an artificial recovery; unless the lights are all green - which never happens.

[not exactly part of your question, but] As you can see, my philosophy is not only to simulate running off the bike, but, to simulate running fast off the bike. "how can you expect to do something in a race if you haven't practiced it?"

To be fair - one has to be careful to avoid overtraining/injuries (but, that applies to any training).

Also note: I haven't done a transition w/o in 2 or 3 years, because once you've got the requisite technique and confidence that your legs "will come back to you" you don't need them anymore - (sorry, BTB, but I'm FOP in my AG if that adds any credibility). But I used to do them at least once and, often twice a week for at least a few years - partly because they ARE time efficient.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lock mine to the bike rack. Not that anyone with bold cutters and/or a sledge could easily break that thing off. I rely, generally, on the fact that my bike is usually the least fancy/flashy around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trainer, treadmill.

Yea, Long Island is great.

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the time I do bricks from home. In other situations:

1. My bike fits in the back of my Blazer, so I just put in there and lock it up. Or,

2. Our tri club holds a weekly brick workout: One hour bike, followed by 30 minute run. (Timed workouts to help accommodate athletes of different levels). Someone from the club volunteers to watch the bikes and other gear.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take my front wheel off and I store it in the back end of my car and then lock the car up...

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cable lock through the spare tire, then lock your bike to the tire. The tire is bolted on so chances are slim it's going anywhere. Think of it as "re-racking" your bike. =)

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep my bike in the back seat of my civic. You'd be surprised how fast you become at taking BOTH wheels off, when you need to.

Never felt comfortable leaving the bike locked on the bike rack.
Quote Reply
Re: Brick workouts - What to do with Bike? [Timbikerun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timbikerun wrote:
Trainer, treadmill.

Yea, Long Island is great.

You give up too easily. Where do you live, Valley Stream or Wyandanch?

On a serious note, I just put it in the back of the CX5 and go run, but then I go to Heckscher to do a brick, and park away from field 5 and the inner city bus to the burbs crowd.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just run around a track so I can always see my bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out and back from home for bike and run.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by TheTortoise [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let the gorilla guard it, of course.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Brick workouts - What to do with Bike? [TheTortoise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheTortoise wrote:
All of you with the "I do my bricks from home" replies just stop gosh darn it! That's the same thing as saying the best cure for a hangover is "don't drink the night before!" Until a flux capacitor exists, shut your dang trap. He is obviously transporting his bike. Give advice accordingly. That'll be all...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought bricks were something only people with serious time constraints or new triathletes who haven't gotten used to running off the bike did. I think I've see. A lot of post here that suggest it is better to run later in the day with fresher legs.

So why is there a need to run off the bike? I might do one or two the week before a race? What is your excuse? ;)

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Brick workouts - What to do with Bike? [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I ever do a brick workout I leave my bike in T2.
Last edited by: knighty76: May 29, 15 2:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drive a Town & Country. Stow and go seats get dropped and the bike goes in the back. I keep a clip-on carrier in there as well in case I need to carry kids and can't get home first.
Quote Reply
Re: Brick workouts - What to do with Bike? [WebFootFreak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pack everything into the car and drive out into the country (5 minutes). Park along the side of a very not busy road. After I bike, I just leave it leaning against the car, run 1 km one way then a km the other until I'm done.
Quote Reply

Prev Next