Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Brett Sutton's methods
Quote | Reply
So ummm you hear about these on here...what exactly are the principles he uses?
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton's methods [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard basic schedule. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Repeat.

No LSD. No whining. Hard work.

"You learn to endure by enduring."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think, like any good coach, his methods are evolving...

I saw him speak a couple years back. This is what I remember:
- build your standard week to a sustainable volume
- when you are comfortable with that volume, add plenty of tempo
- repeat, repeat, repeat
- race
- recover
- start cycle again (4 month cycle)

This is an over-simplification... but I don't think even his athletes could sum up his methodology in one post on ST.....
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton's methods [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so quality as opposed to quantity?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

LOL!

It's most definitely BOTH.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heh. damn. how much quantity tho?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As much as you can handle.... and maybe more than you thought you could handle!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Siri Lindley (former World Champion) is definitley one of Sutton's disciples, and coaches her group with much of his approach. We have been fortunate to home stay one of Siri's athletes the last 2 summers, and have had a close-up look at the training. It is clearly a combination of quality and quantity. The intensity is very, very high, and the workload is very heavy. It seems like everyone is always walking a fine line between super race-ready and injury or illness (which does seem to occur at a bit higher rate than normal); however, if you can stick to the program - and have the 100% unconditional belief in the system, they turn out some awesome results - Siri, Loretta Harrop, Susan Williams, many Aussies, Lauren Groves, Mirinda Carfrae ...
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton's methods [5430tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this must be where my coach gets his ideas from!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fulla,

I have a PDF presentation from a training camp that he did in switzerland that covers many of his methods (with specific training sessions for his elite athletes - Jo King, Siri Lindley, Ben Sanson, etc.

I haven't looked at it in a while. Thanks for the reminder. Pretty cool stuff.

Drop me an email at trigeek@triathlontrainingsurvey.net if you want me to send you a copy.

Cheers,

Alan

trigeek76@triathlontrainingsurvey.net
http://www.triathlontrainingsurvey.net
Fill out my training survey to receive a copy of how Slowtwitchers really train
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not so sure that he omits "LSD"... I heard that he had Jo King doing 10 hour rides on the trainer. Yes, that's not a typo, its a Ten. Not sure of the intensity on that, but it definitely qualifies as long.
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton's methods [johnphillips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm not so sure that he omits "LSD"... I heard that he had Jo King doing 10 hour rides on the trainer. Yes, that's not a typo, its a Ten. Not sure of the intensity on that, but it definitely qualifies as long.

That's so fucked up it's awesome.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's also broken more than a few good athletes as well...........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to wonder about how many potentially awesome athletes are thrown away, though.

I have talked with a girl who trained with him and I suspect the the ones who "survive and prosper" are way outnumbered by those that are left by the wayside.

It works if you can survive it......

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton's methods [synchronicity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
recover!? LOL! Would one consider running the day after ironman as "recovery"!?
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton's methods [johnphillips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's also not uncommon to run a marathon on the treadmill. ICK!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i used marc becker @ ironguides.net last year for ironman lake placid. marc is brett's protege and his company is partnered with brett's (www.excaliburtraining.com)

yes, it's train and repeat.
no whining. no quitting. no stopping.
big emphasis on menta toughness
fatigue is the point.
no days off unless needed - but even then, test drive the body before you decide that you need it.
etc

it was a very difficult and challenging 9 months but i also had some of my best placings ever. i would find it hard to believe that age group triathletes with full-time jobs nad family (like myself) would be able to continue very long on that regiment.
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton's methods [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i used marc becker @ ironguides.net last year for ironman lake placid. marc is brett's protege and his company is partnered with brett's (http://www.excaliburtraining.com)

_______________________________________________________________________________________ Just checked out the site. I have never seen coaching fees that included "20% of prize money". That seems like a huge %. Is this the standard for pro/ elite athletes and their coaches. S
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton's methods [bella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I've seen and a few folks that I've talked with...some of the coaches out there who work with pros will take a portion of the prize money in an effort to reduce the actual coaching fees.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton's methods [bella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never seen coaching fees that included "20% of prize money."

I should look into using him, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't cost me a penny.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

LOL!

It's most definitely BOTH.
More is MORE.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys & gals,

For those who emailed me asking for a copy of the notes from Brett's presentation,

I just wanted to let you know that I'm not ignoring you.

My in-box is Chocka's

I will have them out to you by this afternoon, or this avo for those fellow Aussies out there :-)

Cheers,

Alan

trigeek76@triathlontrainingsurvey.net
http://www.triathlontrainingsurvey.net
Fill out my training survey to receive a copy of how Slowtwitchers really train
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton's methods [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i used marc becker @ ironguides.net last year ...

I spent a bit of time working with Marc, too. I only stopped because I am utterly incapable of following a structured schedule, and his advice was being wasted on me.

But, I loved the simplicity of the approach. I sent video of me swimming. Marc reviewed it with Brett and the feedback was: "The technique is close enough -- you need to develop power. Swim harder." Kinda cuts to the chase, eh?

Similar simplicity throughout the program. Threshold run day: 15min EZ; 15min Med.; 15min Hard; 15min EZ. How are those defined? Just go do it and you'll know when you've got it figured out. Don't overthink it. I tossed out the HR monitor and figured it out.

Even though my training nowadays is highly unorganized, I still think of my basic approach in terms of these simple blocks that are repeated. The speed and power will go up and down, but my basic workout descriptions don't change a whole lot throughout the year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, it's simple alright. train your ass off today and do it again tomorrow.

we had many similar conversations to the one you referenced. like the 5 consecutive weeks he told me to run my long run faster. every week i'd tell him the times and he'd reply, "run faster." no hr monitor. no zones. just run faster. i did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it's amazing what a little simplicity will do. My coach (Mike Plumb) also employs a pretty simply approach. Some runs include things such as 8x{2:00 hard/1:00 easy}. Pretty straight forward. I do train with a HRM and a power meter, because I do belive those metrics to be useful, as long as you don't get lost in them. It seems to me that there are too many programs that include things such as: 20 minutes at 85% FTP, followed by 5 at 50%, then...

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply

Prev Next