Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Brent McMahon: Mindblowing fast 8:13 at IMLP with 2:43 run
Quote | Reply
Wow, I was on a bit of travel and in meetings the last 24 hours and did not have a chance to check in one of my favourite IM's. That time that Brent McMahon posted this weekend at IMLP was really one for the ages. I've given my share of "well that's a suspect time at Brazil behind the motos etc" when Brent has posted fast times in Florionopolis, but the 8:13 at LP is in extra terrestrial territory given the difficulty of that course. To put it in perspective, only 2 years off his Kona win, Hellriegel went 8:3x in LP and so did Larsen at his peak. Brent blew these away. That 4:35 bike split in LP is in completely new territory with 6000 ft of climbing and descending.

I did not see a thread on this yet on ST. I thought you guys would be all over it (sorry, I have had my head buried in TdF analysis paralysis and Monday morning QBing).

What do you guys think? Hopefully Brent did not leave his best Kona legs on the hills in the Adirondacks, but even if he did, what a way to blow away your legs! He is definitely in 8:0x Kona shape with that performance, the question is can he back it up in October?

Can anyone there comment on the winds (favourable I assume going through High Falls Gorge)?
Quote Reply
Re: Brent McMahon: Mindblowing fast 8:13 at IMLP with 2:43 run [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whats even more puzzling is that he threw down 2:43 marathon with no one close to catching him. Typically you see pro's ease up a little with a lead. He beat Potts by 24 minutes!!
Quote Reply
Re: Brent McMahon: Mindblowing fast 8:13 at IMLP with 2:43 run [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one comment: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6373809#p6373809

and in his OP, Kiley commented on his bad bike fit. Anyone find a race day bike photo?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Brent McMahon: Mindblowing fast 8:13 at IMLP with 2:43 run [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:

and in his OP, Kiley commented on his bad bike fit. Anyone find a race day bike photo?

Just replying to you mainly to get approval on whether I have achieved redemption by propping up Brent on a standout performance, vs questioning the shenanigans on a course renowned for its various indiscretions to shave down times. Next up, a Tim Don thread talking about his awesomeness?

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Brent McMahon: Mindblowing fast 8:13 at IMLP with 2:43 run [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
12 weeks until Kona, legs will be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Brent McMahon: Mindblowing fast 8:13 at IMLP with 2:43 run [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess he's trying to make a statement. He says he hopes to race to his potential in Kona this year, so that appears to be his main focus, putting together a great Kona race. Hopefully this effort did not jeopardize that. Very impressive time all around!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ha! So, does Brent's performance at IMLP provide any correlation based validation for Don? ha

OK, here's a bad (horrible) photo of Brent from IMLP:

and here's the "best" in terms of bike fit (plenty of horrible photos of his bike fit) I could find of Brent:

What in the world can he do if he took a Don approach to his bike fit?

Quote Reply
Re: Brent McMahon: Mindblowing fast 8:13 at IMLP with 2:43 run [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:

You don't need to find one. Brent has always rocked the worst pro male bike fit. The day that changes will be the day Potts drops Rudy Project.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Brent McMahon: Mindblowing fast 8:13 at IMLP with 2:43 run [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure there's a correlation between McMahon's bike fit and Potts sticking with Rudy Project (or TYR). I mean, Potts did switch from Kuata to Kestrel to Cannondale... and retirement can't be too far away for him. But, the chance that McMahon looks at Don, Frodo, Keinle, Hoff, Lange and doesn't see easy gains.... well, why would you think he couldn't be persuaded to update his fit?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
ha! So, does Brent's performance at IMLP provide any correlation based validation for Don? ha

OK, here's a bad (horrible) photo of Brent from IMLP:

and here's the "best" in terms of bike fit (plenty of horrible photos of his bike fit) I could find of Brent:

What in the world can he do if he took a Don approach to his bike fit?

And in fairness, IMLP is a very forgiving course for aero sins. The uphills are shallow enough that Brent can stay in his crap position and yet slow enough that he's not penalized. On the downhills, he can actually put his nose between the bars riding "top tube safe" Tony Martin/Kienle style, so it is a course where someone who is not aero relatively gets less penalized especially on a favourable wind day when you may be sheltered on one part of the loop and tailwind on the other. Thus my questions about the wind. At Kona, the aero sins are a larger penalty.

By the way, as a strong example, I don't know if you saw what Tony Martin did in the uphill leg on the Marseilles ITT vs Froome. Martin stayed aero on the ultra slow speed 9.5% grade. His minute men matched him up the climb. Martin frankly sucked on that climb riding aero. Froome sat up and pedaled like a maniac in his 38x32 tiny gear generating a ton of watts from an open position with almost no aero penalty. There was no aero benefit for Tony Martin here.....that's the analogy for McMahon in LP. Very limited aero penalty on a lot of the 45K back to the LP on each loop where you gain ~2500 ft of vertical. This is to McMahon's benefit. He will still be "penalized" in the Kona winds if he does not get a lower CdA, but he will overbike to stick with the non uberbiker second group but consume too many kilojoules and pay on the run. That's really Brent's problem in Kona. I bet you if Brent does IM France he would beat Fredrick Van Lierde yesterday too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and this where if the garmin acquired alpha manta stick makes CdA numbers as cognitively consuming as w/kg for pros, we'll see more and more conformity to ultra aero positions. and where a w/CdA number will provide confidence for decisions whether to be in or out of the aerobars on climbs.

Last edited by: milesthedog: Jul 24, 17 14:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
and this where if the garmin acquired alpha manta stick makes CdA numbers as cognitively consuming as w/kg for pros, we'll see more and more conformity to ultra aero positions. and where a w/CdA number will provide confidence for decisions whether to be in or out of the aerobars on climbs.

Yes, the Garmin version of Chung on a Stick will make power meter information a good deal more meaningful for those who care to race as fast as possible.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Brent McMahon: Mindblowing fast 8:13 at IMLP with 2:43 run [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

Yes, the Garmin version of Chung on a Stick will make power meter information a good deal more meaningful for those who care to race as fast as possible.

sounds like you just provided Garmin with quite an amazing product name

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
sciguy wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

sounds like you just provided Garmin with quite an amazing product name

No, that name dates back a good number of years now and I can take no credit for it what so ever. If memory serves me correctly Tom Anhalt may have been the one to coin it ~ 10 years ago. Google shows me Andy Francioni of Alphamantis fame using the term in 2010.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=2754374#p2754374

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Jul 24, 17 14:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raced yesterday. First loop of the bike I didnt feel much wind at all. Second loop had a decent head/cross wind coming down into Keene. Then slight tail wind at times climbing back. Overall there was a noticeabally different climate between Lake Placid and Keene.

It was really cool seeing these guys out on the run. Brent looked smooth but much more tired than Potts when I saw them on the second loop.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Brent McMahon: Mindblowing fast 8:13 at IMLP with 2:43 run [MtbTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MtbTri wrote:
Raced yesterday. First loop of the bike I didnt feel much wind at all. Second loop had a decent head/cross wind coming down into Keene. Then slight tail wind at times climbing back. Overall there was a noticeabally different climate between Lake Placid and Keene.

It was really cool seeing these guys out on the run. Brent looked smooth but much more tired than Potts when I saw them on the second loop.

Scott

Very possible that the top pros beat the headwind going down Keene on lap two and all the way to Ausable Forks area and the wind only built up for their way back. This is what I was referring to as favourable wind. If you beat the south east wind day and get your second out and back done early enough, then you get the tailwind and then you have that riding up High Falls Gorge which is an absolute disaster windtunnel on the cold North West wind days.....when you get the South Easterly and beat it to the turnaround even age groupers can big chain ring a lot of the climb back and there is limiter aero penalty. But if you are a bit slower than the pros, it sucks going down Keene as you get buffeted and lose a ton of speed and the entire "flats" are a tough grind before you finally get the tailwind for the climbs home. But I'll take the South East wind any day over the North West on that course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're all assuming that he hasn't tried a more aero position based on your eyeball tunnel, and a lower more aggressive position isn't worth it based on real tunnel data.
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Jul 24, 17 16:19
Quote Reply
Re: Brent McMahon: Mindblowing fast 8:13 at IMLP with 2:43 run [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're all assuming that he hasn't tried a more aero position based on your eyeball tunnel, and a lower more aggressive position isn't worth it based on real tunnel data.

It wouldn't be Slowtwitch if the user's couldn't find fault and offer suggestions to help a guy who finished IMLP in 8:13...

Quote Reply
Re: Brent McMahon: Mindblowing fast 8:13 at IMLP with 2:43 run [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We don't need a wind tunnel to tell us that this:

is less aero than this:

I do remember Rapp (or someone posting) that Brent has neck/back issues that prevent him from going lower or something along those lines. No idea if they are true or not.

Look at where Brent's arms are on the pads. No wonder he's uncomfortable.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Brent McMahon: Mindblowing fast 8:13 at IMLP with 2:43 run [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe he was able to get comfortable being uncomfortable in that position? ;-)

It definitely isn't "eyeball aero" or "ST approved".

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
MtbTri wrote:

Scott

Very possible that the top pros beat the headwind going down Keene on lap two and all the way to Ausable Forks area and the wind only built up for their way back. This is what I was referring to as favourable wind. If you beat the south east wind day and get your second out and back done early enough, then you get the tailwind and then you have that riding up High Falls Gorge which is an absolute disaster windtunnel on the cold North West wind days.....when you get the South Easterly and beat it to the turnaround even age groupers can big chain ring a lot of the climb back and there is limiter aero penalty. But if you are a bit slower than the pros, it sucks going down Keene as you get buffeted and lose a ton of speed and the entire "flats" are a tough grind before you finally get the tailwind for the climbs home. But I'll take the South East wind any day over the North West on that course.

wind was actually NE and around 10 gusting to 15 from around 11:30 am onwards.
felt it as soon as you got on the flats out of town by the horsegrounds and all the way out.. definitively affected speeds on the Descent and was a bit of a kick in the teeth from keene to Ausable forks. for reference point, I am 52 and rode a 5:47 bike split
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:

maybe you're right. Heck, maybe he calculated his w/CdA and found it favors his current position that is more upright than my road bike position.... but probably not.

Quote Reply
Re: Brent McMahon: Mindblowing fast 8:13 at IMLP with 2:43 run [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Maybe he was able to get comfortable being uncomfortable in that position? ;-)

It definitely isn't "eyeball aero" or "ST approved".

Can we put Brent's engine in the Murphy's Law position and take the converged man-aerodroid to Kona and finally break Stadler's bike course record and out run Mecca to shut both of them up?
Quote Reply
Re: Brent McMahon: Mindblowing fast 8:13 at IMLP with 2:43 run [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, I was being reasonable. My bad, carry on.

Sanuk wrote:

It wouldn't be Slowtwitch if the user's couldn't find fault and offer suggestions to help a guy who finished IMLP in 8:13...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I distinctly remember an instagag back and forth last year in which Brent stated that the reason for his position being like that is because it allows him to "run better off the bike" or something along those lines. And he pointed to his Brazil run as something he could not have done if his position were more aggressive.

I can't find the exchange now or the side profile shot that induced it. But I remember thinking "wow..." when I saw/read that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next