Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Breathless Agony---May 5th
Quote | Reply
Wondering if any Southern California STer's are doing Breathless Agony. The 114 miles and 12,000 feet of climbing have me wondering if I made a BIG MISTAKE signing up for this! If anyone has done it and has some words of wisdom, I am all ears...

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Re: Breathless Agony---May 5th [Lar Dog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't done that one but we have a similar ride here in TN called Cherohala Challenge. Just take the climbs nice and slow and if you sweat at all, take salt tablets or endurolytes to prevent muscle cramping.
Quote Reply
Re: Breathless Agony---May 5th [Lar Dog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't done BA, but have done Around the Bear a couple of times, which is slightly shorter (100 miles) and little less climbing (9,000 feet versus 12,000 feet). Recommendations?

1). Gearing: Suggest a 12-25 cassette at a minimum. Some may recommend a 11-25 to give you more gears on the down hills. If you haven't done a lot sustained climbing you may even want to use a 11/12 - 27.

2). Pace: It's a long day in the saddle. Take it easy and work into the ride. You will pass people later in the day that passed you early on.

3). Other: Unless you are trying to set a PR or hit a particular time goal, stop at the aid stations, stretch your back, and take in calories.

Gary Clendenin (aka, "The Kid" or "G-man")
Quote Reply