Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Brain injury history and helmet options
Quote | Reply
Hi all, I'd appreciate any input. My brother has a history of a traumatic brain injury, which included craniotomy and VP shunt placement, etc. Thankfully, he is nearly back to 100%, and is training for an ironman. There are several helmets now with MIPS technology to provide some extra safety. That said, I've wondered if he should consider utilizing a motocross helmet, or if anyone has any other thoughts/suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Brain injury history and helmet options [beuerc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure it's been proven MIPS is actually that much safer or any safer than a non MIPS helmet. I think the theory behind it is good but if it works or not is less clear.

All helmets have to pass standards, I'm not sure a $300 helmet is any more safe than a $75 helmet although it should have more features which might make it more comfy to wear

That being said I really love my POC Octal helmet which I got on sale with MIPS, but only bc it was only ~ $5> the non MIPS version where i bought it

EDIT: I also had a TBI about 4-5 years ago that resolved fairly quickly

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: May 3, 17 20:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with desert dude.

My husband has had brain surgery 4 times and a good chunk of his skull is pretty fragile from the open/close x4. He's a pretty committed cyclist (20+ years) and we asked his neurologist, neurosurgeon, and nueroendocrinologist if he could resume cycling (we asked them independently so we had multiple opinions). All three said yes and we specifically asked about helmets. His neurologist is also a cyclist and he took the question pretty seriously and did quite a bit of looking at helmet options. In the end, he recommended a well-fitting, well-adjusted (straps, etc) bike helmet. For a while he mulled an equestrian helmet, but determined the bike helmet to be a better option.

As is our luck, my husband got to test the helmet in a crash (eucalyptus tree debris blew into his wheel spokes bringing his bike to an absolute stop). He walked away with 8 broken fingers, a crooky nose and a bit of road rash, but an otherwise undamaged skull and no further brain injury. He was probably going ~19 mph when he flew off the bike.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Brain injury history and helmet options [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Brain injury history and helmet options [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi --

Just remember that helmets do not prevent TBI. They limit the carnage to your skull. The TBI is caused by the brain ricocheting off of the skull, so an external device isn't going to stop that. Helmets DO help prevent skull fracture and the brain injuries that can result from that added trauma. At least that is my understanding, having a daughter who has had five TBIs and several bouts of PCS.

As everyone has told her, participating in activities that could expose her to future TBI is a calculated risk. Only the individual risking the additional damage can decide what is worth risking, when. Best of luck to your brother!!
Quote Reply
Re: Brain injury history and helmet options [irongirlfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
irongirlfl wrote:
Hi --

Just remember that helmets do not prevent TBI. They limit the carnage to your skull. The TBI is caused by the brain ricocheting off of the skull, so an external device isn't going to stop that. Helmets DO help prevent skull fracture and the brain injuries that can result from that added trauma. At least that is my understanding, having a daughter who has had five TBIs and several bouts of PCS.

As everyone has told her, participating in activities that could expose her to future TBI is a calculated risk. Only the individual risking the additional damage can decide what is worth risking, when. Best of luck to your brother!!

I thought the deformation of the helmet (liner) was intended to do two things
1) spread the area of contact, reducing point loads (ie reduce breaking or penetrating the skull)
2) increase the deceleration time, reducing brain injury, thanks to the sudden stop.

On top of that, the outer shell of the helmet is designed to not "stick" to the road. Back in the day, Styrofoam helmets were either bare or had cloth coverings. They found with those that they'd stick to the road in essence and that would create a rapid turning effect on the head and neck, actually resulting in more injuries, particularly brain injuries (just like a boxer that tries to spin their opponents head to get them to black out!) The modern shells of helmets tend to skate across the road, reducing the turning as well as increasing the time to stop even further.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much for your input! And pray all is well with your daughter!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After coming upon a semiconscious cyclist lying across the bike trail who was wearing a destroyed standard eps lined helmet I purchased a Smith the next day. They may be expensive, but relative to a closed head injury, cheap.

http://www.smithoptics.com/...-OTRWLG/sizeVariants

http://koroyd.com/...t-safety-initiative/

http://koroyd.com/about/#awards
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
{this is supposed to be in reply to tridork but for some reason I whiffed on that...}

Studies have shown that (for example) football helmets reduce the effect of linear impact by reducing the risk of skill fracture and focal brain tissue bruising.... but do very little for nonlinear impact, which is the majority of head injury. Also, there is NO way to reduce the internal action of your brain when there is impact to the head. AND, research is showing that neck strength plays a large roll in TBI and PCS, which is why females are more susceptible to concussions generally.

Don't get me wrong, not wearing a helmet is just stupid. A helmet can make the difference between a serious organic injury (shattered skull impacting brain matter) but it cannot prevent a TBI from occurring. Impact is impact. Short of filling your skull with spray insulation, one's brain is going to move regardless of what you are wearing on the outside of your skull. And the problem with TBI is, you don't have to have a visible brain injury (bruising for example) to deal with PCS and long term cognitive effects. So while the OP's brother can look to limit the physical damage of another head impact, he cannot in any way limit the ultimate effects. And anyone who has dealt with PCS or long term cognitive and emotional impacts of even a mTBI can attest that it requires a very very careful cost-benefit assessment to risk further damage.
Last edited by: irongirlfl: May 8, 17 3:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
irongirlfl wrote:
Hi --

Was in a bike accident earlier this year and suffered a TBI/concussion. I agree with this... my helmet saved my life but my brain still got rattled around... A LOT.

I bought a cycling helmet for my return to the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beuerc wrote:
I've wondered if he should consider utilizing a motocross helmet

Like a full-face motorcycle helmet? Those can be super heavy, since they're made to absorb impacts in the 100+ mph range, not usual cycling speeds

Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - ... My neighbor & his buddies were hanging around the street as I finished my run on a warm Summer evening. I don't remember quite how it came about, but someone bet that I couldn't run with a full-face street bike helmet on. That escalated to "I'll pay you $10 fro each mile you run"

A pair of motorcycles followed me on a 5 mile loop and I made $50 in about 45 minutes; I sweated / stunk up his helmet pretty good, I'm sure

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/...our-brain-1778499867

I've had seven concussions, first at age 10, perhaps, most recent in 1990

A friend of mine suffered a mTBI [mild Traumatic Brian Injury] from a slip in the tub and shared this TEDx

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
irongirlfl wrote:
{this is supposed to be in reply to tridork but for some reason I whiffed on that...}

Studies have shown that (for example) football helmets reduce the effect of linear impact by reducing the risk of skill fracture and focal brain tissue bruising.... but do very little for nonlinear impact, which is the majority of head injury. Also, there is NO way to reduce the internal action of your brain when there is impact to the head. AND, research is showing that neck strength plays a large roll in TBI and PCS, which is why females are more susceptible to concussions generally.

Don't get me wrong, not wearing a helmet is just stupid. A helmet can make the difference between a serious organic injury (shattered skull impacting brain matter) but it cannot prevent a TBI from occurring. Impact is impact. Short of filling your skull with spray insulation, one's brain is going to move regardless of what you are wearing on the outside of your skull. And the problem with TBI is, you don't have to have a visible brain injury (bruising for example) to deal with PCS and long term cognitive effects. So while the OP's brother can look to limit the physical damage of another head impact, he cannot in any way limit the ultimate effects. And anyone who has dealt with PCS or long term cognitive and emotional impacts of even a mTBI can attest that it requires a very very careful cost-benefit assessment to risk further damage.

+1. 12+ months of PCS here. absolutely no visible damage to my skull/head, but didn't stop the concussion and subsequent post-concussion syndrome. Just glad I was wearing my helmet or I would've been much worse off.
Quote Reply