Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Boston Mary weather outlook ;(
Quote | Reply
high of 44 and 60% chance of rain right now. What are you vets going to wear if it rains all day?
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Mary weather outlook ;( [JamieJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same thing I usually wear on race day, except probably with a light jacket to ward off at least some of the rain. (Not a veteran Boston racer, just a practical runner doing his first Boston).

I don't really care if it is cool and overcast, that's actually pretty ideal. But if it is rainy and windy it's going to be a long day .......

Quote | Reply
44 and cloudy? chance of rain?

turn that frown upside down!!! that is sweet weather for a long run!

I am fashion challenged so the what to wear questions goes over my head. I'd say since it's the premiere distance event for the amateur try to go "casual formal" - maybe something black, but do a tie instead of a bow-tie? nothing shiny, and flat front instead of pleats. Laces for your shoes no doubt - slip ons would be a tad much. Oh and I'd go with some muted colors - not to flashy. earth tones that contrast.
;-)

Good Luck Race Day!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Mary weather outlook ;( [edk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, if it is not raining, perfect conditions.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as the rain holds off, those are perfect conditions. For the New Englanders, it's been that way the past few weeks anyway so it won't be anything different from what they have done their final long runs in. The past few years there would be a sudden warm-up to the high 70s-low 80s and it would knock people for a loop, plus the fact that there was no shade since the leaves haven't come out on the trees yet.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yuk - hate cold and wet. Don't mind cold and actually like just about 45-50 for a marathon temp. I was trying to travel light as well to bypass luggage at Logan airport ...

Re: Boston Mary weather outlook ;( [edk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah....I usually chafe in my wool suit. Perhaps a nice leisure suit from the 70's would breath better and a broad rimmed pimp hat to keep the rain off.

Seriously, the temps are fine but the rain...I'm sooo sick of crappy weather! I was wondering about the whole water"proof" attire that people may choose....I ain't runnin' Boston in a garbage bag! I'll probably wear some tights and a couple of tops with a light jacket too and disrobe as I go :). I don't run in rain during training, just a personal preference. So I'm a little out of sorts with this forecast of possible cold and rain.
Last edited by: JamieJ: Apr 7, 07 7:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since my qualifier (Chicago last year) had really dreadful conditions, anything will be an improvement!

Will probably roll in long sleeve and knicker tights (Craft 6 Dot which are awesome by the way)

And vets- is there a place to get cover in athlete's village in Hopkinton or are should we be prepared to stand/sit in cold and wet for the couple hours before?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I ran Boston in 2000, the conditions were similar. Low 40's and very windy. No rain though. I just wore a long sleeved Under Armour shirt with a running singlet over top and a pair of DeSoto shorts. Had so much fun I didn't even notice the cold.

18x Ironman, 3x Hawaii
US Army (Ret.), Vietnam Vet ('71-'72)
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Mary weather outlook ;( [funkman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are big tents in Hopkinton, but not big enough to fit everybody. If it's raining I think I'll get on one of the earlier buses. And take some green garbage bags
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Mary weather outlook ;( [funkman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the past there was a huge tent in Hopkinton -- big enough for most people, perhaps everyone if conditions were lousy and people crowded in there. To me, the biggest issue was having something to sit on -- it can be a long wait.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got really bad sunburn when it was in the 40s in '96...we wish it would have at least been overcast. Better weather in '98 and 2000...:) Actually, the good strong westerly wind is the best thing to have!

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waaaaaaaay better than what it was last time I ran it...high of 85 or 86 I think?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Relax, it's New England. To me, a long range forecast around here is a wild guess. I've lived here long enough to see that fact.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Mary weather outlook ;( [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if somebody called triocd should tell people to relax. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wait to check the weather the night before the race! today here in Boston the forecast called for snow/rain and none of those happened while doing my long ride.

Rick - don't forget to wear gloves!

Jorge Martinez
Head Coach - Sports Science
E3 Training Solutions, LLC
@CoachJorgeM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A high of 46 and a WNW wind....... sweet.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Re: Boston Mary weather outlook ;( [Jorge M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always wear them Jorge ........ ;-)

Quote | Reply
If you check now the 10 day forecast is partly cloudy with a low of 40 and high of 46. Anymore with all the latest meteorological technology weather forecasting is a wild ass guess even just a few days out...so a 10 day forecast is worthless.
Last edited by: Reparto Corse: Apr 7, 07 13:00
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Mary weather outlook ;( [Reparto Corse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are right. But it is still fun torturing ourselves worrying over the weather. I mean we're going to do the race whatever the weather, so why sweat it 9 days out (because we can)...

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Re: Boston Mary weather outlook ;( [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Waaaaaaaay better than what it was last time I ran it...high of 85 or 86 I think?"

I remember that race a few years ago. Not only was it that hot but I don't think Boston had even been out of the mid 60's until that day.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Mary weather outlook ;( [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah..it was crazy. I think it was in the high 50s both before and after the race, but race day itself was mid 80s. A lot of people were slightly ill-prepared!
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Mary weather outlook ;( [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mostly cloudy, 30% chance of precipitation, highs in low 50s.......that's the latest....

I ran it that super hot year....I do really well in the heat for some reason. My friend was doing it too and he totally had a meltdown, stopped at starbucks for an ice frap, and walked the last third.....
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Mary weather outlook ;( [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Mostly cloudy, 30% chance of precipitation, highs in low 50s.......that's the latest....

I ran it that super hot year....I do really well in the heat for some reason. My friend was doing it too and he totally had a meltdown, stopped at starbucks for an ice frap, and walked the last third.....
You forgot to mention the forecast predicts a 12mph wind in an Easterly direction - a tail wind! The 10am start and the cooler weather will help prevent that switching to a head wind as it usually does on warmer days...
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Mary weather outlook ;( [joggernut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
accuweather.com is calling for a smoking tailwind. (20 mph with gusts over 35.) You might want to wear a sombrero.

I wouldn't put too much stock in it at this point.
Quote Reply

Prev Next