Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Boston Marathon anyone
Quote | Reply
Who is one the bus to Hopkinton? Expected finish times based on 50 - 55 degree current forecast. I am hoping to go sub 3:10 but 3:15 will be ok.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon anyone [trijs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in, #5387. I hope the forecast holds up since that would be perfect compared to the heat we've had the past few years. Last year I had intestinal issues during the race and wound up in the med tent afterwards, so my main goal for Monday is to avoid that happening again and to enjoy the day.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for my 2nd stand alone marathon. Also with a goal of 3:10 - 3:15. Any pacing tips from Boston veterans?

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon anyone [PresbyOpie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Headed up from MD for first attempt. Even in what appears will be very good temps, I'm just hoping I can hold it to a sub-3:20 on that course. I've heard it tears up your quads pretty good. Also appreciate any Boston vet tips/words of wisdom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm there. Just got back from IMAZ, so the plan is to just take it as a long run and enjoy the sights. Depending on how the legs feel (and how long I stop at that girl's college <grin>) I'm guessing 3:30-4 hrs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a pretty good pace guide where you punch in desired finish time and results from a prior distance and it will give you pace for each mile based on objective finish time as well as a projected pace for each mile.

http://www.runnersweb.com/...blicat/baasplit.html

This is my 2nd visit to Boston and only my 3rd marathon so I am far from an expert but the often stated good advice is go slower than your legs want to for the first 8 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there, looking to run around 3:10 as well.

The best piece of advice that I have received is the following: since the seeding (bib number) is based on qualifying times, everyone around you is going to run about the same pace. So, it makes a lot of sense to run at about the same pace as everyone around you. If you are passing a lot of people at the beginning, you're probably going out too fast.

And I agree with trijs about the first part of the race.

Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon anyone [Norm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 "I'm there. Just got back from IMAZ, so the plan is to just take it as a long run and enjoy the sights. Depending on how the legs feel (and how long I stop at that girl's college <grin>) I'm guessing 3:30-4 hrs. "

If you can make it, I would suggest pushing on past the Wellesley women and trying to make it to Boston College. Way more talent there, and despite being coed, fewer hairy legs than Wellesley...

Of course, when you make it to BC...you just crested the Heartbreak Hills, and it is all downhill to the finish...
Last edited by: kdw: Apr 12, 06 9:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My (Hugh Blake) second Boston, just hoping to run through it in about 3:40; my wife (Cynthia Medwedeff-Blake) 3rd Boston; my brother in law (Mark Medwedeff) his first Boston marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. bib#9457 My first Boston, can't wait. Will be running around 3:30-3:40 (hopefully)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bib #15279 here, going for my first Boston. I'm so excited I can hardly sit still! My goal is to requalify for next year (3:45:59), but I knew from the outset that that was a "stretch" goal, so I won't be heartbroken if I don't make it.

The 50-55 degrees sounds good, although I'd be fine with anything up to 70. (Been training in high-80s temps.) What worries me more is that accuweather.com predicts a 19mph headwind that day. Of course, any forecasts this far out are virtually meaningless. I'm told that Boston forecasts don't become even minimally accurate until about four hours out.

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for Boston #2. Contrary to popular opinion, I'm watching the weather praying for 10 more degrees. I'm a warm-weather chica :-)

I'm number 8523 and was hoping to go 3:20 or better (3:23 last year), but since I've been hurt, I've revised it to 3:30.

Good luck to everyone!!!

Kathy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BIB#1486... but not running, I just wish I could give my bib to someone who would like to run it...

Alex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the pacing link - pretty cool. But I better bank some time to get to 3:10 as I can't imagine running mile 25 in 7:08!

My bib # is low 7000's, qualified with 3:18. Should I try to move up after they open corral to get with a faster group? Is this easily done?

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon anyone [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish you could too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
25 is down hill with huge crowd support (drunk fans from Fenway "Hey runners who needs a beer?") so if you still have some gas in the tank....

It is possible to jump up a corral or two.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon anyone [Lextri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will be my 9th time doing Boston - best advice I can give is to take it easy in the first half of the race since there are a lot of downhills and you can easily be fooled into thinking you are feeling pretty good, only to pay for it later on in the hills. It is also easy to get caught up in the excitement and emotion of the race, definitely enjoy it but save some energy for the last 10 miles.

The hills in Newton are tough but you do get a good break to recover in between each one. I think the toughest part of the course is around mile 16, when you come down a long steep downhill from Wellesley into Newton Lower Falls. The course flattens at the bottom of the hill for only about 10 yards before starting a long slow gradual climb as you go up over the highway and into Newton. This doesn't look bad when you first come to this point of the race, but it is a bitch since your quads and lower back have been taking a pounding from all the downhills (especially the one I just mentioned above) and now you are instantly switching muscle groups.

After Heartbreak Hill you get a nice long downhill to recover on. Miles 22-25 can be tough because the pavement along that stretch of Beacon St isn't that great and all you can smell is stale beer from the BC and BU kids. What should be interesting in the last mile this year is the new course change where you do a quick dip under Mass Ave - it's a very short drop/rise as you go underneath an overpass that I'd imagine is going to really suck at 25+ miles.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon anyone [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If you can make it, I would suggest pushing on past the Wellesley women and trying to make it to Boston College. Way more talent there, and despite being coed, fewer hairy legs than Wellesley...

Past Wellesley and onto the BC crowd it is - thanks for the tip ;)

Any STers planning on getting together pre or post race?
Quote Reply