Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bone Island Tri refusing to pay prize money
Quote | Reply
I registered for the Bone Island half distance back in November under the impression they would offer a modest prize purse. It had been advertised that way for quite a while on the website. I booked my trip and planned to do the race and most likely earn a small paycheck to offset the cost of the trip. I wanted to register for something as motivation to put in some training and finish the distance again as a test for my leg(I broke my hip in march of 2013 and had a lot of hardware put in) to see if I should consider having the hardware removed later this year or leave it in for the rest of my life.

I noticed a week before the race that only the 2015 prize purse was now on the website, when I contacted the race director (RIch Langdon) to make sure the 2014 purse was still the same, he said "The prize purse is on the website". I told him that only the 2015 purse was on the site, but got no reply to that. I chalked it up to a busy race director on race week, not knowing the website had been updated and unable to reply to every email. So I did the race, finished 2nd in the half, and though I would receive my check at the awards. I waited for awards, and asked Rich, face to face, do we get the checks now? He said they would be mailed.

I emailed Rich after the race asking if he would please mail me my 2nd place prize money, and got now response to the first email. After about 10 days I emailed him again and he said there were budget cuts and he could not pay me my money. I told him I would be taking it up with USAT and he said "Do what you have to, we can't send you any money".

If I didn't think I was going to have a chance to make a small check at this race, I probably would not have booked the trip. I know it's not a large amount of money $500, but the first place amount was to be $750 and for the full iron distance first place was to get $1,000. I'm not the fastest guy in the world, and maybe nobody is going to care if I get paid or not...but for me, it just seems really dishonest to offer a prize purse like that for so long and then decide to change it just prior to the race when the travel plans of everyone are already made (and not notify anyone about it via email, website, facebook or anything that the changes have been made).

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Island Tri refusing to pay prize money [BIGZACH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sucks Zach. $500 is $500 and you should have it. Sounds like this race should go away, with this issue and the other negative comments about this race. I hope you can get this resolved.

MC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Island Tri refusing to pay prize money [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good thing you didn't do the full, that would have been a lot of beating for $1,000 you may never see.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just got an email the other day that setup events will not be associated with this race next year...its unfortunate that this race director butchered this so bad, and made setup look bad in the process. certainly not typical of a race with their name on it. sorry it looks like you wont see that cash, you earned it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An event that pulls a stunt like that shouldn't be allowed to take registration for following years.

I get that probaly don't have any money, but I find it sketchy as hell a race can promote for following year.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If being a professional triathlete isn't hard enough, then you have to put up with crap like this. RDs should have to put the prize money in escrow with USAT or something similar. How often does something like this happen?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by endurathonrd [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is lame, and when I get back from vacation I will get on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Island Tri refusing to pay prize money [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knew you'd come through. Although I didn't mean to interrupt your vacation by tweeting it at you.

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zach,

I'm super pissed off to hear this. At the very least tell a guy before he makes the trip and hopefully before any travel arrangements are made. I know I work very hard for my money and I count on checks from racing to offset cost or even make a bit now and again. Hope the folks at ST can use their powers to make it right.

On a positive note I went to Troy's Cuban Deli. Great food and the portions are perfect after a long day! Anyone visiting Clermont should stop in--right close to the NTC.

Best of luck,

Jake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
really really really shitty of a race to offer a prize purse, change it, but keep the prize purse for the next year's event on their website as if it will still be offered.

It's very "bait and switchy". It's like the car lots that say "50% off this model! RIGHT NOW! COME COME COME!" and then when you get there they aren't offering it. Just a shitty way to do business.

Also very bad that they didn't notify anyone that they decided to do away with the prize money. That kind of decision needs to be announced and made publicly known. Even if it was something that wasn't shady and just a mistake - it's really bad form (borderline "intentionally with-holding and thievery form") that they don't notify the people doing the race that no prize money is going to be issued.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zach, i am bummed that this happened to you. that said, did you ask anybody here if you could post this? because it might be righteous trial by internet, but it is still trial by internet and if you did not ask any of us permission to write this you just got me pretty pissed off at you.

when this kind of thing has happened in the past, athletes have contacted me, or herbert, and we've gone through back channels to help you get paid. this has been the case with races and with companies that don't pay their athletes for promotional services rendered.

you might wonder why i'm a stickler on this. first, because for some reason pro athletes get a pass. can you imagine if i posted on the forum when somebody refused to pay his ad bill? or when some manufacturer posted when a retail store refused to pay, or was late in paying? or if the RD posted because a sponsor reneged?

or, worse yet, what if i started posting every time a pro athlete accepts a free entry, is arranged a homestay, the RD makes up the registration package, assumes he's "set" in his pro field because x, y and z athlete have committed, and then they don't show? or the RD purchased an airline ticket and the ticket cannot be refunded because only the athlete can get the refund or the credit, and the athlete doesn't show? or the athlete verbally abuses a volunteer? can you imagine the trial by internet that could take place leveled at pro athletes?

were i to tell you all the times i had been screwed - not inconvenienced, but royally screwed - by pro athletes over the past 25 years, you would be ashamed of your profession. but i have never told those stories because people in our sport don't want to hear those stories. that's not why they're in triathlon. so, really, you are owed some money based on your story, it's a civil case, you have that option, and it's a matter you could have handled privately, with our help. if an RD is recalcitrant, we do not keep things quiet, and we did write about the unpaid bills to athletes by tristar.

herbert got a little bit of a shit kicking from some people by writing about what happens when a pro athlete allegedly "borrows without the apparent consent of the lender," yet here it's supposed to be a great service you've provided by telling the triathlon world about a bill you're owed? if you want anybody in this actual business of triathlon to ever consider pro athletes equal partners in industry, you guys are going to have to earn that.

as herbert noted, he will contact the race organization and follow up. but this should have been a private conversation between you and herbert, and then if the RD was in the wrong, and recalcitrant, herbert has no problem writing that story, regardless of who is in the wrong.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Island Tri refusing to pay prize money [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not trying to do a 'service' to the triathlon world. I'm trying to get my money from the Bone Island Triathlon that was advertised. This is one of my current strategies, as simply asking for it has not worked. If you want to delete my post go ahead.

The dude stood there on the podium and looked me in the eye and send "We'll send your check in the mail". Think about that for a minute, he knew at that point he wasn't going to send me a check but wasn't man enough to say it to my face. So he deserves to be called out on a forum and social media, the guy shouldn't be running races.

Yea Jake, Troy's is great! I wish we had one here in Fort Wayne!!

Now back to using my brain for work, and not reading through all this. Just send my money and it's over Rich!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zach,
Sorry to hear this. But not surprised. Everything about that race kept changing. I posted on here earlier about the lack of prize money "follow up" (ie, actually getting paid the amount that was advertised when we/you signed up)..

Glad you were there though. Otherwise I would be the dude crying like a bitch about not being paid!!

Best of luck getting your money.

Austin

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" The Full Prize Purse is shown and the Half Prize Purse will be $250 less than the limits shown for the Full"

Just so I understand, doesn't this mean that first for 1/2 would be 750 as you stated, but that the 2nd place would be $250 (since the full was $500 + comp?

How did you come up with $500 for 2nd for the half? I'm not disputing what you are saying, I'm just trying to understand.
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Island Tri refusing to pay prize money [auto208562] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatever you are reading on the website is not what was on there when I registered in November. He decided to change the money the week before the race but never told anyone (all he did was replace the 2014 purse with the 2015 purse on the website...no note about a change to 2014), nor would he give a direct answer when asked about it twice via email on race week. He still wouldn't tell me at the awards when asked about it, he said "Check's will be mailed".

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zach, try using Way Back Machine to see if you can pull up their site from November:
http://archive.org/web/

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Island Tri refusing to pay prize money [auto208562] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, I found the archive w the way back machine. 2nd place in the half is owed $250, the winners of the half are owed $750. The winners of the full are owed $1000 and the 2nd place finishers in the full are owed $500. I'd still like my check, if the other podium finishers don't mind getting screwed over that's up to them. It's hard to double check this stuff close to race day when it's removed from the website with no notification or explanation from the R.D.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
but i have never told those stories because people in our sport don't want to hear those stories.

I can only speak for myself when I say that I would love to hear these stories and that I don't see any difference between drama like this and the US Weekly-esque drama you guys yourselves post on the main page.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They just sent me a message on a post I put on their facebook page that said they were going to honor the first place $$ not sure what that means
BoneIslandTri Hi, we appreciate your comments! We are going to honor the first place winners with the amounts and policies shown on www.boneislandtri.com The athletes may have been confused about the amounts shown? Please review what is shown and know that those amounts will be honored. Thanks for your feedback!
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Island Tri refusing to pay prize money [greatland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
greatland wrote:
Slowman wrote:
but i have never told those stories because people in our sport don't want to hear those stories.

I can only speak for myself when I say that I would love to hear these stories and that I don't see any difference between drama like this and the US Weekly-esque drama you guys yourselves post on the main page.

Posts like this are why this site needs a LIKE button. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Island Tri refusing to pay prize money [anitan1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or that people routinely drag other companies through the mud here when they recieve an unfavorable outcome. Garmin gets ripped apart here frequently for example but certain companies are protected status here and I guess bone island is one of them
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Island Tri refusing to pay prize money [greatland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
greatland wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Maybe he's saving those stories for his tell all book.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's very nice of you to offer to serve as ombudsman in this situation but unless ST can somehow position itself as the de facto ombudsman in all situations it is a bit presumptuous to think that someone's first action in such a situation would be to contact a slowtwitch site or forum administrator.
Quote Reply

Prev Next