Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bobridge Hour Record Attempt
Quote | Reply
Jack Bobridge is attempting the hour record this Saturday in Melbourne. He has done a couple of pre-attempt interviews:
I like how he is putting a power number out there: 375-380. I was surprised to see how hard he was riding in the TDU last week, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and see what distance he can put up. My money is on him to get the record (currently Matthias Brandle at 51.852).

He'll be riding a T4 with a 3T Aduro frontend.

I assume UCI will be streaming the event but I haven't seen a link yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Bobridge Hour Record Attempt [agg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was really happy to see him and Rohan both crushing it.

We got two fit guys going after this thing, real track guys.

Gonna be great.

Also interesting to note how well two guys did in road racing, when focusing on their 1 hour power =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Jan 29, 15 15:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agg wrote:
Jack Bobridge is attempting the hour record this Saturday in Melbourne. He has done a couple of pre-attempt interviews:
I like how he is putting a power number out there: 375-380. I was surprised to see how hard he was riding in the TDU last week, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and see what distance he can put up. My money is on him to get the record (currently Matthias Brandle at 51.852).

He'll be riding a T4 with a 3T Aduro frontend.

I assume UCI will be streaming the event but I haven't seen a link yet.

you look at what he was doing last week at the TdU and it was almost perfect 1hr TT training. Get the in the break (twice), and try and stay away while you get hunted down by the pack. You couldn;t ask for better training really.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Bobridge Hour Record Attempt [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed, good coverage there as well. (I assumed ST'ers had already seen those, so I didn't post those links; apologies for that.)

In the second link (the article from Jan 1), you are reporting that Bobridge's hour setup is with a 55x13 gearing. Is that solid?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the new interest in the hour record. Anyone else a little surprised at those power figures? I'd have guessed it would be a bit higher

http://www.thedeludedcyclist.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bobridge Hour Record Attempt [deludedcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember or maybe misremember Boardman averaging about 450 for one of his hour records. He was bigger than either of these two candidates, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deludedcyclist wrote:
I love the new interest in the hour record. Anyone else a little surprised at those power figures? I'd have guessed it would be a bit higher

i thought i read wiggo was up into the low 400's (i seem to recall like 415w). Which is some serious power, especially when you consider the weight of these guys.

i agree though, the rule change has certainly made it interesting. What will get really interesting is when they truly start chasing the marginal gains. Currently its been a few tries in quick succession and it seems they are learning a bit as they go, so they're not quite yet splitting hairs. But you'll have guys going to elevation (already happening) and then waiting for perfect weather, etc.just to gain that fraction of a second difference for their attempt. Natural progression will also lead to innovation, and it'll keep riders chasing for some time. Should be good to see.
Quote Reply
Re: Bobridge Hour Record Attempt [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:
deludedcyclist wrote:

i thought i read wiggo was up into the low 400's (i seem to recall like 415w). Which is some serious power, especially when you consider the weight of these guys.

i agree though, the rule change has certainly made it interesting. What will get really interesting is when they truly start chasing the marginal gains. Currently its been a few tries in quick succession and it seems they are learning a bit as they go, so they're not quite yet splitting hairs. But you'll have guys going to elevation (already happening) and then waiting for perfect weather, etc.just to gain that fraction of a second difference for their attempt. Natural progression will also lead to innovation, and it'll keep riders chasing for some time. Should be good to see.

On this note what is the point of using a bike, change the hour record to who can generate the best ratio watts/kg for one hour on a trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Bobridge Hour Record Attempt [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
On this note what is the point of using a bike, change the hour record to who can generate the best ratio watts/kg for one hour on a trainer.

Aero? W/kg means nothing if you can only do them sitting upright :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is pretty light at 5'11 and 140lbs and appears to be riding in a very low position. Jens was around 170lbs and the final wattage was 390 or 412 as both numbers have been stated, but 390 was stated by Jens in an interview a week later. Brandle is much harder to find information on in regards to wattage and weight but he increased the distance by 742 meters and several people have thrown around 410-415w for a guy who is much heavier than Bobridge.
Last edited by: -Mike-: Jan 29, 15 23:01
Quote Reply
Re: Bobridge Hour Record Attempt [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've met Chris Boardman and he's no giant! I'd say 5'9" at the most. Infact most pro riders are pretty diminutive when you meet them.

I think you'll find Wiggo will be some way into the 400s too. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agg wrote:

In the second link (the article from Jan 1), you are reporting that Bobridge's hour setup is with a 55x13 gearing. Is that solid?

In yesterday's feature with cyclingtips he stated that the gearing selection would be made based on the specific tracks conditions on the day, and therefore the distance (and speed) he feels that he can achieve.

It seems to me that he's aiming for a specific cadence and average power, and the conditions will somewhat decide the rest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Bobridge Hour Record Attempt [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LIVE on youtube if other link is GEO blocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=85114404&v=vs2UOIKezU0&x-yt-ts=1422579428

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Bobridge Hour Record Attempt [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unlucky for Jack.
It looks like he went out too hard in the first 20 mins or so, and really paid the price towards the end.
Quote Reply
Re: Bobridge Hour Record Attempt [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He didn't break it then?

Didn't realise this was happening so early, goddamn time zones. Just tuned in to the live youtube feed and they're showing some keirin race now.

Edited to add: 51.3xx km unofficial distance. Not bad and a new Aussie record obviously, until Rohan Dennis has a go at least.
Last edited by: aw3: Jan 31, 15 1:35
Quote Reply
Re: Bobridge Hour Record Attempt [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, he was going great guns for a while too.

My impression was that he had the condition but judged it wrong.
He passed the 10km mark in 11:12, so that should give you some idea of the uneven pacing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Average speed built up to 53.5kmh over the first few laps and then tailed off downhill pretty linearly to the 51.3kmh end point.
From interviews they were pacing on 52.5 and hoping for 53. That range seems reasonable for the expected power figures they gave in the build up too.
If he had ridden smoothly to a 52kmh schedule it looks to me like he might well have got it.
Quote Reply
Re: Bobridge Hour Record Attempt [carlosferreiro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carlos,

His pacing error was even bigger than you described.
Have a look at the other thread, the "why did he ride a Cervelo?" one. There is a graph of his speed posted, and it shows him to be in excess of 55kmph for 5 mins or so (I don't remember the specifics).
Maybe the individual pursuiter in him took over a little?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I plotted a cumulative average from the live lap splits - well there was no data and there's only so long you can watch lap repeats ;-) - and his "start to current time" average never went a lot above a 53.5 peak. But that was averaging the starting laps in as well, so yeah, the fastest speeds over short periods might well have been up there. I figured the cumulative average would indicate the schedule they were riding to, and if they were matching it, and from the interviews that seems to have been about right, it's just that the schedule was wrong.
But yeah, worst pacing since Eddy Merckx ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:
i thought i read wiggo was up into the low 400's (i seem to recall like 415w).

At least on the road, Wiggins averages 450-460 W during TTs (he's also quite a bit taller, and somewhat heavier, than Bobridge, who is more of the "pocket rocket" type of TTer/pursuiter).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some work we did for Universal Sports right before the World ITT last year. I think 440+ is probably more likely in peak form on a flat track. A side note we didn't have access to any power data but used previous performances to estimate FTP and Drag.

https://www.bestbikesplit.com/client-race?r=9179

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: Bobridge Hour Record Attempt [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He also beat our estimate by 20 seconds so 450+ is a real possibility.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: Bobridge Hour Record Attempt [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mrcooper wrote:
He also beat our estimate by 20 seconds so 450+ is a real possibility.

I'm not relying just on estimates.
Quote Reply

Prev Next