Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bluetooth Triathlon Devices
Quote | Reply
I've been doing a lot of reading on Bluetooth vs ANT, powermeters with Bluetooth, Garmin Edges with bluetooth, etc. Is this a feature most of us feel is important in new devices? The ability to upgrade software on powermeters and tri computers (Forerunner, Edge) is a great resource to have. Is bluetooth something that you want in your devices? When will Quarq and the rest of the big players add Bluetooth? The live tracking with the Edge is a cool feature Bluetooth gives you.

Personally I think it's the next big thing coming and I know others have said it.

Thoughts?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Bluetooth Triathlon Devices [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As more people use their phones Bluetooth will become the standard IMO. Already more and more devices are broadcasting in ANT+ ant BTLE to be forward compatible.

The only reason ANT+ will endure for a while is that Garmin owns it.

There are already devices (ex. RFLKT+) that act as a bridge, converting ANT+ signals to BTLE.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Bluetooth Triathlon Devices [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One small point...the Ant+ devices can certainly upgrade their firmware, they just require a computer (with Ant+ dongle or usb). Using BTLE through a phone is more streamlined.

Either is fine by me. I just hope all the peripherals I want to get will have both until I upgrade my 500 and 910! Until then, I'll still be able to upload all my workouts via my phone from the 910 (Nexus 5 has a sleeping Ant+ chip!) and 500 (via a micro usb OTG cable). The tracking ability is handled by another app: google latitude or find my friends, if you are iOS.

So...there's not much interest for me about BTLE... yet.
Quote Reply