Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Blue Tooth Headphones
Quote | Reply
Looking for some advice on blue tooth headphones. I've now been through two pairs of Jabra Sport Pulse headphones, the second pair lasting just under 3 months. Unfortunately Jabra only warranties your first pair, the replacement pair are given no such guarantee. After my extreme frustration from a $200 set of headphones losing their ability to function without anything other than normal workouts logged, paired with the fact that battery life was only 4 hours I am looking for an alternate solution. I have heard similar things about the JayBirds. Anybody have any other alternatives that work for them, perhaps in a lower price category. I would feel less bad about replacing these on a yearly basis if I spent less money on them. Like to have them on long bike rides to answer calls from the wife or play music while I am running on the treadmill, not worried about incredible sound quality just that they work, and will continue to work after I've worked out in them.
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Tooth Headphones [tristartriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the PowerBeats 3.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have had jaybirds for a year now and 0 issues. X3. Great battery life and durable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife got me these headphones for Christmas that I like; these were only $65 on sale then but $82 now. They are bone conducting, so they work well for riding or the treadmill. I also like them for work because I can hear people coming up to my desk to ask a question. So far sweat hasn't killed them.

I had the Jabra and the battery kept dying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Believe it or not the Apple Airpods work really well. I've had mine since they were initially released and haven't had any issues. I've got about 1,000 miles running with them and about 250 miles riding. During activity I only use one (left ear fits better for me). Around the house I use both. Battery life is about 5 hours although I've rarely used them that continuously so it hasn't been an issue for me. I did use them for a 5.5 hour 50k a couple of months ago and they were still going at the end although there were periods during the race that I had them off as I wanted quiet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had pretty good success with the Mpow Cheetahs's for running. Do they sound fantastic, no. But I've been using them for over a year, and they haven't died on me yet. They say on my ears while running, and cost all of $25.

https://www.amazon.com/...1N75F50T1AQR33Y52AW6

AP Racing Crew|Cupcake Cartel|Picky Bar AmBadassador
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Tooth Headphones [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These airpods are hard to find it seems. Have to order and wait it looks like.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Tooth Headphones [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
These airpods are hard to find it seems. Have to order and wait it looks like.

Yep, they are in short supply at the moment. I think it's a 6 week wait at the moment. I ordered a pair for my wife for her birthday last week and expected delivery is early May. Well worth the wait.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the Plantronics BackBeat Fit. Battery life is around 6 hours (or maybe 7). It is plenty for a 100 mile ride. I have many hours of runs and rides with no issues. And, they let in enough ambient sound that you can hear the world along with your music.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bragi- Check out the Dash and Headphone; I'm very happy with both.
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Tooth Headphones [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I love the Plantronics BackBeat Fit. Battery life is around 6 hours (or maybe 7). It is plenty for a 100 mile ride. I have many hours of runs and rides with no issues. And, they let in enough ambient sound that you can hear the world along with your music.

+1.

My favorite headphones of all time. I would replace them immediately with the exact same if I ever lost them. I've had mine for going on 3 years now.

Link for the lazy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJLMBSO

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Tooth Headphones [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

+1.

My favorite headphones of all time. I would replace them immediately with the exact same if I ever lost them. I've had mine for going on 3 years now.

Link for the lazy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJLMBSO

Another +1 for these. I've tried a couple different brands and by far prefer these. The over the ear style keeps them in place, but they don't seal the ear so much that you can't hear traffic come up behind you. It's also easy to adjust volume, pause, or skip to the next song. I highly recommend.
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Tooth Headphones [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a set of sound peats. Cost $16 on Amazon have worn them for hours on the trainer all winter still work fine. Sound is adaquate if not good. Why spend more?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Tooth Headphones [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
I have a set of sound peats. Cost $16 on Amazon have worn them for hours on the trainer all winter still work fine. Sound is adaquate if not good. Why spend more?

^^^This! I've used Q7 headphones from Amazon for well over a year. They work well on the trainer and treadmill. They cost about $20. David K
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Tooth Headphones [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Believe it or not the Apple Airpods work really well. I've had mine since they were initially released and haven't had any issues. I've got about 1,000 miles running with them and about 250 miles riding. During activity I only use one (left ear fits better for me). Around the house I use both. Battery life is about 5 hours although I've rarely used them that continuously so it hasn't been an issue for me. I did use them for a 5.5 hour 50k a couple of months ago and they were still going at the end although there were periods during the race that I had them off as I wanted quiet.

bunch of caveats with airpods, price for one, fit doesn't work for some, and while they work with android phones the experience is definitely better with an iPhone. If you meet those criteria then airpods are remarkably good, much better than I was expecting.

Pros: Open design lets sound in and gives you more awareness of surroundings versus most earbuds that act as earplugs. Great for doing stuff in busy places, but terrible on airplanes or other places where you actually want sound isolation. Independently wireless headphones also allow you to wear in just 1 ear without dangling a cord somewhere and unlike most other wireless headphones they are fully independently wireless vs others that use a master/slave system. Battery life is pretty good and the charging case is a great design. Pairing and signal reliability far better than other wireless headphones I've tried but really need an iOS device to get the most of that aspect due to proprietary bluetooth chip.

Cons: fit is better than the wired apple headphones because there is no cord weight to pull them out of your ear, but still fit can be hit or miss depending on ear shape. If you want more security you can get cheap silicone tips on amazon that help a lot, but doesn't help you if they are too big for your ears in the first place. The volume / playback controls are also a big con since there pretty much aren't any. You tap them to bring up siri and issue voice commands to control volume/playback. It works ok as long as you have cell coverage but overall is a somewhat crappy system.

You can definitely get generic bluetooth headphones that do an OK job for cheaper, but having tried pretty much every other BT headphone recommended in this thread none of them were even close to airpods in my experience. I try and return a lot of headphones and I really expected to dislike these but they're definitely the least-worst products of this nature I've tried in a product category that still has a ways to go overall.
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Tooth Headphones [Jace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the MPow sports BT headphones. have a couple different pairs.
The only issue I have with the Cheetahs in particular is- when you run, you get a slight "crunch" noise with each footfall. But I've gotten used to that. great battery life.
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Tooth Headphones [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:

Another vote for SoundPeats from Amazon. I paid $18 for mine. I went through 4-5 different BT headphones from Amazon, sound quality was poor on many of them, fit bad on others. The SoundPeats sound very good and the fit is good as well. Have had them 6 months or so and they are still working great. If they break or I lose them I'll bust out another $18 and buy another set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on Bragi Dash. Love them. Only thing I dont like is that they fall out of my ear when I swim. I just might be a fast swimmer then... ;)

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a pair of Taotronics for Christmas and they've been very reliable so far through several hundred miles of running and trainer riding. Like others in this price range the trade off is sound quality but that isn't my main concern when running. On the trainer I mainly watch shows/movies on my iPad and they work great for that. $30 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/...XKTxL&ref=plSrch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the AirPods for everything but working out, but that might be an ear shape issue.

Bragi's headphones (I've got the Dash, not "the headphone"), on the other hand, are fantastic for working out. And they have a built-in audio player, so you can use them without having your phone around, which I've found pretty ideal for running.

I'm not into Beats, but I've heard nothing but good things about the new wireless ones with the earhooks.

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Tooth Headphones [tsdogma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tsdogma wrote:
+1 on Bragi Dash. Love them. Only thing I dont like is that they fall out of my ear when I swim. I just might be a fast swimmer then... ;)

I wonder if a swim cap with a chinstrap would keep them in since that would cover your ears more?

I just got my Airpods and haven't worked out with them yet, but I've heard they are great for it. And since you can wear just one at a time, you could theoretically get 10 hours of playback if you wear just one in an ear at a time (good for running and biking). And if you put the dead one back in the case to charge while you are listening to the good one, then I guess you could possibly get 20 hours?

I bought the aftermarket $10 silicone strap that can connect them so if one falls out, it's still "leashed". And also allows you to hang them around your neck if you wanted to. Sounds smart for the trainer.

Somebody from Northern Australia messaged me that he's sweated the hell out of them and they keep working. And included a pic of how to wear them on the bike so they don't fall out. https://www.instagram.com/...AZNoVHAzn0X5OzMp080/

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Tooth Headphones [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I love the Plantronics BackBeat Fit. Battery life is around 6 hours (or maybe 7).

THIS, until my Phazon's arrive (allegedly 'spring' of 2017...) The plantronics are not the best fit for my ears but they get the job done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi tristartriguy,

I have used the Jaybird Freedom (https://www.jaybirdsport.com/...ooth-headphones.html) for 6 months without issues, they are great.

Good Luck!

An age group triathlete just like you.
TopTriGear - https://www.toptrigear.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow lots of great and affordable options here. Going to give the sound peats a try just based on price alone. The $200 tag on these Jabras still left a nasty taste in my mouth, now I have $185 to relocate to something else tri related. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had my Yaybirds x2 on today and they have no dropouts on the bike and you don't get any sound in from upset cardrivers 😁 ...
Quote Reply

Prev Next