Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Blue Seventy Swim Socks
Quote | Reply
Does anybody have any experience with these? Are they good/bad for cold water swims? Do they stay on? Do they slow you down?

It appears they are not legal for USAT events.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Seventy Swim Socks [bigred3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have some. They look good to me, but thankfully I haven't had to use them!

It appears that they come in S or L. They have a 'gripper' type coating on the bottom. They come up above the ankle, so I'd assume that you can just pull the bottom cuff of the wetsuit leg down over them to keep them in place. The toe part is nicely rounded and fits to my feet pretty well. But like I said, I've never worn them in the water.
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Seventy Swim Socks [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There Awesome. Just put them on and then skin up your suit. Your good to go. They won't slide off and they keep your feet nice and warm....

And no.....they do not slow you down.

Don't forget the skull cap....
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Seventy Swim Socks [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are they supposed to fit under the wetsuit? I have an Aquaman suit with the high cut legs so there is no way these socks would go underneath, unless they are knee highs..

S or L?? What size are you/did you get? I am 10.5? L seems like it would be too big...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, if your wetsuit sucks, that's a whole 'nother issue... ;-)

the socks i have are a small. they are too big for me really, but i'd wear them in a pinch. also, i have freakishly small feet, so i am a terrible person to ask about sizing. call and ask them what they recommend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair, but haven't had the chance to try them in water yet. They fit great (9.5 in shoes, the socks are small), but they're not very tall so you probably won't be able to tuck them under your wetsuit. They're also very thin (about 1mm -- unlike regular scuba socks that are 3mm) so I don't know how warm they will turn out to be.

I believe that Blue Seventy make the claim that their socks are legal for racing.

John
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Seventy Swim Socks [jgrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I work for blueseventy so let me clear up a few things. Yes, they are USAT legal. Any race where you can wear a wetsuit you can wear the swim sock.

Sizes - Two sizes available, everyone upto a US 10 should wear the Small, anyone with larger feet should wear the Large.

Warmth - Yes they will insulate to an extent, certainly better than nothing for the really cold water swims. They are 1.5 mm neoprene.

Length - We are indeed making them 3" longer this year (2007) so this should solve the problem of not being able to tuck them underneath your suit (for most people).

Speed - Okay they are certainly not going to make you faster in the water, more comfortable, yes, but faster, no! As a result of not having ice blocks for feet though you may save time in transition and also feel a little more agile through t1 due to having some foot protection during some of those rocky, uneven swim exits.

Hope that helps

Ben Bigglestone
Product Development Manager
blueseventy
Seattle
USA
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Seventy Swim Socks [trizoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finally had the chance to try the socks in their natural environment (water temps in the mid-50s) and against my standard scuba socks (3mm thickness). Observations:

1. Fit is great (shoe size 9.5, sock size small) -- much better than my scuba socks.

2. Sole is made of some rather sticky material -- makes funny noises on hardwood floors or asphalt, but provides better grip on slippery rocks.

3. Rather short in length -- cannot be fully tucked under my wetsuit (but I have the same problem with the scuba socks).

4. Kept feet warm for the first 20 minutes with minimal kicking action; I started feeling the cold after that -- no such problem with the scuba socks. More vigorous kicking (similar to pool kicking) and my feet were fine for more than an hour of swimming -- I was overheating with the scuba socks under similar conditions.

5. Aesthetics: that huge logo looks rather garish.

Overall, I'd say they're a good compromise; the taller 2007 models should be an improvement, and may offer an unexpected heat benefit since cold water won't readily find its way into the sock. Otherwise, a move to a 2mm material might be useful (unless of course 1.5mm is the thickest legal material).

John
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Seventy Swim Socks [jgrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi John,

Thank you for the feedback. It is always good to hear from people in the field so to speak.

We are making the sock 3" taller so this should allow 'most' people to tuck them under the leg of their wetsuit. No plans at this stage to increase the thickness although this will be talked about at out next prod dev meeting. As for the logo, when you are a brand who focuses entirely on open water swimming as we do then you need to reinforce that logo at every opportunity, we do not have the luxury of branding a clothing line unlike other wetsuit manufacturers out there to raise our profile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sarah and I both used them at Alcatraz. I liked them. I felt like a Navy SEAL. They stayed on well and did actually help to keep my feet a little warmer. I think they also act a little like mini-swim fins and give your kick some more (legal) propulsion.

Perhaps the biggest benefit is that once you hit the beach and have to stand on a rocky surface they protect the soles of your feet. That's nice.

The other use I found for them is inside some swim fins like Zoomers that absolutely tear the tops of my toes apart. The booties protect your feet from the fins.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ben, I didnt know you were a ST'er!!

Did Ian tell you he stopped by a while ago when he was out for a wedding??

Happy New Year!

Courtney from Fastsplits
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Seventy Swim Socks [FIRMcourtney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Courtney,

Yeah I post every now and again (when time allows). Yes Ian did mention it, hope he looked after you guys ;o)

Happy new year to you, and I look forward to catching up sometime in 2007.

Ben

Ben Bigglestone
http://www.vo2multisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ben,

Do the socks keep the feet dry so that I could wear biking/running socks underneath and then just whip your socks off during transition?

John
PS: I work about 2 blocks from your office.
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Seventy Swim Socks [FIRMcourtney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've even worn mine as cycling socks as an extra layer for wind protection.

Courtney.. I keep forgetting to ask, I feel bad about ditching our bikes for you guys to haul back downstairs after class, do you want us to do it? I'm scared of the basement rats!

No, if you swim with them on, your feet / socks underneath will get wet. Sealskinz makes a neoprene sock with a collar on the top that they say will keep your feet dry, but I haven't tried them.

In Reply To:
Ben,

Do the socks keep the feet dry so that I could wear biking/running socks underneath and then just whip your socks off during transition?

John
PS: I work about 2 blocks from your office.
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Seventy Swim Socks [Trigirlpink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
of course i dont mind! i know how scary 'the dungeon' is, at least i get paid to go down there, id never make you guys do it!! besides, stairs cant be fun after those classes!
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Seventy Swim Socks [TriHanrahan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Ben,

John
PS: I work about 2 blocks from your office.[/reply]

Hey John,

As Chris said, no they will not keep your feet dry. Also if you ever need a professional wetsuit fitting then stop by ;o)

Cheers
Ben
Last edited by: trizoom: Jan 4, 07 12:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ben,

USAT legal?! I'm ready to go pick up a pair. Thanks to the chilly swim at Cali 70.3 last year, my feet were ice blocks for the entire ride, and were sore from the long T1 run for days afterwards (yes, I've got soft feet...)

Is there any official documentation from Blue Seventy or USAT about the socks' legal status? I checked your website and USAT's, and didn't see anything specific. Just trying to avoid having a debate with an unknowing and overzealous race official...

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Seventy Swim Socks [Trigirlpink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Ditching the bike," as in your're not outdoors braving the elements? Get outside and ride! Didn't 'Cross teach you anything? ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Seventy Swim Socks [The Other Josh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Charlie Crawford gave the okay. There is no official documentation I can supply you with however USAT will clarify that they are legal for any swim where wetsuits are permitted.

I have not come across any instances of over zealous officials regarding the socks. I am sure you will be fine.

Enjoy them, I believe they will make a difference.

Best regards
Ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the Blueseventy swim socks the day before IM CDA 06'. I"m not all that keen on the stuff on the bottom of the lake, the water was cold and the beach was rocky.

I loved the swim socks and would definitely reccomend them. They are comfortable, your feet do get wet, its not that awkward to swim in them and they do keep you warm. I put them on first and then put my wet suit on.

I don't know if they slow me down. They do stay on very well (only tried under the wetsuit).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's no retailer close by, are these available through an Online Retailer?

Chris

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Re: Blue Seventy Swim Socks [cvillatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please check our website for a list of dealers. It includes the various on-line stores that carry our range of wetsuits and accessories.

www.blueseventy.com

Thanks for your interest.

Ben
Quote Reply