Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bizarre ride: One crash, one fatality, four dropped...
Quote | Reply
We did 80 today. Aderhold, Pierre, Mikey, Bob Akers of International Bike Shop, Mario, Tam Markley and I.

We were riding out the Ann Arbor Training Series Criterium, were going to do the 40 lap "A" race and then ride back, about 110-120 miles total. We pretty much laid it down the whole way out to Ann Arbor from Dearborn at over 25 mph. As a result, the riders rotating on the front at over 25 inadvertently drop the four guys on the back.

About ten minutes from Ann Arbor Bob hits a chuckhole and goes down like a bag of cement. Blam. Road rash, torn bar tape. But Bob is tough so his is back on the bike in an instant.

We arrive at the race so early we do a few warm-up laps and decide we don't want to wait for the start. We hit it back to Dearborn but go north a few extra miles so we can come in on Seven Mile to Hines Drive.

Once we just leave Northville enroute to Dearborn, in bound at about 24 mph, everyone's phones start blowing up at once. Tom Markley busts out his Nextel and his wife is on the other end, obviously distraught, "A cyclist was killed just a few minutes ago at Hines and Inkster..."

We immediately hang up and phone Aderhold to confimr their group got back OK. They report they happened upon the accidnet three minutes after it happened. It looked like a car bomb scene. Two big touring motorcycles were completely destroyed, one with a blood stain as wide as the entire lane under it. The rider was KIA. The other rider was wounded when his motorcyle hit and actually broke through a large fence just off the road. In a field 100 yeards away was a Jeep Liberty with two broken axles, a missing wheel, massive damage to the left front quarter panel and, oddly enough, the floor boards blown up into the passenger compartment. The area was strewn with wreckage and taped off by accidnt investigators.

In the middle of the wreckage laid a black Cannondale, completely mangled, the only intact and recognizable feature were the handlebars. It actually appeared as though the bike were somehow horizontally cut in half. One wheel was completely gone, the other hang in tatters from the fork.

The rider apparently is a customer of ours. We tuned up the black Cannondale last week. He did survive according to family members on the scene, had injuries that may include two broken ankles. He was transported to a nearby emergency medical facility. Wayne County Sheriffs told me ther drive of the Jeep Liberty was uninjured as was the second motorcycle rider.

Weird ride. Group blown apart. Crashed rider. Missed race. Dead motorcyclist. Injured customer. Weird.

A lot can happen in 80 miles.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bizarre ride: One crash, one fatality, four dropped... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without being morose or morbid or depressing, I'd have to say I usually don't leave my house without feeling like I could possibly meet my maker that day. It's really not a sad thing for me, just a reality. It's really not a downer, but a kind of comfort. I've seen scores of people die, including otherwise healthy, young, athletic types that just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Death happens to us all. Sometimes this realization keeps me calm at times most people would consider to be stressful, tense, angry, or otherwise disturbing events....put into the big scheme of things, most of it doesn't matter so much. So, this realization about death actually improves my outlook on the moment.

All we can do is try to avoid it's early occurance, and be prepared for it at any time. Don't let it get you down. It can be very sad and disturbing for those that are left behind, but, from the moment we're born, we're all afflicted with a terminal condition called "mortality".

Glad you are OK.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Bizarre ride: One crash, one fatality, four dropped... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that terrible feeling too Tom.... I have gone through the same panic of scrambling through sales-receipts trying to figure out who the victim was..... and when you know that person, it really hits home...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this is the same accident, it sounds like the cyclist was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/...0411/lo_wdiv/2664566

Several Injured In Collision Involving Bicycle

A chain-reaction crash involving a Jeep, three motorcycles and a bicycle left several people injured Sunday.

A man who was driving a Jeep eastbound on Hines Drive, near Inkster Road, crossed the centerline and hit a motorcyclist, Local 4 reported. The impact caused two other motorcyclists -- traveling west -- to crash.

The Jeep then spun out of control and hit a bicyclist, Local 4 reported.

The driver of the Jeep said he lost control when he suffered chest pains, according to investigators. Police ruled out drugs and alcohol in the crash.

The extent of the injuries was not reported.
Last edited by: STP: Apr 11, 05 8:16
Quote Reply
Re: Bizarre ride: One crash, one fatality, four dropped... [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the accident.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bizarre ride: One crash, one fatality, four dropped... [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow--this story is just one of so many that support my stance of not riding on the road.

but, yesterday I had no choice--otherwise I would have missed my 40 miles.

I can relate to what you're saying about being ready to meet your maker, not to be bummer or anything. I pray alot (yes, me) when I ride on the road, and have the feeling that if I die it's ok. Sad maybe for my mom and husband but it will be ok, and that if I did die, perhaps it would be for the purpose of making other cyclists safe. All of this might sound crazy, but it keeps me from freaking out about things I can't control. I really do feel like everytime I ride (specifically on the road) that I have a high chance to getting killed. Maybe it doesn't make any sense to feel this way, or maybe I read too many stories about cyclists getting nailed, but I can't seem to overcome it. Yet, oddly enough, when I actually do get on the road (and not the usual bike trail) I feel calm..

anyway, enough of my crazy rationale. Tom, I'm glad you're ok and that the customer is too--for the most part anyway. God rest the soul of the man who died.
Quote Reply
Re: Bizarre ride: One crash, one fatality, four dropped... [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Wrong place, wrong time. A truly bizarre accident. In 23+ years of riding a road bike I have never seen an accident like this.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's this sort of freaky, right out of the blue, catastrophic event that I most fear - something so weird and quickly unfolding that you really have no opportunity to react to.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Bizarre ride: One crash, one fatality, four dropped... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is to bad...something like that happened to a local guy here. Sitting on his bike waiting for a light...crash in intersection, car flys off the road and hits him breaking some ribs and his bike. Plus the guy had no insurance....the whole situation sucked.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On Saturday my wife witnessed a van ram into a cyclist. I guess it was pretty bad, she didnt know the extent of the injuries. Now she doesnt want me to ride on the road anymore. Im tempted to make a jersey with the words "Dont Kill Me!" on the back. I have at least one close call on every long ride that I do. There is a real need for driver/cyclist education on rules of road. We also need more bike lanes or bike safe roads.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: Bizarre ride: One crash, one fatality, four dropped... [Ed in IL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, you are right.

One thing that is worth mentioning is that cycling is an inhernetly dangerous activity. People die, probably, every day. Sometimes they die poorly in a messy, gruesome way. It is part of our sport.

There have been recent threads on this forum about not wearing helmets on group rides, etc. This accident points to the need for helmets and the need to acknowledge that death is literally around every corner.

I personally know three cyclists who have killed on the road. One an acquitance, one a good firend, the other my very best friend.

This is a deadly sport and people die all the time. The number of people I know (personally) who have been killed in combat is the same as I know who have been killed road cycling.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw this on the news last night. According to the story, the motorcyclist that caused the crash had had a heart attack. Fortunately, my wife was outside and did not hear the part about the cyclist getting hit as Hines Drive seems a lot safer than most of the roads I ride on.
Quote Reply
Re: Bizarre ride: One crash, one fatality, four dropped... [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello, I ride Hines alot. I'm not sure its really safer. Between the people rubbernecking the surroundings and the fact that it has a nice wide shoulder, I think that cyclists and motorists alike tend to have their guard down. Normal road riding you tend to be more aware. Not sure but it seems like I hear more about accidents and near misses at Hines than anywhere else.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Bizarre ride: One crash, one fatality, four dropped... [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a crash like that in a car once - drunk in a BMW came down the hill, over the median, launched himself into the air, and landed his Beemer on the passenger seat behind me (stuck the landing, too). That was the only seat in the car not occupied.. All I saw was a car's undercarriage in the air above me, then bam! and I don't remember much else. Lucky lucky. Last year a cyclist was killed on one of my regular routes - the driver dropped his orange juice, reached for it and swerved into the bike. Nothing you can do to defend against loonies in cars..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's another sad story from SE Michigan yesterday. Makes me really think hard about how important road training is to me.

Ken

Car hits 2 bicyclists; teen dies Motorist ran stop sign on Gotfredson Road Monday, April 11, 2005 BY AMALIE NASH News Staff Reporter

A motorist sped through a stop sign in Superior Township Sunday evening, slamming into two bicyclists and killing a teenager from Novi, authorities said.

Washtenaw County Sheriff's Cmdr. Dave Egeler said police are awaiting blood alcohol tests on the 34-year-old Northville man who was driving the car, and charges will be sought. Police are trying to determine the speed of the 2005 Ford Mustang when the crash occurred, but a preliminary estimate was that it was traveling between 70 and 100 mph, Egeler said.

The crash occurred shortly after 8 p.m. at the intersection of Plymouth-Ann Arbor Road and Gotfredson Road in Superior Township. Three bicyclists were pedaling east on the right side of the road when the Mustang, which was southbound on Gotfredson Road, failed to stop at the stop sign at Plymouth-Ann Arbor Road, Egeler said.

Todd Schoenheide, a 17-year-old Northville High School student, was riding in the middle of the cyclists and was instantly killed, Egeler said. The rear bicyclist, Daniel Foster, a 38-year-old Livonia resident, also was hit and suffered a broken hand, Egeler said. Foster was taken to St. Mary's Hospital in Livonia.

All the cyclists were wearing helmets, Egeler said.

The Mustang stopped in a ditch several hundred feet south of the intersection on Gotfredson Road, police said.

The driver was taken to St. Joseph Mercy Hospital for treatment of minor injuries. The passenger, who was the registered owner of the car, did not seek medical treatment, police said.

Egeler said the three bicyclists apparently worked together at a bike shop and routinely went on rides Sunday evenings after they got off work.
Last edited by: kenwil: Apr 11, 05 15:20
Quote Reply
Re: Bizarre ride: One crash, one fatality, four dropped... [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only been hit once and it was on Hines Drive. I was definitely a victim of being lulled into a false sense of secrity by the wide shoulders and minimal cross traffic. There is something to be said for the benefits of being a little on edge. It heightens the senses.
Quote Reply
Re: Bizarre ride: One crash, one fatality, four dropped... [kenwil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Foster is a long time cyclist, friend of mine and we used to work together at a bike shop. The other fella who did not survive, also worked with Dan at D&D Bicycles in Northville, Michigan.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply