Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike transport overseas
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know what is the most cost efficient way to transport your bike when racing overseas?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike transport overseas [lmb05] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lmb05 wrote:
Does anyone know what is the most cost efficient way to transport your bike when racing overseas?

In a case on the plane with you. What race are you heading to?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike transport overseas [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. You can often get discounted rates through FedEx but the customs documents are confusing. I never did figure them out and just took the bike with me. Traveling from US to Switzerland was $150 each way. Australia on Virgin was no charge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plane for sure.

Delta was $150 each way to Germany. TribikeTransport was $650 total.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on where you are going, taking it with you the on plane is usually the cheapest and easiest. Also, be sure to check the airlines. I have travelled many times with my bike and the US carriers always charge you both directions, when in the US or overseas. It has been a couple of years, but British Airways never charged me for taking my bike either when flying form the UK to mainland Europe or when flying back and forth to the US.

Just remember, if you are going someplace that is a very busy race location and you are connecting, check the plane type. If is a small, regional jet they can only take a couple bikes so you might want to fly in a day earlier than the crowd.

Safe travels.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flew US through Toronto, to Frankfurt, Air Canada, checked bike hard case, $50. Pays to look at ticket price, flight may be cheaper but most US run airlines will stick you with a huge over sized baggage fee.
Last edited by: madonebug: Aug 1, 14 18:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take your bike with you on the plane. Get there at least a day before you need to for bike check-in. Verify the costs though, Cathay Pacific went by weight and costs a heck of a lot more (4x) than expected.
Quote Reply