Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bike tour - Washington state
Quote | Reply
Some of my RAGBRAI friends want to do a week-long bike tour across Washington state in June, east to west. Starting somewhere around Couer d'Alene (one of the guys has family in CdA) and ending west of Seattle (one of the guys lives near Port Angeles). Our initial thought is to ride north around Spokane then down to hit the Grand Coulee Dam and then head north to Hwy 20 and ride that across the Cascades. But we are really just starting to think about routes. I figured there might be some ST'ers in Washington that could help...

We plan on being self-contained, camping most nights but probably hitting a hotel for a night or two during the week.

Any Washington folks have thoughts on this? Is Hwy 20 going to be somewhat bike friendly? We're kinda shooting from the hip on this, the guy in Port Angeles just moved out there and doesn't have a great feel for routes yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tour - Washington state [IAMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might take a look at some of the routes used by the Cascade Bike Club for the RAW - Ride Around Washington. This is a series of rides, done over a 4-year cycle, which circumnavigates the state. This year's route is over the North Cascades Highway.

You can read more about it, and see this year's route map, at: https://www.cascade.org/...de-around-Washington. I'll bet you can find other RAW routes by searching RideWithGPS or MapMyRide.

Keep us posted on your planning! I think I may be spending a little time in CdA this summer, on certain weekends in June and August...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what type of bike you are planning on, but the John Wayne Trail goes across the state. It can get pretty remote but it is a lot of fun if you have a cross bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tour - Washington state [ShirasukaFu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on your definition of bike-friendly. Most of the highways (incl hwy 20) are speed limit 50 with cars going significantly over that in eastern Washington. I'm not really sure which ones have the best width / shoulders for that entire distance, so you should definitely check with some of the bike clubs to get more info.

You might consider going south from the Grand Coulee Dam instead. Take hwy 17 south then cross over on Chinook Pass. They only open it during the summer months and it generally gets a lot less car usage than the others. It is also the highest pass in the range, so you get bragging points :)

You'd also get to ride across the Narrows Bridge(s) if you go all the way to Port Angeles on that route.
Last edited by: spudone: Dec 30, 16 19:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grab a copy of "75 classic rides Washington"
http://www.mountaineersbooks.org/...Washington-P945.aspx
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tour - Washington state [Dumples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also just a note - on a June ride, you *will* want some warm clothes and rain gear when you cross the mountains, no matter which pass you choose. Rain is a toss up but it can be cold either way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there, sounds like a rad trip. There are several good routes, and Chinook Pass is definitely a great one. But if it were me I would take Hwy 20. Yes there are cars (it's a road after all), but there are also a lot of bikes on that route. I would head from Grand Coulee northwest to pick up 20 near Omak/Okanogan. The route from Winthrop up and over Rainy and Washington passes, and then down to Sedro Woolley, is fantastic, and a very popular riding route. The only people using that road will be tourists/vacationers/hikers/etc, so it'll be fine, especially during the week (could definitely be a mad house on the weekend). Plus, I think this route beats Chinook in the fact that Washington pass to Marblemount is 50+ miles of almost continuous downhill, so that's something. On 20 you'll really be able to see the change from eastern to western Washington.

Once you get past Sedro Woolley towards Burlington, take a little detour to do what is in my opinion (admittedly biased) one of the greatest 11 mile stretches of road in the country (world). Head north on Hwy 11 (Chuckanut Drive) to Bellingham. The 11 miles starts right as the skagit valley gives way to the mountains around Bellingham, and ends in Fairhaven, awesome little town/neighborhood a little south of downtown Bellingham. You could stay in Bham or camp at Larrabee state park, which is half way up Chuckanut (make a reservation). If you wanted to get to Fairhaven, ride about half a mile, and then eat food at my house, you'd be welcome (told you I was biased, I ride that route hundreds of times a year and it never gets old).

Then head back toward Hwy 20. You could technically ride 20 between Burlington and the turn off to Whidbey Island, but you don't want to. Take side roads around La Conner and hook up back with 20 as it makes a big left turn (south) toward Whidbey Island. Ride across the Deception Pass bridge (you can thank me later) and across Whidbey to Coupeville. Get the ferry to Port Townsend. Proceed to Port Angeles. You don't want to ride Hwy 101 west through Sequim to Port Angeles, that would be terrible. I can't suggest a route there, but there are lots of side roads, including up towards Dungeness Spit (there are some big road races around there in the spring, so I assume that the roads are pretty good to ride).

If you're really feeling ambitious, once you get to Port Angeles do the climb up to Hurricane Ridge. About a mile of vertical in 17 miles of riding. Very popular. Also lots of cars, but everyone is going slowly, lest they, you know, fall off the edge. My guess is that your friend will to that climb sometime soon, if he's living in Port Angeles and likes to do silly things on bikes.

Cheers,
-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tour - Washington state [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chinook came to mind one, because it goes right next to Mt. Rainier, and also because it is closed to commercial traffic (i.e. no big trucks) which is nice. But I've also spent a lot of time out on Whidbey and it has a lot of scenic locations. And by the time you get that far, a ferry ride might be a nice break. I hope you'll post an update on what you guys choose.
Last edited by: spudone: Dec 30, 16 23:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Follow CCF's advice and you will be very happy. Also, there is a bike path/route from Pt. Townsend to Pt. Angeles, Olympic Discovery Trail, that parallels Hwy 101 to get you out of traffic. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate on the west end of the route.

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tour - Washington state [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Also just a note - on a June ride, you *will* want some warm clothes and rain gear when you cross the mountains, no matter which pass you choose. Rain is a toss up but it can be cold either way.

For sure. There's a reason we call it Junuary.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This is great information. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. I will definitely update as we get things figured out.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tour - Washington state [ShirasukaFu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ShirasukaFu wrote:
Not sure what type of bike you are planning on, but the John Wayne Trail goes across the state. It can get pretty remote but it is a lot of fun if you have a cross bike.

Look into this if you aren't set on road/road bike. This trail crosses the entire state and you wouldn't worry about getting hit by a car. All the highways crossing the Cascades have high speed limits and narrow shoulders.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tour - Washington state [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
ShirasukaFu wrote:

Look into this if you aren't set on road/road bike. This trail crosses the entire state and you wouldn't worry about getting hit by a car. All the highways crossing the Cascades have high speed limits and narrow shoulders.
Should also add: if you do that trail, there is a long-ish unlit tunnel when you cross the mountains, so bring adequate lights.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tour - Washington state [isbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
isbr wrote:
Follow CCF's advice and you will be very happy. Also, there is a bike path/route from Pt. Townsend to Pt. Angeles, Olympic Discovery Trail, that parallels Hwy 101 to get you out of traffic. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate on the west end of the route.

Aren't there large parts of it that are actually 101 in that area?

Granted, 101 is *very* rideable*. So not like it matters either way. But yeah, the ODT is an absolute gem.

*But not around Lake Crescent, which is a little past Port Angeles. You can go on the north side of the lake on easy singletrack however.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well kids. We have a tentative route and four riders. It's kind of a weird schedule as one of our guys could only be away for one weekend...so we are riding Wednesday (June 14) to Tuesday (June 20). The Iowa guys aren't flying back until Thursday, so we have a day built in for contingencies (weather, mechanical, drunkenness, exhaustion).

The Tentative Route:
Wednesday, June 14: Spokane to Wilbur, 90mi
Thursday, June 15: Wilbur to Pateros, 76mi
Friday, June 16: Pateros to Winthrop, 43mi
Saturday, June 17: Winthrop to Rockport, 96mi
Sunday, June 18: Rockport to Coupeville, 76mi
Monday, June 19: Coupeville to Sequim, 50mi
Tuesday, June 20: Sequim to La Push, 88mi

Thoughts? Improvements? Small detours for things that we absolutely should not miss? If we are on still on this schedule through the weekend, I wouldn't mind doing some exploring along the northern coast, but will be with a group so that may not happen.

I'd also appreciate local knowledge on routes that may take us off the main highway. It looks like there are some roads that mirror Hwy 20 at times that might be better from a safety/traffic standpoint.

Oh and if you have an LBS that you'd recommend along the way, we'd appreciate that as well. I'd be shocked if we make it across the state without needing some kind of bike supplies - it would be nice to know a few trusted shops to stop in along the way if the need arises.

If the schedule hits anyone right, we'd be open to company. It would be fun to meet some STers along the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can stay an extra day, consider taking a ferry to Friday Harbor. Riding on San Juan islands is something everyone should experience. Consider a detour there since you'd be so close.

Edit: careful on highway 20. It can be sketchy. Your longest stage is taking you over the mountains. Do you know how much climbing will there be? I don't know off top of my head.
Last edited by: Dilbert: May 2, 17 10:20
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tour - Washington state [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first part of the day from Winthrop to Rockport may not be much fun. All the climbing (about 5500 feet) appears to be in the first 25-30mi, then it is a relatively steady downhill for the rest of the day. The plan is to have a shorter day on Friday to give us a bit of recovery for Saturday's ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IAMike wrote:
The first part of the day from Winthrop to Rockport may not be much fun. All the climbing (about 5500 feet) appears to be in the first 25-30mi, then it is a relatively steady downhill for the rest of the day. The plan is to have a shorter day on Friday to give us a bit of recovery for Saturday's ride.
Stop at Ross Lake or Diablo Lake and get a bite to eat, take a swim if it's warm enough, then cruise down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IAMike wrote:
The first part of the day from Winthrop to Rockport will be the most fun. All the climbing (about 5500 feet) appears to be in the first 25-30mi, then it is a relatively steady downhill for the rest of the day. The plan is to have a shorter day on Friday to give us a bit of recovery for Saturday's ride.

I corrected what you wrote for you.

Definitely stop at Ross/Diablo lake for lunch/swim.

There is a good shop in Winthrop (http://www.methowcyclesport.com/)

There might be nice places to stay in Marblemount if you can't find what you want in Rockport

Ferry to San Juan Island is a great idea (or Orcas, or Lopez)

I know I'm biased but I think you should detour to ride Chuckanut Drive (Hwy 11) from Bow/Edison to Bellingham

It'll be a rad trip and you'll see some really diverse climate zones. Have a great time and be sure to reach out with questions

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Winthrop to Rockport day will likely be the best. Expect plenty of snow still on the ground at Washington Pass. Consider a couple of parallel roads to cut down on traffic on Hwy 20. At Marblemount take a short detour on cascade river road to pick up Rockport-Cascade road. This will take you to Rockport on a very low traffic road. Then also consider S Skagit Hwy from Concrete to Hwy 9, just south of Sedro-Wolley. I've ridden both (connected via Concrete-Sauk Valley Rd and Hwy 530) and they are both lovely though chip sealed for a good portion.

Side trips:
Cascade river road is a long gradual climb out of Marblemount with significant portions on rideable gravel. The end of the road is probably the most beautiful cirque accessible by road in Washington. Tons of glaciers and peaks all around. But probably to far out of the way :(
The climb to Hurricane ridge out of Port Angeles is long but amazing. Strongly consider squeezing this in.
Port Townsend has lots of good brunch spots close to the ferry terminal. Cute Victorian town.
It is probably too far off your route but if you do take the previous suggestion to go by Chuckanut drive, stop in at Taylor's shellfish farms and eat some fresh crab and raw oysters. Wonderful fare wonderful setting.
Last edited by: Dumples: May 2, 17 19:42
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tour - Washington state [Dumples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on Hurricane Ridge. Who doesn't want a 17 mile climb to close out a multi day tour?

Cascade River road sounds awesome, I'm not familiar with it. I'll try to check it out this summer, sounds like a cool ride on the CX bike.

Edit: oh, just checked the map. That's the road that goes across the bridge when hwy20 turns after marblemount, huh? Cool, I've always wondered where it led.

Last edited by: CCF: May 2, 17 21:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been on Cascade River Rd. Stunning. Best hike in the PNW is just off that road. Hidden Lake. NF-1540 about 8 miles from Marblemount to the trailhead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be interested in a detour up Chuckanut Drive, but I'm just not sure that the trip will allow it. It seems like we're walking (riding!!) a fine line here between how many miles we need to ride each day in order to get to the coast...and leaving enough time to really enjoy the sights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would seriously reconsider the Spokane to Wilbur and Wilbur to Pateros segments. Not very scenic, just sage brush and large farms with very few amenities other than at Grand Coulee. It also can get very hot so carry alot of liquid. Personally, I would go the northern route through Colville, Republic and Tonasket. More scenery, amenities but more climbing. Ordinarily, you could bypass Pateros by going over the Loup Loup Pass out of Okanogan (north of Pateros, south of Tonasket). However, some severe mudslides have washed out sections of the road and I just heard today that it may not be repaired in time for your trip.

There is a nice wide shoulder for the climb from Winthrop to the Diablo Lake viewpoint. It gets narrower after that until you reach Newhalem.

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rode to Washington Pass from the Mazama side. No steep pitches. Road is currently closed to cars, but legal to ride Fri-Sunday. Just thought you'd like to know...
Quote Reply

Prev Next