Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike security for roadtrip/camping
Quote | Reply
We are planning an upcoming road trip through British Columbia, Alberta, Montana, etc hitting up various national parks. We will be camping at least part of the time to help with costs and will have our bikes with us. I have a Rocky Mounts monorail hitch rack which comes with a token built in cable lock (locks to the rack) and the rack has a locking hitch pin (again, token lock). Looking for tips for supplemental locks or best way to secure/hide bikes overnight and at trailheads while we are off hiking or doing other adventures. Assume that putting them in the car is not a viable option due to how much crap we will be carrying.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike security for roadtrip/camping [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trees with poison oak/ivy nearby are always a good option. Of course, I could swim in poison ivy and it wouldn't bother me. It's strange but I don't seem to get reactions from either.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a cable lock threaded through the wheels and frame locked to the hitch, a tree will work just as well at the trailhead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are right about the token cables with the hitch. Someone cut through ours in no time, however that was in a big city ( Vancouver) . If someone wants your bike they will take it. Some twisted steel cable locks make it a little more inconvenient for them.

Perhaps locking the wheels together with a u lock and putting the wheels in the car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chain and a padlock. Thieves at camp sites and trailheads come prepared for breaking into cars. They might have wire cutters, pry bar, and a screwdriver. They probably aren't going to have bolt cutters. A cable can be cut with wire cutters in a few minutes, a few strands at a time. They aren't going to go through a good chain or a good padlock.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike security for roadtrip/camping [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any particular chain/lock better than others in your mind?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found bike shops near our destinations and checked the bikes in for storage. Most shops haven't charged me for it (though I'm always willing and expecting to pay). Sometimes we drive a bit extra to get to the bike shops and back out to where we are camping or hiking, but I love the security. One bike shop I went to used the abandoned bank building next door as their storage space so my bike was in the vault while we were off marching around in the wilderness.

When this hasn't worked we've managed to jam the bikes inside the car. We bring a seat protector and I can lay the bike down on the seat that is tipped back (wheels off). We're in a Prius most trips and the back, including the back seat, is usually packed tight.

I managed this the last trip but we were backpacking, not car camping, so our stuff was more contained. I was so nervous about my spokes!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this last year. Drove from Dallas to Lake Placid and then back down the east coast. Camped in VA, NC, and TN and didn't have any problems whatsoever. I have a Thule hitch rack that "locks" and had an extra Kryptonite cable I ran through my hitch.
Quote Reply