Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bike pulls hard right after LBS cut steerer tube
Quote | Reply
I built up a new bike with a carbon fork/alloy steerer tube and rode it for a week without incident to make sure the fit was where I wanted it. Yesterday I took it to my LBS to have the steerer tube cut as I don't have the proper tools for the job. Now when I ride the bike at slow speeds and take my hands off the bars, the front wheel immediately pulls hard right. I should note that they did a crap job - my headset was too tight when I got it back and the bars were binding, one of my stem bolts were stripped, nothing was torqued to spec, and my front brake lever wasn't readjusted. I took the headset apart and reinstalled it, I removed the front wheel and inspected everything. Nothing is rubbing, and it all looks straight. There are scratches at the bottom of the fork which makes me feel they placed it on the concrete floor when they repositioned the star nut.
Before I call the owner today, I thought I'd check here to see if you had any thoughts about what might have happened. Could they have bent the forks somehow? Or maybe the headset was messed up? It's hard to adjust now - even with it boarderline too lose, I still feel it bindings slightly when I turn the bars right. Thanks!
Last edited by: 317: Apr 9, 17 10:18
Quote Reply
Re: Bike pulls hard right after LBS cut steerer tube [317] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe check that it's cut to the correct length for the spacers/stem (couple mm below the stem or spacer above the stem with more tube)

Loosen everything (stem bolts and headset bolt) make sure the bearings are installed correctly, make sure you've got a few mm of something above the top of the steerer tube, check then tighten headset bolt, lift the front, holding the fork in one hand and the downtube in the other, and push/pull the fork feeling for play. Likewise look for binding turning the bars (also check rear brake cable length as it sometimes fools people into thinking the headset it too tight if the cable is too short) then line up and re-tighten the stem bolts.

I also assume that it's not a carbon steerer tube, right? (No star nuts in carbon steerers)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A hacksaw and a steerer tube cutting guide cost about $25.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for checking the rear brake cable housing, it may be pulling/pushing your bars if not cut to the correct length.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike pulls hard right after LBS cut steerer tube [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
Another vote for checking the rear brake cable housing, it may be pulling/pushing your bars if not cut to the correct length.
This. It would explain pulling to the right.

It may or may not explain the binding though. Take it all apart and check the bearings cups crown and compression ring.... BTW the cap bolt should be torqued into the star nut about 2nm just enough to compress everything. And replace that stripped bolt. You don't want to have to drill it out in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May seem silly, but have you tried a different front wheel?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike pulls hard right after LBS cut steerer tube [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
A hacksaw and a steerer tube cutting guide cost about $25.

Tubing cutter costs about half as much.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies everyone. The bike is back at the shop and the owner is looking into it today. I have a feeling one of his part timers thought he could fix it and didn't know what he was doing.

Things I did that didn't remedy the situation:
-try a new front wheel
-flip original front wheel to check the dish
-disassemble and reassemble headset
-disconnect rear brake and loosened housing
-disconnect front brake and loosened housing (on separate test ride than the rear)
-check rear wheel alignment
-check alignment of stem to wheel
-check seat alignment

Nothing worked, so I'd imagine they did something to either the front fork or the headset, and it's just too slight for me to see.

As for why I don't have the tools, I build up a new bike at most once every few years, and instead of paying $25+ on new tools that will likely just sit there for a few years, I pay my LBS $5 and support them in the process. Yeah $5 isn't much, but it's something and they usually do a great job. I'm not too worried about them making it right. I was just stumped and thought this may have happened to someone else.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike pulls hard right after LBS cut steerer tube [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All you need is a hacksaw, you have to be a numpty to not be able to cut straight for an inch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike shops where I live would charge around $40 to cut a steerer tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
317 wrote:
-disconnect rear brake and loosened housing
-disconnect front brake and loosened housing (on separate test ride than the rear)

Smart! ;)

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Bike pulls hard right after LBS cut steerer tube [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stem is probably crooked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathletes are notoriously poor bike handlers. Are you sure it's the bike?
</pink>

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess is the guy bent the steerer tube when he was stepping on it to cut it.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike pulls hard right after LBS cut steerer tube [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The guy works in a bike shop, so I think it is simply an amusing post he has made up.........
Quote Reply
Re: Bike pulls hard right after LBS cut steerer tube [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not made up - I just haven't updated my profile in a long while. I work for the State of Wisconsin as a case coordinator for the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation. I left the bike shop about a year and a half ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike pulls hard right after LBS cut steerer tube [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the chuckle. I'm a BMX racer turned mountain bike racer turned triathlete, so I'm one of the rare ones that can handle a bike.

As for an update, the LBS put a shim washer between the top cap and the compression ring. The good news is the headset doesn't bind anymore. The bad news is the bike still pulls to the right. The shop won't do anything further as the owner feels there is no way they could have bent anything. I'm taking it to another shop to have things measured and checked for bends later this week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
317 wrote:
Thanks for the chuckle. I'm a BMX racer turned mountain bike racer turned triathlete, so I'm one of the rare ones that can handle a bike.

As for an update, the LBS put a shim washer between the top cap and the compression ring. The good news is the headset doesn't bind anymore. The bad news is the bike still pulls to the right. The shop won't do anything further as the owner feels there is no way they could have bent anything. I'm taking it to another shop to have things measured and checked for bends later this week.

So, you're a former diver, too...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you want measured?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike pulls hard right after LBS cut steerer tube [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Measured as in checked for anything that's bent. The mechanic at my old shop is back from vacation later this week and he has a method to check if frames and forks are straight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What method does he use to determine straightness (alignment)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the front wheel swing to the side if you just pick up the bike by the frame? I think what I'd do, since you are happy with headsets, is take the fork out and roll the steerer along a table top with the rest of the fork hanging over the side. You might just see some noodling that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could the frame be bent? Assuming its a carbon fork so I can not picture that the fork legs are bent or askew. David K
Quote Reply
Re: Bike pulls hard right after LBS cut steerer tube [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does. That's a good idea. I'll give it a go tonight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What method does he use to determine straightness (alignment)?

I honestly couldn't tell you. But he's an old school mechanic (he's been working on bikes in a shop for over 30 years), so I know he has some tricks up his sleeve.
Quote Reply

Prev Next